Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Fleabay bargain.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
dave699

England 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey
Fleabay bargain.

Just grabbed 4 Pirelli scorpions (255/50/20) from the bay. Used, but described as all 5-6mm tread. No puncture repairs and even wear.
When I bought my car a month ago it had two Toyo's up front and two brand new Nexens on the rears.
I have an issue with some budget tyres, at least all the ones I've ever bought - the sidewalks always bulge out and it appears as though the tyre is under inflated.
I am going to have the tracking checked as the Toyo's (up front) appear to be wearing on the outer edges. I appreciate the mass of the vehicle and this could also be attributable to cornering forces.
Has anyone else had this issue with Toyo's or is it more likely the tracking?
I'm expecting more from the Pirelli's as they are considerably more expensive.
Luckily the 4 cost me less than one new one Very Happy collecting them tomorrow.[/u] 
Had it, loved it!
2007 Vogue SE TDV8
Stornoway Grey / Ivory
Climatic Seats, RSE, AFS, Deployable steps, iPod kit.

Post #126405 15th Jun 2012 8:57pm
Joe90

England 

The Pirellis sound like a good deal Thumbs Up .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #126409 15th Jun 2012 9:22pm
fisha

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

I number of possible things to consider. ( I have the pirellis and they are good )

THe load rating between the 2 tyres may be different. I've found that the load rating has a fairly big effect on how thick the sidewall is and consequently how much it bulges. I hvae a pair of Kumho KL12 and Kumho Solus in the garage and same size, different load rating, notable difference in sidewall.

Outer edges on the front tyres have always worn most on my L322, looking at other tyres, it seems fairly common on other larger 4x4s when I see them too. I think that also depends on how much cornering you do as well. V8 or else ...

Post #126591 17th Jun 2012 6:29pm
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

I'll ask the same question I always ask then. Have you done the chalk test?

All tyres have different characteristics depending on construction methods, materials, rubber hardness etc. The correct pressure for one will not be correct for a different make.

How to get the right pressures then? Find a quiet level piece of road, preferably a dead end on an industrial estate or similar. Inflate tyres to a known pressure and check with an accurate gauge. Mark a line from one side to the other, right across the tread face of each tyre (ordinary blackboard chalk will do fine).

Drive gently about 100 yards and inspect the chalk lines. If they are even then the pressure is good. If they are fainter at the edges the pressure is too low, and if fainter in the middle, too high.

Adjust until you get it right. And if it sounds like too much effort, well it's your tyres. I run Scorpions cos I like them but I'm now on about 28K miles out of this set with an even 3.5mm left all round. Plenty of people I know won't use Scorps due to poor life. That'll be wrong pressures then Smile

Post #126597 17th Jun 2012 6:47pm
dave699

Thanks fisha they are the correct load rating for the car.

Mzplcg - don't suppose you want to share the pressure you use, if indeed your running 20" wheels, this would be a great starting point for me? Thanks. 
Had it, loved it!
2007 Vogue SE TDV8
Stornoway Grey / Ivory

Post #126603 17th Jun 2012 7:15pm
LostInSpace

New Zealand 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE Supercharged Java Black

fisha wrote:
I number of possible things to consider. ( I have the pirellis and they are good )

THe load rating between the 2 tyres may be different. I've found that the load rating has a fairly big effect on how thick the sidewall is and consequently how much it bulges. I hvae a pair of Kumho KL12 and Kumho Solus in the garage and same size, different load rating, notable difference in sidewall.

Outer edges on the front tyres have always worn most on my L322, looking at other tyres, it seems fairly common on other larger 4x4s when I see them too. I think that also depends on how much cornering you do as well.

I'll second the importance of the load rating and having 4 matched tyres.

When we purchased the car it had 22's with 3 different brand of tyres and 2 load ratings and the effects were quite noticeable, the most concerning was the odd shifting behaviour of the gearbox (often reluctant to shift out of 3rd or 4th under high load) due to the different rotational speeds of each wheel picked up by the ABS sensors. Quickly moved to the standard 20's and 255/50/20's the gearbox now changes perfectly.

I know tyres are an emotional subject and everyone's got their own views, but for me, the performance and safety benefits of a quality set of correctly sized tyres and in-spec alignment the best part of 3tonnes of car are important.

I too had good luck sourcing a decent set of tyres from the bay from a local supplier and got to inspect prior to purchase. 2006 Supercharged
1990 Porsche 928 GT

Post #129616 6th Jul 2012 9:07am
TheAllSeeingPie

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged Supercharged Java Black

mzplcg wrote:
Plenty of people I know won't use Scorps due to poor life. That'll be wrong pressures then Smile

What pressures do you recommend for Scorps? I just got a set of Scorp Zeros and they are amazing, but I want them to last for a while since they were pricey! 
07 Supercharged - Still breaking her in!

Boot soundproofing part 1 - http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic15612.html
Custom exhaust - http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic15296.html
18" wheels for Brembo equipped cars - http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic15052.html

Post #129639 6th Jul 2012 10:59am
dave699

Already asked this question further up, maybe its a secret? Whistle 
Had it, loved it!
2007 Vogue SE TDV8
Stornoway Grey / Ivory

Post #129656 6th Jul 2012 12:11pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

Worth noting LR build in a safety margin with their door pressure sticker and it also assumes a near full car. I run mine at a little lower than Door Sticker especially in winter. Chalk test is good idea. Thumbs Up

Post #129660 6th Jul 2012 12:26pm
TheAllSeeingPie

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged Supercharged Java Black

I fear that a chalk test might be tough since we're flooded here and my valve stems are prone to snapping Laughing 
07 Supercharged - Still breaking her in!

Boot soundproofing part 1 - http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic15612.html
Custom exhaust - http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic15296.html
18" wheels for Brembo equipped cars - http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic15052.html

Post #129663 6th Jul 2012 12:46pm
gabbo

England 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

I used to have 22's on a pimped hilux and loved toyos. Under heavy driving I got over 40k on the fronts and 30k on the rears. Appreciate FFRR is a totally different vehicle but was going to change to toyos on the SC because of previous experience 07MY SC VSE (on its way)

The list of previous cars is long & some are boring there has been two RRC's and a very pimped hilux

Post #129869 7th Jul 2012 9:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1