Home > LPG > Valve seat recession on the S/C
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
paneldamage

United Kingdom 
Valve seat recession on the S/C

Hi All

Just had my new-to-me 57 plate S/C converted to run on LPG. Now I'm no stranger to this, had lots of gas Rangeys and others since about 1994, and never had a problem. Lately, we have run a FF 4.4 with the m62 engine for three years and it's been great over about 50k.

So when I got a S/C, I had read all the stories about valve seat recession and the need for Flashlube or similar. I selected a converter - GasCars at Galgate near Lancaster. He came well recommended by my Indy and others who I trust. He confirmed that he had done a lot of Jag S/c engines in the FF's and in Jags. When I asked about the need for flashlube, he said he did not bother with it, and that it was unlikely to combat VSR at the quantities used. He offered to fit it at cost price if I wanted it.
He has converted the car now with a Romano system, it runs great, he used some supersize injectors and everything is oversize compared to other set ups I have seen. It's early days though, it was only completed on Wednesday.

Now, my question to all interested forum members: we have all heard about the problems with the S/C on gas - including in the early days, difficulties in setting them up, the need for a fuel return etc, and lots about softer valve seats and VSR. But how many of us have actually had personal experience of this? Have seen the actual damage caused by VSR on an LPG S/C? They have been around for seven years now, although I realise that it's unlikely that anyone would convert a new S/C within warranty. I only want to know about actual hard information: sorry guys, but we all know someone who knew someone who had trouble, and it could be that lpg has been blamed for other problems.
I will be getting flashlube fitted as a precaution anyway, but it would be interesting to hear from people with firsthand knowledge about the 'problem'. It's a fact that the jag engine has softer valve seats so this is my starting point....thanks in advance....

Post #214608 6th Oct 2013 10:09am
RR2008HSE

Canada 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

Very good question! It was the VSR worries that stopped me trying a conversion (among other things).

I think you made the right call getting the flashlube installed. It can't hurt! Any info from the Jag forums? They've been running these engines longer.

Post #214794 6th Oct 2013 11:42pm
Glynn

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Zambezi Silver

If you dont mind me asking you, how much did the conversion cost ?.
I am thinking about having my SC done.

Post #217884 21st Oct 2013 2:37pm
dingg1

2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

re costs

I'm looking into lpg for mine , local lad comes recommended and he reckons he's done lots of the s/c , says no problems encountered with vsr,also recommends the romano setup as above , priced at 1600 plus 120 for the flashlube system if I want it. I'm happy with the cost and because he's local it gives me confidence that its not going to be a ballache if things take a while to tweak to be satisfactory.

q for paneldamage how is your set up working out now after a couple of weeks with it? do you run on 100% lpg at the top end of power range? recommend the romano conversion or is the jury still out?

Post #219214 28th Oct 2013 12:25am
paneldamage

United Kingdom 

That's a good price for a conversion, mine cost £1900 plus flashlube. Mine is running great on gas, but not used it a great deal, just to work and running about, the installer wants it back after 1000 miles to check/ re calibrate the set up.

I will then do some fuel calcs etc.

I don't think it uses any petrol at full chat ... The installer said that the set up was good for 400 bhp without adding petrol.

I agree about using the local guy... If he comes recommended. I like to get to know the people I rely on to deal with my car, it's the best way when you have a RR!!!

Post #219238 28th Oct 2013 8:50am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1