Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > *** 2010 in car pc project UPDATE ***
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
mattstevenson2005

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Java Black
*** 2010 in car pc project UPDATE ***

Hi All

Its been ages since i have done anything on the 2010 range rover in car pc project and i have deiced that i need some help from you guys out their to get the project moving again.

Problems i need assistance with:

Choosing the correct pc for in the car - anybody have any ideas? needs to be powerful enough to run windows 7 with as many onboard USB ports as possible, VGA for display, bluetooth, wifi etc..... Most importantly must be very power efficient and small

How to automatically power the PC on startup of car but to also project the cars battery from draining and auto shutdown. I want to try and make the system look as OEM as possible e.g. PC powers up with range rover logo on unlocking the car etc....

Any help or advice would be great, i want to get this project done and available for other people to use, but need to resolve these issues that have halted the project for too long!

Matt

Post #173510 20th Feb 2013 12:06am
Joe90

England 

I am a big fan of the Asus EEEPC range of nettops (daily use)

Something like an Asus EB1012 would be plenty good enough (Atom Dual core), v. low power usage, silent and small.

See my carpc thread in ICE regarding vbscripts for power management (although these were for a laptop, some of the same applies, but I cheated and used a button to turn it on Wink)

Plenty of solutions on mp3car about power.

Using a laptop offers further advantages of running off its own battery when car is off...... .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #173514 20th Feb 2013 12:31am
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

You'd need some sort of momentary relay for the power on. wired to ignition live, to replace the PC power on switch.

There are various instructons here -
http://www.the12volt.com/relays/page5.asp#ctm

You would of course need something to power off, or a more complex arangement to figure out if the thing was already on, before trying to turn it on again.

Asus isn't a bad idea - I've got a couple of eee901's waiting for me to get round to ebay as my kids now use iPads instead - they would be good and go for very little money - 3xUSB, VGA, SD slot, flash memory (not disc), bluetooth & wifi

Post #173519 20th Feb 2013 6:56am
SteveMFr
Site Sponsor

The largest selection of DC-DC power supplies and start up / shut down controllers AFAIK is the MP3car.com shop. Did you want to avoid ordering from the US?

I picked up a couple of MICROSPACEŽ MPC-pONE commercial PCs quite inexpensively on ebay. They have integrated start up /shut down controllers and will run on less than 9v.
Have a look around - you may find a deal. 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s
(wife thinks I'm nuts - prob right, too)

Post #173600 20th Feb 2013 2:11pm
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

Matt, I've got an asus eeeeepc hardly used if you are interested. Pm me if so. Thumbs Up

Post #173623 20th Feb 2013 4:51pm
mattstevenson2005

Dolphinboy wrote:
Matt, I've got an asus eeeeepc hardly used if you are interested. Pm me if so. Thumbs Up

Hi mate, i have a asus eee pc laptop already i am more thinking an asus eee box might be the way forward if i can find a suitable way to power it automatically.

matt

Post #173629 20th Feb 2013 5:11pm
Rob2529

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Oslo Blue

Matt
Could you cheat and use something like a micro switch in the seat base that was bum activated when someone is sat in the drivers seat? [img]http://www.fuelly.com/driver/rob2529/range-rover[img/]
04, 4.4V8, Vogue Oslo Blue with LPG.
"You can sleep in your car, BUT you can't race your house!!!!"

If something can't be fixed with a hammer....... You have yourself an electrical fault!

Post #173637 20th Feb 2013 5:44pm
daveo

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Java Black

hi matt,

this is the one i bought
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110437932159;jse...26_rdc%3D1
but it was from a uk site,one of them car pc sites, it has adjustable sleep times, set my one to 5mins so if you switch off and run in to a shop it will still be live and the pc will not shut down when you get back in..

funny i put all my stuff in a box the other day as never managed to get past the switch programming..
dave V8 facelift Range Rover Autobiography 22" wheels.
1976 Harley Davidson Iron Head Sportster

Post #173640 20th Feb 2013 6:20pm
mattstevenson2005

ok after an entire day of researching and looking for ideas of using an asus eee box then contemplated on building a custom mini-itx machine the answer has been staring me right in the face all along Embarassed i am going to use one of my HP Compaq D8200 ultra slim desktop computers i have spare at home it has a intel i5 cpu, 4gb ram, SSD hard drive, slot loading dvd and luckly it is powered by a 19v external PSU block which means i can use the 12v DC to 19v DC converter i found for powering the asus eee box idea i had. http://store.mp3car.com/Carnetix_CNX_P1900...wr-010.htm

So now i will be spending tomorrow transferring all the range rover software over to it and get it configured and working on the bench, need to order one of the 12v - 19v converters to then allow me to test it in the car.

If anyone know where i can buy one of these http://store.mp3car.com/Carnetix_CNX_P1900...wr-010.htm without having to order it from the US i would be very grateful! Very Happy Very Happy

** Dave **

I bought a M4 atx car power supply for the project last year but never got round to using it my thoughts now are a full atx computer is too big to fit in the range rovers tight space. All my stuff has been in boxes for about a year now and i have decided that i must finish the project i am getting far too many emails from other interested range rover drivers to let the project just fade away.

Matt

Post #173677 20th Feb 2013 10:27pm
mattstevenson2005

ok so i have spent the day installing windows 7 and the range rover software on to the PC i will be using in the car, and as always have hit a bit of a stumbling block Censored When i originally designed the range rover software it was designed for a screen resolution of 1024 x 600 which is what the screen res of the first device i was going to use supported. Now i have come to use a different device it doesn't support the 1024 x 600 resolution. I have tried using powerstrip to create a custom resolution but the Intel HD graphics drivers dont allow you to do that. Censored Censored

Here is a pic of the system up and running showing the problem with the screen resolution issue.

Click image to enlarge

Therefore to make it easier for everyone who wants to copy this system into their cars i have decided to recreate the software suitable for standard resolution of 1024 x 768. Rebuilding the software will allow me to fine tune all the config and allow me to simplify the code and options. I have also decided that i am going to cut down on the number of features available to start off with.

I will be concentrating on the following key areas for the first release of the software:

Navigation
Audio (for control of the cars built in systems)
Vehicle Info
Settings

All the other areas of the system will be worked on after the system is up and running with basic functionality. Very Happy

Good days work so far, now the hard slog begins with redesigning and reprogramming the software. Confused

Matt

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #173788 21st Feb 2013 5:22pm
GraemeC

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver

I certainly can't add anything of a technical nature, so will make do with posting to show my support - a great project, looks like you can achieve some really useful functionality, keep going Matt! 2007 Zermatt Silver TDV8 Vogue SE - now sold but was a great car!

Post #173830 21st Feb 2013 8:53pm
daveo

matt, i stopped the project due to the problems with the switches,have you overcome this, Shocked i got very close with the joycon unit but just could not get it right, V8 facelift Range Rover Autobiography 22" wheels.

Post #173841 21st Feb 2013 11:38pm
mattstevenson2005

Hi Dave, not overcome it yet - but i have found a little more info on the ardunio my plan to start with is to just get some standard buttons to work (not using the factory circuit board to start with) then once the software works with the standard buttons i will know the code works and i will try again to get the factory circuit boards to work.

My main aim at the moment is to rebuild the software in the bigger resolution to allow it to work on standard screens and to reduce the number of features available to start with. As it standards the software is made up of 46 separate menus with 119 individual image files which make it work so i want to drastically reduce this to simplify the coding behind the software.

I havent given up on it, I'm determined to get it finished asap!

Matt

Post #173900 22nd Feb 2013 12:37pm
daveo

here is my board, its a 2.2ghz with 1gig of ram, it is only 200mm by 200mm with one pci slot for the camera card,it has a full size atx plug so no probs with my car pc power supply

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  V8 facelift Range Rover Autobiography 22" wheels.

Post #173938 22nd Feb 2013 6:00pm
davetrees

Australia 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Zambezi Silver

daveo did you have any luck with the arduino chip I sent you?

Post #174024 23rd Feb 2013 9:27am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>