Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > My Range Rover > Project Fatty off roader....PICTURES NOW BACK
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 31 123 ... 293031>
Print this entire topic · 
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue
Project Fatty off roader....PICTURES NOW BACK

Photobucket ruined all photos posted originally, I have now uploaded them to the forum so they should all stay there now...

-CLICK HERE FOR SOME PHOTOS FROM THIS AND OTHER THREADS-

A few from the end to wet your appetite.

Hi all,

Have just bought my first L322 having had lots of Land Rovers in the past, I have bought it with the intention of turning it into a competent greenlaner, this will not be a quick process as I have limited time and want to spend some time learning the vehicle and evaluating what it needs to help it in the direction I want to go...

It won't be a mad looking all singing off roader, and it won't get chopped up either, I just want a nice, comfortable car that can get me into the countryside when I want it to (I'm partially disabled after a serious back injury and can't walk far in comfort) and also be an everyday driver that still drives safely and well.

I always look after my cars, I hate having them dirty for long and I tend to over service them, always found this helps when asking them to perform off road.

I appreciate this is not everyone's cup of tea but hoped some of you may be interested, I do all the work myself and try to avoid garages to keep the costs down, the first stage will be to bring the vehicle back to standard condition as it has several faults.

I will update everything I do with prices and tips along the way

The candidate for this project is a 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4V8 Auto with a Romano sequential LPG system, it's in Epsom Green with a cream leather interior.....

It cost �4600 and I picked it up last Sunday.

The faults declared by the seller were

1. MIL light (engine dash light) was on, seller said it was a lambda fault but my hand held reader wouldn't read the codes, it cleared them and reset the light, which came back on after a few miles, but I was still none the wiser

2. Gearbox sometimes bangs into second, not very harsh but harder than it should, hopefully a software fault or needs an oil change...

3. Clonk from back and front on turning.... suspension bushes... although they are only shown as advisories on the recent MOT....

4. Air suspension is slow to respond, gets there in the end but takes a long while

5. Hunting at tickover on LPG, this maybe related to 1.

On further examination there are a couple more

6. The aircon has no gas at all in the system so must have a leak

7. Rear washer doesn't work, wipers fine though

8. front screen is starting to delaminate at the top so the heating is very patchy

Overall though it is in nice condition for a 12 year old vehicle, the inside is very nice, apart from

Interior gear lever surround...

Click image to enlarge

Got fed up with that already so wrapped it... looks better now, probably do the ashtray and the trim above that and
I'm not too keen on the wood colour so may do that as well

Click image to enlarge

As I said, when I picked it up the check engine light was on and it was running a bit rough, got home fine but used more fuel than it should, thought it maybe the LPG playing up and running rich and upsetting the lambda. Took it to a mate with a snapon reader and it came up with P0154 Sensor circuit no activity detected bank 2 sensor 1, which basically means it's not getting anything from the lambda rather than an unusual reading...

So changed the lambda for a new Bosch one �44 and the light is out and it's running beautifully.... dropped into another mates and borrowed his laptop, lead and software for the LPG, it wasn't bad but the fuel trims were high, it was struggling to cope on acceleration and marginal when cruising... so updated the software to the latest one and 20mins worth of remapping and the fuel trims are now darn good and it pulls like a train on LPG, should be more economical as well...

First lambda I've ever changed that had a plug smaller than the 22mm spanner so you could get a ring spanner on it and not slip off when trying to undo the little devil....

The LPG install has been done fairly neatly but they stuck the LPG ecu here!!!

Its the metal box with the blue sticker

Click image to enlarge

When next to it is a large watertight box with the cars ECU's in..... so why not put it in here???? It even had a blanked factory hole in the right place

Click image to enlarge

luckily the leads had enough play on them and it just fitted so it's all nice and protected and should stay dry...

tidied up a few more wires and it's now looking tidier under the bonnet

I have booked it into the main dealers for a diagnostic check next Tuesday so hopefully get some answers on the suspension and gearbox, and then fix them myself, could get it done at an Indie but I get on well with the dealer and they never seem to charge me full price....

It didn't come with any handbooks or service history, apart from a recent full service, two new tyres and an MOT so
Thanks to Stan for pointing me at topix.... will give me some good reading tonight...

More to follow if anyone's interested...

Thanks for reading

Pete

Last edited by Haylands on 4th Jun 2022 6:45pm. Edited 5 times in total

Post #246533 5th Mar 2014 7:57pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Some nice off road examples here Thumbs Up

Post #246535 5th Mar 2014 8:19pm
Haylands

Ooooh thanks for that, don't think I'll paint it orange though.....

Post #246544 5th Mar 2014 8:58pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Nice write up Thumbs Up Look forward to the following build Thumbs Up

Post #246548 5th Mar 2014 9:09pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

A good gearbox flush may sort out the banging into second, the filters arent expensive but the fluid can be.

The knocking on the suspension could be one of many things but a good session on the ramp should point out the cause, probably worn track rod ends (inner or outer) the inners are also swappable, or possibly the ball joints.

Looks good! And a bargain at that! There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #246551 5th Mar 2014 9:14pm
paul271

Scotland 2002 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Epsom Green

Really good read mate. Hope it all comes together.

Post #246565 5th Mar 2014 10:05pm
JAYBOY

Wales 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

Pete

I hope you enjoy the car and i will look forward to your updates.
Nice car for the cash

Jay Thumbs Up 2020 Porsche Panamera Turbo Hybrid (V FAST)
2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 V8
2018 JCW Mini Cooper
2018 Skoda VRS

Post #246570 5th Mar 2014 10:22pm
GraemeC

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver

Good write up, looking forward to progress updates Thumbs Up 2007 Zermatt Silver TDV8 Vogue SE - now sold but was a great car!

Post #246581 5th Mar 2014 11:25pm
Luxury4Paul

United States 2006 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

Looking forward to this build up. What tire/wheel options are you looking into? I just installed 255/55/R19 Cooper LTZ Zeons on my Rover and love them. Super comfortable ride and a very meaty tread for off-road use. Thumbs Up

Post #246659 6th Mar 2014 2:57pm
dingg1

2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

bargain buy you got there by the looks of things so far

Post #246671 6th Mar 2014 3:41pm
Haylands

Cam-Tech-Craig wrote:
Nice write up Thumbs Up Look forward to the following build Thumbs Up

Thanks,, will be fun I hope

northernmonkeyjones wrote:
A good gearbox flush may sort out the banging into second, the filters arent expensive but the fluid can be.

The knocking on the suspension could be one of many things but a good session on the ramp should point out the cause, probably worn track rod ends (inner or outer) the inners are also swappable, or possibly the ball joints.

Looks good! And a bargain at that!

Thanks for the tips, I will be changing all the fluids soon and as you say it may help, I think the clonk is either subframe or suspension arm mounts or ARB bushes, it's just been MOT'd so I doubt it's the trackrods but you never know...

paul271 wrote:
Really good read mate. Hope it all comes together.

Thanks glad you enjoyed it

JAYBOY wrote:
Pete

I hope you enjoy the car and i will look forward to your updates.
Nice car for the cash

Jay Thumbs Up

I certainly am enjoying it, and yes it seems very good value...

GraemeC wrote:
Good write up, looking forward to progress updates Thumbs Up

Thanks... a few more odds and sods below...

Luxury4Paul wrote:
Looking forward to this build up. What tire/wheel options are you looking into? I just installed 255/55/R19 Cooper LTZ Zeons on my Rover and love them. Super comfortable ride and a very meaty tread for off-road use. Thumbs Up

I think I'll get a set of standard 18" wheels as there seems to be a much larger choice of off road tyres, had Coopers before though, nice tyres...

dingg1 wrote:
bargain buy you got there by the looks of things so far Thumbs Up

Cheers........ time will tell....

Had a spare couple of hours so gave it a good clean, well maybe not that good more of a look around to see whats what...

Found the bonnet has been badly adjusted and was rubbing on the wing and side light, I've used some touch up paint here but you can see the groove...

Click image to enlarge

So a quick screw out of this rubber foot

Click image to enlarge

and then the bonnet wouldn't latch home, so out with a big spanner and an allen key, slacken off the locknut and wind this out till the bonnet shuts nicely...

Click image to enlarge

I'll be cleaning up and treating that rust soon as well...

The grille has been overtightened and badly broken, just used two big penny washers for now, I'll do a more permanent fix later

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

been having an intermittent "check side light" message, turned out to be the bulb, worked until it got hot then went out, cooled down and worked again.... anyway in removing the side light unit I did the first mod on the car.... having dropped the big plastic wing nut as my fingers are too big to get in the confined space available, and having then had to remove the front engine undertray to get it back I decided on drastic plans... drilled a hole in it and tied an old boot lace too it, tucks out the way but will come in handy next time a bulb goes...!!!!

The original owner must have known it would go off road as it has these very nice, very thick rubber mats all round.

Having a check around the engine bay and found a little weep from the top hose.

The other thing that is broken, that I forgot to mention earlier, is the electric adjustable steering wheel and unfortunately for me it was all the way in and I'm tall so need it all the way out, fuses were ok but nothing when moving the switch in any direction, I took the cowl off to have a look and it was easy to get a screwdriver on the end of the adjustment rod to wind the wheel out... it's now much better... anyone know the common fault with these, I would have said the motor as the switch does nothing in any direction but I take it it has two motors so that's unlikely...

Also fitted some new wiper blades...

We are off to see my Daughter for her Birthday this weekend and that's about a 500mile round trip so it will give it a good test run... My dear wife (she might read this!!) took it for a drive last night, she loves the heated wheel and things it's nice but she had a touch of vertigo after driving her TT, she also recons it's not as quick (she's got the 3.2V6 DSG TT) I told her if she carries on like that I'll park on top of her TT...!!!!?!?!?!?

More will follow

Pete

Last edited by Haylands on 4th Jun 2022 6:39pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #246688 6th Mar 2014 4:31pm
Bellini

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

Really enjoying this topic. Excellent write-up from a very conscientious owner. I tip my hat to you. Thumbs Up Si. <This is my name.

I eat rat poison.

A man ain't truly been insulted until he stands buck naked in front of a woman and she didn't even notice. Or care.

Post #246711 6th Mar 2014 6:00pm
paul271

Scotland 2002 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Epsom Green

Me too. It's been excellent reading thus far.
I need to find me one of those mats that wrap round the pedals. My mat always moves when I get in and out and it's seen better days!!!

Post #246787 6th Mar 2014 10:56pm
Haylands

Thanks guys...

Well it did the Kent run and didn't miss a beat for 500 miles including trying the Ford at Eynsford, was two feet deep but it did it with no ill effects...

Haven't had a chance to do much apart from sort out the slow drivers seat belt... took it apart and cleaned out all the dust

Also gave the seats a good clean and feed... the last owner had kids so under the rear seat looked like a kitchen recycling bin!!!!

There was sticky crumbs everywhere......

Also changed the gearbox oil, looks like someone had done it recently anyway as what came out was a good colour and smelt new... well new and fishy anyway...

The hard 1st to 2nd change has got slightly better but it looks like it's a solenoid problem....

The air suspension pump needs the rebuild kit as it's a bit slow to raise.

I do like a few things to get my teeth into.... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Last edited by Haylands on 3rd Jun 2022 10:35pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #247555 11th Mar 2014 2:53pm
Haylands

Been playing again, bit of modding and a bit of sorting issues....

First job, give it some more ground clearance so take these off

Good to see nothing changes, all bolts rusty as hell and had to resort to bolt removers and the mandatory club hammer....

To fix the front mudflaps they use cheap steal selftappers... mole grips to the rescue....

You also end up with two holes in this panel

Click image to enlarge

For now I've used trim clips to fill the holes, these panels are just plastic and come off real easy so may get them filled and painted...

So, it's now got 36cm, 14.1 inch clearance under the sills on off road height...

and personally I like the clean look with them off....

Sorted one of those real irritating things.... seat belt buckle on the floor every time you get it...

It was missing one of these

Click image to enlarge

£1.99 for four from ebay....

Sorted now....

Also the previous owner liked those smelly air vent fresheners and rammed them in with gay abandon ripping off all the vanes in the vent....

Comes out real easy

You can see the vanes inside, the vertical ones, on the drivers side all five had come disconnected from the bar that holds them all in the same orientation, subsequently when you put the blower on they just all got blown closed....

Then a fiddly job with two screwdrivers, lining them up and clicking the bar back into place...

All sorted

I do like free fixes....

If anyone wants the side steps then let me know, .... only got the drivers mudflap as I had to wreck the other to get it off... the drivers side step is cracked at the front underneath, can't really see it when fitted....

Free to a good home, being a responsible FF owner I will not let you have them unless you promise to clean them regularly and not abuse them......!!!!! Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Last edited by Haylands on 3rd Jun 2022 10:48pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #248351 14th Mar 2014 8:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 31 123 ... 293031>