Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic - Other Cars > X5 4.8 vs Cayenne 4.8 vs Audi S6 5.2 Avant
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
allycraven

Scotland 
X5 4.8 vs Cayenne 4.8 vs Audi S6 5.2 Avant

Right Gents, some advice needed from anyone who has owned or driven any of the above. Am looking to change in the next 4-5 months when i'll have had the FF for 2 years as it'll be too old to extend the full approved warranty and I would wake up every morning expecting the dreaded "Bong! please drive to the nearest dealer and prepare to get shafted" warning whenever I put the key in the ignition.

I'm looking for something that I can use as an everyday driver/load lugger which is also capable of putting a smile on my face now and again when I put the foot down on the B roads. The FF is great and I love it, but I just can't bring myself to throw it around too much - it just doesnt suit the car and to be honest I hate seeing a FF driven like that. If I could afford both, I'd keep the FF and just get a toy to play with, but finances and running costs just wont stretch to it....

I need something preferably <4 yrs old, space for 2 kids and their gubbins (one still in a pram) and also the occasional long road trip with luggage. I would also prefer AWD/4x4 given the winter conditions that can be expected up here.

I've spent some time looking/considering and the only real option in my price bracket (approx £25k) seems to be the X5, Cayenne or S6 Avant.

The problem I have is that if I go for an X5 or Cayenne, every time I got in i would be making a comparison to the FF and am not sure if the occasional joyous heavy foot moment would be sufficient to make up for the other compromises that would be required....

The S6 would be a different beast, but everything I've read or heard about it seems to say that it is a bit of a let down and not that much fun to drive. Now, if i could afford the RS6 then that would be decision made Twisted Evil, but its just out of my budget unfortunately...

Anyone with any experience that can help me narrow things down?

Post #129457 4th Jul 2012 9:14pm
wackyjim

Scotland 2011 Range Rover SE TDV8 Santorini Black

Ally... Interesting post!!

Never having driven the X5 4.8 I can't really comment other than if the ride is worse than the bog standard diesel X5 then it wouldn't be for me... I drove the Porsche Cayenne turbo a few years back and thought it was the dogs Censored , it rode and handled beautifully and the performance was fantastic which I suppose is why it is allowed to wear the Porsche badge!!!
The last one is more difficult I owned a 5.2 V10 S8 for 3 years and arguably it's the best car I have ever owned and if I didn't have the need for a towing vehicle then I would probably still have it today. The RS6 as you mention is awesome and I was lucky enough to have one on demo for a weekend from Perth Audi at the time I was looking at the FFRR and boy was I sorely tempted, I kept telling myself that I could put a towbar on it but common sense (?) i suppose told me that it wouldn't work and I bought the Rangie instead. The S6 is a hugely capable machine but I do think that everytime you jump into it you will always say "wish I had the RS"...your £25k budget almost makes that possible for a high miler with FSH???
Choice...Choices...hope you pick the right one!!!! Thumbs Up

Post #129606 6th Jul 2012 8:48am
Paulo

Scotland 

Difficult but nice choice to have, here's my tuppence worth....

X5 Ride is very poor and hopeless in the Snow, interior is very bland in my opinion and too many of them on the road for my liking. I also found BMW dealers to be pretty poor whereas Porsche have been fantastic, even although my car is 6 years old now..

Porsche Cayenne, I've owned one for nearly 2 years now... Admittedly it's only the 4.5 Tiptronic S but it fairly shifts... Great build quality, handling and interior. I like the ergonomics and Porsche servicing every 2 years, although I get mine serviced annually. My car has the steel springs rather than air suspension, and although the ride is hard the body control more than makes up for it especially on the twisties etc. I'm averaging 16mpg with my 90% city driving so something to consider.... My car has the Tequipment Bodykit fitted so it is much better looking than standard Cayenne's... Whistle

The two main problems on the Cayenne are Coolant Pipes (Plastic) leaking and the Cardan Shaft going... Both are around £850.00 to replace from a Porsche Dealer but I am 90% sure that the 4.8 V8 engine has the new aluminium coolant pipes fitted as standard. The Cardan Shaft would also be the re-designed one I think on the age of car you would be looking at. My car was also suberb in the Snow last winter, it has locking diffs etc. which i didn't even need to use and I pulled 2 friends X5's out of ditches/car parks.... Laughing

I was originally after a FFRR but after looking at too many dogs, and after test driving the Cayenne my mind was made up... I will still scratch the FFRR itch sometime... Wink

My mate has just bought an RS6 to replace his RRS TDV8, it is an absolute flying machine, beautiful interior and typical Audi build quality. His car is somewhat older being an 03 plate but for performance value for money, hard to beat. He is currently getting better MPG in his RS6 than he got in his TDV8 and he has a heavy right foot. His RRS was in the garage every second month, so it may have been a bit of a lemon but he does not regret the change... Plus he has a lot more cash in the bank now.... Laughing

The S6 with the 5.2 V10 Engine is a great car but in my opinion it is let down by the rather understated looks...
It needs the RS6 flared arches etc. to have any real visual impact...

The only thing I would miss with the S6/RS6 would be the elevated driving position...

I too am thinking of changing car in the next 2-3 months and the FFRR could very much be my next purchase..

Good luck with your choice.... Cool

Post #129634 6th Jul 2012 11:14am
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

I raced a mates 2010 Cayenne for 500 miles on trip to Scottish Highlands and lost by 30 minutes even at high motorway speeds. They are awesome if you like driving fast and want a 4X4....

PS: Not sure about the earlier models but should also be good going fast.

Post #129665 6th Jul 2012 1:51pm
allycraven

Scotland 

Thanks for your input gents, much appreciated.

I had almost written off the X5 anyway and your comments have just added afew more nails in the coffin...

The more I think about it, the more I am leaning towards the S6- really dont think I could live with some of the feedback i'd get if driving a Cayenne...I've given them enough abuse over the years myself!

Looks like I'll need to keep an eye out for a decent S6 and get out for a test drive, or wait for a sky high miler RS6 to fall into my lap....

The jag XFR was another option as they have fairly dropped n price over the last 12 -18 months, but boot space just too small and only RWD....

Post #129926 8th Jul 2012 3:26pm
allycraven

Scotland 

Thanks for your input gents, much appreciated.

I had almost written off the X5 anyway and your comments have just added afew more nails in the coffin...

The more I think about it, the more I am leaning towards the S6- really dont think I could live with some of the feedback i'd get if driving a Cayenne...I've given them enough abuse over the years myself!

Looks like I'll need to keep an eye out for a decent S6 and get out for a test drive, or wait for a sky high miler RS6 to fall into my lap....

The jag XFR was another option as they have fairly dropped n price over the last 12 -18 months, but boot space just too small and only RWD....

Post #129927 8th Jul 2012 3:29pm
Paulo

Scotland 

I think if you get a Cayenne with the Tequipment SportDesign Package or a GTS they look great, I'm slightly biased though.... Whistle

Click photo's for bigger images.... Cool

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Last edited by Paulo on 9th Jul 2012 6:40pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #130110 9th Jul 2012 6:01pm
Paulo

Scotland 

My goodness although this has high mileage, seems like a bargain.... Shocked

[/url=http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-Audi-S8-5-2-V10-Quattro-NOT-S4-S6-S5-RS4-RS5-RS6-/251101791922?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3a76d546b2[/url]

Post #130116 9th Jul 2012 6:38pm
wackyjim

Or why not consider the S8...definitely within budget and has a huge boot for all your gear Whistle

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #130140 9th Jul 2012 7:54pm
robbo770

Scotland 2005 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zambezi Silver

I had a 4.2 TDi Twin turbo A8 which is almost as much power as the S8 without the fuel bill,

I hated it as the car did not perform or drive as well as a range rover, hence I am back in one already, and will only now accept a RR as my car!!!.

Ally you will regret it, from your big beast you have..... Current vehicles
4.2 SC FFRR RSE 2010- facelift
Range Rover Evogue Dynamic Lux

Gone
Rejected RRS my14.5 nightmare
Disco B4 XXV convert
Freelander 06 SE
06 RFFRR 4.2 SC Vogue RSE
Audi A8 4.2Tdi Quattro (hated with a vengence!!)
54 FFRR 2005 model V8 4.4 Cobra Variant
53 Mitsubishi Shogun V6

Post #130148 9th Jul 2012 8:29pm
wackyjim

^ Mmmmh I actually liked the S8 but hey ho each to their own. Wink

Post #130150 9th Jul 2012 8:41pm
allycraven

Scotland 

Looked at an S8 before the FF and have to say that i was very impressed, but although the boot is huge it's still a saloon style letterbox affair and they just don't work for me as a family car - i like to be able to shift a washing machine / wardrobe if required...

Rob - there's a big difference between the 4.2 diesel and the S8. I too was unimpressed by my old bosses 4.2 TDI, but the S8 is something else...just feels tighter and much more controlled.

The new (2012) A6's are also down at S6 territory as well - the 3.0 bi-turbo diesel is actually faster!! Just won't sound as nice Big Cry Might push RS6 prices down though (he hopes...)

Post #130184 10th Jul 2012 7:48am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1