Home > Wheels & Tyres > Does a RR really need winter tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
steptoe

England 
Re: Does a RR really need winter tyres

wanderer wrote:

So, before I spend the better part of four figures, does a RR really need winter tyres or am I being overly concerned?

Thanks

You need someone to explain the difference between "traction" and "grip". Very Happy

Post #207667 3rd Sep 2013 10:05am
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

For peace of mind a cheap set of winter tyres can do a much better job of stopping any vehicle in snowy and icy conditions.

If you were in any of the situations above and you couldn't be out of work for a few days or had a bun in your ladies oven or such then for the small cost its worth taking.
As is reading up on it and taking onboard the advice that its the driver that causes most incidents not the vehicle.

Buying now you could easily enough get a cheap set of 18" wheels and tyres or maybe 19" if lucky for under £500

Vred wintrac 4's get good write ups but are not cheap and do last a fair while.

When your standard road tyres get below 4/5mm it doesn't matter if they are M&S rated or not as grip drops massively and the extra slits and cuts in the tread for snow/ice grip are all but worn away by then. Just look on ebay to see what i mean about worn tyres being a minefield. They can be good and they can be bad.
Just be careful if buying used tyres as the danger crowd that say they will kill you the moment you drive off could be lurking around Wink FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #207674 3rd Sep 2013 11:04am
Fame

Portugal 2002 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black

Only reason I have not already sold this IPad ( to someone I don't like) is that I was thinking of getting the awaited new Gap 11d tool to use with it.Was going to enquire about Galaxy in electronic section, so thanks for the advice, will look at the prices here tomorrow.
BILLTU
Interesting comments on yourBMW. When living in Amsterdam,(23 years) I was dumb enough to drive a BMW 1979 323i, and " enjoyed" some nightmare trips on my all year round,summer tyres. Once in Switzerland, skiing. I could not move the thing from the parking outside my chalet. An interested crowd of onlookers were watching. Eventually, a local Swiss came over, opened my door and motioned me to get out. He got in, me looking sheepish, and he proceeded to give me a driving lesson.After about 5 minutes, spinning wheels etc,HE sheepishly got out and apologetically removed himself. My wife is a very technical lady, she had gone off to the kitchen, come back with a salt- cellar, and proceeded to sprinkle a tiny amount behind (under) each rear wheel. I then after giving her a look of " are you nuts or what" EFFORTLESSLY reversed out.
Opposite story here, bear with me....
On hitting Europe, fresh from extricating myself from S . Africa, I decided to drive up a mountain in the Vosges.In my Mercedes 220S 1959 , shod with new Dunlop SP's ( Summer tires) I drove up this mountain, where nearly every other more modern vehicle even had SNOW CHAINS. Never had a problem, like on Tarmac.
So, agree Eugene, the weight is a big factor and Vreds are top- notch for the FFRR. Range Rover Vogue TD6 2002
Defender TD5 90Hard Top 2001
Range Rover Classic TDi 1994
Mercedes Benz 1959 220S Sedan

Post #207731 3rd Sep 2013 5:44pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

markdotreed wrote:
What sort of mileage can I expect from a set of winter tyres?
is 3000 achievable?

Easily - you can probably get double that if not more before you're below 4mm

I did a lot of research before splashing out on a new set of tyres and wheels - my main motivation was going skiing and arriving in the early hours of the morning - I just couldn't face the shame of a GB plate FFRR abandoned half way up the mountain. However, now I've got them, I'm happy I have and run them mid Nov to Easter so over the long run, shouldn't actually cost me more (at least for the tyres, though I do have 2 sets of wheels)

Post #207780 3rd Sep 2013 9:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234