Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Need new tyres, advice please.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RR2008HSE

Canada 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black
Need new tyres, advice please.

My 2008 MY (NA petrol) is in need of new tires. It came with the 20" wheel option, so I sticking with it and will need 255/50r20 tyres.

I'm considering the following (all about the same price):
Yokohama Prada Spec-X
Nitto NT 420S
Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza

Any advice? I'll like good comfort and performance, dry, WET and snow capability and nicely quiet tyres. Some off roading, but nothing extreme.

There's also the OEM tyre (Continental ContiCrossContact UHP), but at a significant premium. Spec wise, it doesn't seem any better than the others except for a higher speed rating (Y vs V). As you know, even V rated tires exceed the top speed by a good 20 mph, so that's not a factor.

I'm currently running some Toyos that have been excellent.

I'm having trouble deciding, so knowledgeable input would be appreciated. Cheers. Bow down

Post #202754 6th Aug 2013 10:06pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

The contis dont seem to get a particularly good rep on here, wearing unevenly.

I currently have a set of michelin diamaris on my car, they are pretty good tbh and are wearing nicely, however i doubt they would be great in heavy snow or particularly good off road

Can you get pirelli scorpion zeros over there, they seem to be fairly universally recommended and are all weather tyres with good cold weather oerformance as well as decent off road performance whilst being good on road as well.

http://www.pirelli.com/tire/ca/en/suv/shee...tion%3DSUV There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #202758 6th Aug 2013 10:37pm
Katash

England 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

Quote:
I'm currently running some Toyos that have been excellent.

Stick with what you know Thumbs Up

I have Toyos on front and Nexens on rear - when the fronts need changing I'll stick Nexens on there too and they are <£100 each both Toyo and Nexen feel fine - at the end of the day a RR is never going to be a sports-car

Post #202760 7th Aug 2013 5:24am
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Those models of tyre are not common over here, we seem to get the Contintental Cross Contact, Pirelli Scorpion Zero and Michelin Diamaris. The latter are quite rare. I've got those on the TDV8 which Fanders has bought and have to say I think they're an excellent tyre.

In the time I've had them on they've done about 35,000-40,000 miles, never had a puncture, never had to balance them, never had any air leakage, run as smooth as silk on the road and are nice and quiet at speed. The problem is, they're damned expensive.

If I had kept the car longer I'd have replaced them for the winter with Nexen Roadians all round as said above, they are £100 a corner asa opposed to £280 and have a good reputation. I noticed the other day that Kia cars (from Korea) come with these on from new out of the factor, probably because they're a Korean brand, but still, Kia give their cars a 7yr warranty and therefore unlikely to fit something that's going to cause them issues. Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #202770 7th Aug 2013 7:42am
Mr Tee

Scotland 

I run the Yoko Parada on 22"'s. They have been fantastic so far, 1 year in & no problems at all. Made a big difference getting a full alignment done though.

Post #202784 7th Aug 2013 9:15am
RR2008HSE

Thanks for all the advice. Very Happy I'll save my money when it comes to the Contis, then. Whistle

Yes, I've noticed many of the tyres listed on the forum seem to be different from what I can buy. I'd keep the Toyos, but the tyre dealer doesn't have them. I'm sure the Michelin Diamaris are great, but they're twice the price of the others I was looking at, and wondered if they were worth it.

Mr Tee, I've also spoken to a few others, who have echoed your recommendation. Given the set I'm selecting from, I think that's where I'll go. Bow down

Thanks again to all. Bow down I have until the end of the months, so advice is still welcome. Thumbs Up

Post #202895 7th Aug 2013 11:58pm
Mr Tee

Scotland 

Thumbs Up

Post #202912 8th Aug 2013 8:23am
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

You could consider Uniroyal Rainsport2 XL although not sure if you can get them where you are (and here @ camskill.co.uk they are showing as out of stock/ can be hard to come by). Superb all round tyre and can be bought at lower cost than many 'premium brand' tyres.

Post #202925 8th Aug 2013 9:34am
RR2008HSE

Thanks, pld118. Bow down cheap & good are a rare and good combo. Unfortunately, I haven't come across those for sale here.

Post #202993 8th Aug 2013 7:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1