Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Thought about putting 2 Stroke oil in your tank?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black
Thought about putting 2 Stroke oil in your tank?

This is something for us wheezy diesel owners.

It seems there is great interest on the Freelander 2 and RRSport forum about using 2 stroke oil in your car to improve performance and less sooty deposits.

Instead of repeating it all heres some links, the best one to follow, albeit quite long is the original thread on the Freelander 2 forum.

I filled up tonight and put 450ml of 2 stroke in with my nearly full tank of 95 litres. I'm going to do it about half a dozen tanks in a row to see if I too see an improvement. Literally owners around the world are seeing significant improvements in performance and economy. Interesting stuff.

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic11789.html

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic878.html?highlight=stroke+oil Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #1129 26th Oct 2008 8:16pm
ken

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Good luck

Would never try this on my TDV8, company L200's had issues as did the X5's now as the TD6 is BMW sourced there may be an issue. Of course there might not be any issues at all there may as you say even be an improvement so I guess only time will tell. keep us posted

Tried Diesel additives whilst they made significant improvement in Morocco there was none in the UK that could be felt

Post #1131 26th Oct 2008 9:26pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

An update:

I've been adding 2 stroke oil as per the thread above and my conclusion is pretty inconclusive!

I did not notice the car being quieter on cold start

I did not notice there was less smoke under throttle

I did not gain any fuel economy, if anything, it dropped slightly by about 1mpg on average over the 4 tanks of fuel I tried it with.

Other people apparently have seen good results. Nothing bad came of it but I think I'll not bother. Worth a try. Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #1276 12th Nov 2008 6:09pm
ken

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Thanks for the update Thumbs Up

Post #1280 13th Nov 2008 8:14am
Daniel

2005 Range Rover HSE Td6 Giverny Green
Re: Thought about putting 2 Stroke oil in your tank?

[quote="RRUK"]This is something for us wheezy diesel owners.

It seems there is great interest on the Freelander 2 and RRSport forum about using 2 stroke oil in your car to improve performance and less sooty deposits.

Instead of repeating it all heres some links, the best one to follow, albeit quite long is the original thread on the Freelander 2 forum.

I filled up tonight and put 450ml of 2 stroke in with my nearly full tank of 95 litres. I'm going to do it about half a dozen tanks in a row to see if I too see an improvement. Literally owners around the world are seeing significant improvements in performance and economy. Interesting stuff.

I'm not sure if this is of any help but here in Australia we have just entered the brave new world of low sulphur diesel. Sulphur is a natural lubricant in petro diesel and its % reduction over the last few years has seen a lot of maintenance issues with diesel injector pumps. It has long been good practice (even in the old days of high sulphur diesel) to add either ATF or 2 stroke lubrication oil into diesel as a lubricant.

I'm informed that local Diesel injection workshops are full of pumps that have failed due to the low lubrication characteristics of modern diesel fuels.

With low sulphur and extra low sulphur diesel I would assume that the lubrication benefits are even more significant.

Post #20390 17th Jun 2010 7:31am
jope

Norway 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Java Black

adding 2 stroke oil to diesel is common in Norway at winter. At winter the Diesel is added additive product so the diesel will not freeze if the cold weather turns in. -20 to -40 degrees Confused

So here it's common to add 200-400 ml to a full tank a couple of times in the winther. This is both for lubricate diesel pumps but also injectors.

Post #20400 17th Jun 2010 9:04am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1