Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > LPG > LPG in Canada - many questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RR2008HSE

Canada 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black
LPG in Canada - many questions

I'm in Canada and propane conversions are extremely rare here for private cars. However, as we don't get diesel Land Rovers here, and you know how a V8 petrol likes to drink, I'm interested in LPG. Petrol may not be UK expensive here, but it's still pretty bad and it's not going to get better. I've got a number of basic, newbie-type questions.

I spoke to a man at a car show yesterday who does installations. He mentioned a system called "Prinz". Is this a suitable system for my car? I have a 2008MY FFRR with the NON-supercharged Jaguar V8.

I saw on the site that the BMW engine took well to LPG, but the Jag could have valve issues. The salesman mentioned a 'valve lubricating additive' that would be installed to eliminate this problem. Does it? Will the engine get anymore wear or problems than if it ran on petrol?

How easy is the conversion? Not only is LPG rare here, so are Range Rovers. They have never done one before and I don't like to be a Guinea pig. Is this straight forward?

Where is the best place for the tank? I like my spare tyre where it is and I don't like the idea of moving the compressor pump or anything else.

Where is the best place for the filling nozzle? The vehicle he showed me had it drilled into the rear bumper. That would be OK on a Defender, but not a FFRR. Has anyone found a nice, discrete place for it? Same question with the LPG fuel gauge.

Are there any extra LPG costs other than the fuel? Does it require any servicing?

Price quoted was $C5000 (that's about 3240GBP) for the full install, including labour. Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks in advance. Bow down

Post #180138 28th Mar 2013 7:34pm
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

I suggest to do a little search on here and you will find most of the answers. Prins is one of the better known systems and if I am correct a Dutch company. Over in Holland there is LOT of experience with LPG (I have had several cars on it).

Valve lube system is recommended (details on this forum) and I suggest to go for a system that the manufacturer (Prins) says is suitable for your engine. Have a look at the main website of the big ones in Holland (pretty sure you can select English as a language).

My favourite place for the filler is behind the rear license plate (had that on my GMC).

I would definitely consider putting mine on LPG in a country where it makes sense economically (having had the experience.

Good luck.

Found it Smile
http://www.prinsautogas.com/en/ MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #180147 28th Mar 2013 8:14pm
SoggyBottoms

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue Supercharged Zambezi Silver

I have the prinz system with luber on my SC. I have a toroidal 100ltr tank in the spare wheel well and the compressor relocated to the RH rear cubby hole. Sealant goo and electric compressor instead of spare wheel
I find it a very nice system. Only notice the performance issue if I'm embarrassing chavs. even then I know but they don't.
I get about 220 miles on 80ltrs of gas with very mixed miles with a lot of town so it's significantly cheaper than petrol to run and not dissimilar to diesel.
I can't recall the fitting cost - somewhere over £2k but the V8 needs a little more kit than other cars. may be worth shopping around / going further afield with that quoted price

Post #180150 28th Mar 2013 8:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1