Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Bi-xenon shutter -Stuck in high beam
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
rads

2005 Range Rover Vogue SE Supercharged Tonga Green
Bi-xenon shutter -Stuck in high beam

As per title, I think the shutter for my bi-xenon passenger side headlamp is stuck on high beam.

Symptoms:

1) Headlamp was aimed very high, got occasional flashes from oncoming, or fog lamp flashes from cars in front.
2) no sign of any flicker or deviation when watching the headlamp as it was switched to main beam.
3) No obvious deviation in the beam pattern (though not 100% on this, inner main beam lights and drivers side headlight confusing the picture a bit).

All the adaptive bits are working fine. Both lights dance around on first switch on, lights swing with steering when underway and cornering lights work correctly.

As a temporary fix, I have adjusted the light fully downward (right to the end of the adjustment) where it more or less lines-up with the o/s).

Anyone been here before?

Can I get into the headlight to access the shutter (is it a solenoid, a motor etc etc).

Pin connections for a 2006 MY headlight (think this is post Rave, are the connections the same)?

Anyone got a passenger side adaptive bi-xenon left over from a 2010 conversion they would like to sell?

Any other thoughts? Ecu?

Many thanks

David

Post #160607 30th Dec 2012 9:52pm
daveo

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Java Black

can you here the shutter jumping up to hi beam position when you select hi beam, do it with the engine not running but with the ign on, you should hear it jump, well you will on the good one, i think its stuck in the hi position. one more thing.. Exclamation check it dont jump into high position when you put your ignition on as this would point to a relay or some other prob V8 facelift Range Rover Autobiography 22" wheels.
1976 Harley Davidson Iron Head Sportster

Post #160617 30th Dec 2012 10:20pm
rads

Hoped you would pick this up, as I see you've been pretty deep inside these!

So is the shutter controlled by a solenoid, and is the normal "resting" position, with no power to the solenoid, supposed to be low beam?

David

Post #160660 31st Dec 2012 12:20am
daveo

thats right, when powered it will jumps in to the high beam position. i do have the guts to a 2009 adaptive bi-zenon light buts is a complete tear down...
pin 5 and 6 on the back of the head light controls the the shutter 5=12v and 6=ground, you could check these. V8 facelift Range Rover Autobiography 22" wheels.

Post #160672 31st Dec 2012 1:13am
rads

Can I see / manually move the shutter with the cap off the back of the light and the bulb out?

Are the pins labeled? I don't think rave covers the facelift cars, are the connectors / pinouts the same?

Many thanks

David

Last edited by rads on 31st Dec 2012 8:21am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #160676 31st Dec 2012 1:22am
daveo

no not that good, its very tight..try what i said in the first post and if thats no good it only takes 5mins to take out the lamp, you will be able to see far better.. V8 facelift Range Rover Autobiography 22" wheels.

Post #160680 31st Dec 2012 1:35am
rads

Progress.

Shutter is sort of working, but not properly!

By carefully studying the good headlight through a welding mask you can see the shutter jump up over the lower part of the bulb in low beam, and the bulb completely uncovered on high beam.

On the suspect headlight, the shutter does no come right up, and is not a positive movement. It does move, so all control electrics must be ok, and solenoid is working. Suspect something mechanical wrong with the mechanism, or the shutter pivots.

Don't suppose your spare lamp is in a state where you could get a picture of the actual shutter mechanism, so I could get an idea of what may have gone awry, is it?

Thanks

David

Post #160749 31st Dec 2012 1:23pm
daveo

i will take a few snaps Thumbs Up V8 facelift Range Rover Autobiography 22" wheels.

Post #160764 31st Dec 2012 2:25pm
rads

Most appreciated.

Enforced family stuff for the next few hours, so no chance for more RR fiddling!

David

Post #160777 31st Dec 2012 3:13pm
Discotigger

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

Hi guys, I don't want to hijack your thread but I've got the same problem with my passenger side headlight. The shutter is stuck in the open position. Don't know just yet if something has maybe jammed it, had to replace my xenon bulbs when the passenger side bulb 'exploded'. What I'm wondering is whether it's possible to take the whole light unit apart, as there's a possibility that bits of the old bulb have jammed the mechanism. Also, I could get a replacement light inner unit off fleabay, but can't see if the unit comes apart.

Any advice or pics would be most gratefully appreciated. Bow down Bow down

Post #237134 25th Jan 2014 8:56pm
Discotigger

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

Quick update, removed the headlight today...not as easy as the powerful uk video makes out.. and cleared a few bits of broken glass that had jammed the shutter open. Works perfectly now, but still have to wait to replace the broken lens on the light.

I'm going to take some pics and do a 'How To' for the light next weekend (weather permitting), it might help other members on here.

P.S. It's a pig getting the light back in place, ripped a chunk out of my finger getting it back into the slots on the holder! Censored Censored But the end result was worth it! Thumbs Up

Post #237277 26th Jan 2014 7:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1