Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Maxxraxx Bike Rack Question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
CG-SC

2006 Range Rover Autobiography Supercharged Zambezi Silver
Maxxraxx Bike Rack Question

After the advice of a few on here, I'm going to order a Maxxraxx 4 bike carrier, question for you guys that have one - do you use a light board or not ?

I'm guessing with four bikes on the back it'll be illegal not to have one fitted as the numberplate will be obscured and probably the lights ? Stolen / Gone: 2006MY Supercharged LPG Autobiography - Zambezi Silver with Sand/Jet/Jet Oxford Leather.....

Post #102332 18th Jan 2012 10:11pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Having contributed to your original thread and as a MaxxRaxx owner, I'm not sure I would...... unless you need to tow at the same time. That Halfords one looked easier Confused

I don't want to put you off, as I've been happy with mine, but I usually tow a (boat) trailer at the same time. I took some photos at the weekend for you - not exactly as I would usually have it, but gives you an idea - I usually have it mounted in the top holes, but couldn't be bothered to take the tow bar off so put it on the botton - the padding I taped on is therefore a bit low.

This is how close to the bumper it sits without a load -

A close up of the spacers -

Once you load the bikes on, you need to use 2 straps that pass through the top of the upper boot - you tighten these up which basically pulls the upright against the bumper - hence my padding. The straps basically stop the bikes bouncing around and putting too much stress on the mounting bolts - MaxxRaxx say you need this with more than 2 bikes.

I also have some ski/snowboard mounts - they work well too - you spin the top bar through 90 degrees and have it parallel to the back of the car for the skis/boards.

If it's just for bikes I'd go Halfords / Thule

But in answer to your original question - yes I use a light board (unless I have a trailer too) - the lights are largely visible through the wheels, but the registration plate isn't. I don't have one of their mounts though, I use cable ties.

Post #102339 18th Jan 2012 10:52pm
CG-SC

Thanks Alister, you've got me thinking now ....... Confused I do like the fact that you can tow with it as well though.....hmmmm Stolen / Gone: 2006MY Supercharged LPG Autobiography - Zambezi Silver with Sand/Jet/Jet Oxford Leather.....

Post #102344 18th Jan 2012 11:18pm
Johnte

United Kingdom 

I got this one from Halfords - BIKE RACK

Got to say, very happy with it - lighting is also included in price Thumbs Up

Post #102354 19th Jan 2012 12:52am
Mutley

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Java Black

Hi guys this is the rack I have fits to the towbar I have had things like the one your looking at but this is far better & easier but it's expensive plus you don't have to remove to get the boot open it slides down to allow access see the video on the site

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4...e5K%7BW%7D

I have used it on 3 different 4x4's so u don't have to keep updating when you change your car plus it fits in the boot when u go for ride although it can stay on as it's secure & locked on to towbar takes 1 min to fit Mr. Green

Expensive but worth every penny Bow down Mutt
FFRR Black TDV8 Vogue MY08

Post #102368 19th Jan 2012 8:25am
Nick Ground

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Indus Silver

Well I have had my Maxxrax for years now. Used on P38, L322, Freelander so its a built to last piece of kit. Have the extension to allow for towing at same time too. However, if you buy one remember that they will charge you loads for a swan neck attachment if you have the detachable RR bar because they insist on a professional to install it. Also if you tow a caravan with an Alko stabiliser you will need to order the wider bracket for the standard bracket.

I recommend it.

I was talking to the Thule rep recently who remarked that the majority of bike rack sales in Europe are of the type which fit to the ball and support the bikes on their wheels and they where seeing the same trend here (he might say that anyway). I have one of those too but seem to use the Maxraxx more often.

Nick 2019 D5 HSE Lux SDV6 Indus
55 D3 SE
98 MX5 1.8 RS
gone 17 older variants of FFRR

Post #102380 19th Jan 2012 10:51am
CG-SC

Well I ordered my Maxxraxx today so looking forward to receiving it. I fitted the Westfalia electrics at the weekend so all ready to go....

To any of you guys with a Maxxraxx - where do you secure the additional straps that you need when carrying more than two bikes ? Doesn't look that easy on the FFRR as there are no roof bars ? Stolen / Gone: 2006MY Supercharged LPG Autobiography - Zambezi Silver with Sand/Jet/Jet Oxford Leather.....

Post #106028 7th Feb 2012 10:22pm
Alistair

They go inside the upper section of the boot - thees a strap with a kind of rubber coated cylinder on one end - the cylinder goes inside the boot an when pulled tight touches the trim to stop the strap coming out of the gap - if that makes sense.

There is then another piece of strap with a cam fastener on one end and a hook on the other - hook onto the rack and cam to the other piece of strap that's fed through from the boot and tighten up.

I've probably made that sound way more complicated than it really is Laughing

Post #106041 7th Feb 2012 11:07pm
CG-SC

So if i am understanding you correctly, it goes around the upper tailgate hinge ?.... Stolen / Gone: 2006MY Supercharged LPG Autobiography - Zambezi Silver with Sand/Jet/Jet Oxford Leather.....

Post #106043 7th Feb 2012 11:13pm
Alistair

Yep - I think I ran mine round the side rather than over the plastic spoiler, but can't actually remember as it's been a few years.... Confused Embarassed

Post #106199 8th Feb 2012 11:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1