Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Roof Rails and Cross Bars
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
haaris

Ireland 2011 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey
Roof Rails and Cross Bars

Hi

Is it necessary to have roof rails fitted in order to install the bars? Photos suggest that you can use the cross bars independently. However, someone purchased cross bars from ebay and the comments from the seller suggested that rails are a requirement.

My need is for fortnightly use to carry a 9'5" surfboard, maybe 2 boards. 20-30kgs max. I will often take the bars off when finished.

If it is ok to use these cross bars (part no. VUB502790 SPORTS BARS L322 RANGE ROVER), can these be mounted front and rear, rather than front and middle.

Thanks

Haaris

Post #18712 24th May 2010 9:49pm
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

Yes, you can just use the bars.

See my post from last week: http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic2167.html 

Post #18719 25th May 2010 9:06am
haaris

Hi

but can it be used front and rear? Image shows middle one is a different size to front.

Thanks

Haaris

Post #18736 25th May 2010 12:47pm
delamo

England 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Tonga Green

Hi haaris, the sports bars you mention should fit within the original roof tracks on your car if you tilt open the small flaps that are along each track using a coin or screwdriver.

The two bars that are provided only span the front and middle fittings because they are different lengths - not sure if LR used to offer an additional third (narrower) bar for the rear span - but they do not seem to sell these items any longer - according to my LR dealers parts department.

On the thread he mentions, dan_uk_1984 very kindly provided me with BRITPART's details who should be able to provide me with replacement retaing screws for the ones I have lost - they may be able to help you also.

They show on the label that they can carry loads up to 100kgs - so your surf boards will be fine.

If you really need a bar that spans the rear width but are unable to find one - I have an idea Idea ...

I looked at the construction of the bars and you could consider modifying them by triming approx 10mm off each end of the bar with a hacksaw Exclamation - unscrew the plastic feet at each end of the bar - you would then need to fit the feet to each side of the roof track to establish the exact width between the feet and before cutting the bar!

WhistleBut don't blame me if this goes wrong! - I will remove this post and deny all knowledge Laughing

Post #18740 25th May 2010 1:00pm
delamo

England 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Tonga Green

dan_uk_1984 wrote:
delamo wrote:
I think the front roof bar only fits in that 1 position because of its width, whereas the rear bar (the narrower bar) can fit in either middle or rear positions - depends on the length of the load you intend to carry.

I double checked what I stated on the last thread dan - I was wrong! Embarassed ...

The width between the rear roof track flaps is even narrower so the 'middle' bar don't fit - sorry.

Post #18741 25th May 2010 1:08pm
haaris

Thanks for the replies and help. Didn't
see the detailed reply, must learn to use scroll bar on mac before the cross bars on rr!!!

Post #18745 25th May 2010 1:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1