Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > 2010/2012 facelift conversion - my step by step guide
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 12 123 ... 101112>
Print this entire topic · 
mattstevenson2005

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Java Black
2010/2012 facelift conversion - my step by step guide

THIS POST IS VERY IMAGE INTENSIVE!

When i decided to upgrade my 2003 L322 Range Rover from its 2006 facelift to the latest 2012 autobiography ultimate facelift i had to do lots of searching and reading of different posts to gather all the information required to do the upgrade. Now the facelift is complete i have decided to put together a definitive step by step guide to help anyone else looking to do this in the future.

My Range Rover before facelift:

Click image to enlarge

My Range Rover after facelift:

Click image to enlarge

PARTS LIST

FRONT GRILL

LR031241 Front Grill (Autobiography Ultimate style, there are lots of different grill part numbers depending on the style you want e.g. 3 bars, full mesh etc..)
LR018173 Front grill clips (x4 required)
DYP101620 HS1 screws (x3 required, used to secure front grill - can reuse original if required)

SIDE VENTS

LR031232 Side Vent RH (Autobiography Ultimate style)
LR031240 Side Vent LH (Autobiography Ultimate style)

Click image to enlarge

FRONT BUMPER

LR017329 Front bumper, primed without surround cameras (i purchased mine complete from ebay for £350)
LR011574 Upper bumper bracket fixing bolts to the crashbar and is used to anchor head lights in place.
LR020912 Crashbar, this is not needed if you have a 2006-2009 DPE500052. (i have heard rumours that you can also use an original 2002 crashbar)
LR011467 Front bumper mounting bracket RH (attaches to the wing front and secures bumper in place)
LR011577 Front bumper mounting bracket LH (attaches to the wing front and secures bumper in place)
LR011851 HB2 bolt (x4 required, used to secure bumper to crashbar - can reuse original if required)

LR018350 Tow eye cover
LR020486 Lower spoiler/deflector LH
LR020485 Lower spoiler/deflector RH
DYH500110 Used to attach the deflectors to the underside of the bumper (from memory i think its x4 required)
LR016853 Number plate plinth. (you can reuse the 2006+ plinth, they are the same)
LR024324 Titan splitter

FOG LIGHTS

LR024328 Titan Fog Bezel LH
LR024326 Titan Fog Bezel RH
LR001587 Fog lights (x2 required)
LR000704 Fog Bulb (x2 required)

PARKING DISTANCE CONTROL

LR011193 PDC bezels in black (x4 required)
LR010927 PDC sensors (x4 required)
LR012240 PDC and fog light wiring loom. Pre 2010 Range Rovers have a different connector for the PDC sensors and fog lights.
LR015238 Front centre PDC retainers (x2 required)
LR015239 End PDC retainers (x2 required)

WASHER SYSTEM

Because of the different style of bumper jets you have to replace the complete washer system and pumps. The original tank and pumps are not powerful enough to supply the new style washer jets.

LR010779 Bumper washer hose pipe
LR010791 Washer jet RH
LR010792 Washer jet LH
DYC000190 Washer jet securing clip (x2 required)
DMB500170 Water reservoir tank
DMC500020 Pump to supply bumper jets
DMC500040 Pump to supply windscreen and rear window (x2 required)
AFU4506 Washer pump grommet (x3 required)
DMI000010 Tank fluid level sensor (you can reuse the original sensor)
WYP000010 Screws (x2 required, you can reuse the original screws)

OPTIONAL - FRONT WINGS (you can use your original wings but require modifications)

ASB760071 Front wing primed LH
ASB760061 Front wing primed RD

HEAD LIGHTS

I have chosen to use the latest 2012 black style head lights (without adaptive cornering) i don't have the exact part numbers for these lights.

I used Powerfuluk's 2012 headlight connectors to make the wiring easier. http://www.powerfuluk.com/products/range-r...-pair.html

Indicator Ballast Resistor
http://www.powerfuluk.com/products/range-r...2-ohm.html

REAR LIGHTS

LR000081 2010/2012 rear light grommets
LR028515 Rear light LH (Black insert style)
LR028513 Rear light RH (Black insert style)

For the rear lights to operate correctly, i had to use an interface box i purchased from ebay

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Last edited by mattstevenson2005 on 17th Apr 2014 3:57pm. Edited 5 times in total

Post #251640 30th Mar 2014 10:22pm
mattstevenson2005

To complete my conversion i safety removed all existing bolts and screws and stored them in order so i could re-use them again. The only new bolts/screws i used were the 4 that hold the bumper to the bumper bracket.

To begin the conversion start by removing the under engine plastic tray and remove a couple of plastic nuts from the passenger side front wheel arch liner to allow it to bend to give access to the washer fluid tank. Then carefully remove the 3x screws holding the front grill to the body.

Click image to enlarge

The headlights are held in with a 3x screws that need to be removed and the headlight will then slide out. The upper plastic headlight bracket (attached using 2 bolts) also needs to be removed as this is not required for the latest 10/12 headlights. Keep the bolts as one is required to fasten the new headlight to the top rail. Repeat this for both sides.

Click image to enlarge

Now its time to remove the main front bumper. Reach behind the wheel arch liner you have loosened to gain access to the washer fluid tank and remove the headlight washer pipe from the pump. (have a bucket ready as washer fluid will come pouring out if it isn't empty)

Click image to enlarge

The bumper is held on to the bumper bracket and crash bar using 6x screws (4 at the top and 2 under the front spoiler) Once these screws have been removed carefully prise the bumper edges away from the wings and the front mud flaps, you will need someone to help you do this as there are lots of connections to undo once the bumper is free.

Disconnect the front fog lights, 4x parking sensors and carefully full the bumper towards you, the bumper should be now completely free of the car.

Click image to enlarge

Now the bumper is removed you need to start the process of completely replacing the washer task system. The parts lists is above, a new tank and pumps are required because of the redesigned style of the headlight washer jets. The older system is not able to provide the force required for the new jets.

Start by removing the windscreen and rear window pipes and the electrical connections to the pumps. I recommend that you label the pipes and electrical connections so you know where they need to go back.

Click image to enlarge

You also need to disconnect the fluid level sensor at the bottom of the tank. (you can reuse this sensor in the new tank if you like, it can be quite tricky to remove but it does come out with a little care)

Then you need to remove the filler pipe and breather hose, these come off with a sharp pull upwards.

Click image to enlarge

The tank is held on to the car using 2 bolts remove these and the tank will lift free of the car.

The new tank is quite a bit bigger than the original tank and comes without any parts attached.

Click image to enlarge

You need to build the new tank by fitting the grommets and pumps before fitting to the car using the same mounting bolts and bracket position.

Click image to enlarge

Before you fit the new headlight washer pump you need to shave a small part of the pastil housing to allow the original electrical connector to fit.

Before modification
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

After modification
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Once you have built the tank and fitted the tank to the car, connect the windscreen and rear window pipes and all the electrical connections. To enable the headlight washer pump to operate with the new headlights you need to bridge the Yellow/Black wire and Brown/Grey wire on the old LH side headlight washer cable. You will need to release the cable clips and some plastic insulation tape to get the fluid level sensor cable longer as the sensor is in a different place on the new style tank and the cable is not long enough.

Click image to enlarge

Now for the wings.

Start by removing the wing vent which is held in with 2 screws (1 top, 1 bottom) the bottom screw is hidden behind the plastic body panel below the vent. To remove the panel open the car door and with a sharp pull the panel should release. You can now carefully remove the vent.

The wing is held on to the body with a number of screws and bolts along the top of the wing and behind where the wing vent was, there is a bolt behind the lower plastic body panel which is a pain to get too. There is also 2 bolts on the inside of the wing where the headlights were.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Carefully remove the indicator and disconnect the electrical connector.

The wing will then lift away from the body without any further force.

Click image to enlarge

If you are re-using your existing wings then to accommodate the newer style of wing bumper mounts you need to un-bolt the original plastic mounts from the wing. Then because the new style plastic mounts are a different shape you need to use a grinder to carefully remove the inner skin of each wing.

Click image to enlarge

Then used a fast setting resin glue to initially secure the new bracket to the wing then used a flexible adhesive/sealant to build up a strong bond to the wing. (i had to remove the wings twice as in the end the resin and flex wasn't strong enough to cope with road bumps etc.. so i used some fibreglass to permanently fix the bracket to the wing. I would recommend you do this from the start to save having to remove the wings again)

Click image to enlarge

When gluing the bracket you MUST! ensure that the gap between the wing and the bracket is maintained as the bumper edge slots into this for a good body fit. (you will understand what i mean here when you see your wing and bracket together)

You can now reverse this process and refit the wings to the car. Make sure that the wheel arch liners sit on the inside of the lip of the wing.

You need to remove the original plastic bumper mount that sits on top of the crash bar and install the new 2010/12 style mount. This is held on with a couple of bolts and is easy to remove.

Click image to enlarge

You also need to trim the passenger side wheel arch to allow it to fit now you have fitter the bigger washer tank. I just used a small hack saw and carefully removed the plastic upturn part of the liner.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I did this with the bumper on but it would have been much easier to do it when the bumper was still off the car.

Now to the exciting part.......the wiring.

I started by modifying the fog lights and parking sensor wiring before attempting the headlights.

For the parking sensors and the front fog lights you need to purchase the 2010 wiring loom (part number above) as the connectors are different for the later PDC sensors and fog lights.

Click image to enlarge

Because the original wiring loom is different i found the easiest thing was to cut the new connectors off the new loom and solder them to the original loom. I did this for both the parking sensors and the fog lights.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The fog light wiring is a straight forward cut and solder to match the live and ground wires.

Click image to enlarge

The parking sensors are a little more complicated as the cable colours are different.

Original - New Connector

Yellow - Yellow
Green - Blue
Brown - Green

Now the easy wiring is now complete I moved on to the 2 headlight connectors that i purchased from powerfuluk.

Because my car had the 2006 headlights already i could have reused the headlight connectors, but to make things easier and to save me having to re-pin the existing connectors i labeled the original wiring and cut the old connectors off.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

If you are doing a straight 2003 - 2010/12 upgrade your wiring connectors will be different to mine as 2003 vehicles had 3 individual headlight connectors where as the later headlights only used 1 connector for everything.

My complete wiring diagram. Please note that on 2003-2006 range rovers the colour of the wiring is different for LH and RH connectors. See the diagram for more info.

Click image to enlarge

The connectors from powerfuluk were really easy to solder on to the original wiring and the extra length of wiring on the new connectors made things very easy to do.

Click image to enlarge

Because the new headlights use LED's rather than actual filament bulbs you have to add a resistor that i purchased from powerfuluk between the indicator live and ground to prevent the indicators double flashing.

Click image to enlarge

Once both sides are complete you are ready to start assembly and test your workmanship.

The new headlights don't require any upper mounting brackets like there predecessor did and use one of the original bolt holes to secure them to the top bar. There is also 2 screws to hold the light in, one that screws into the new plastic bumper mount and one on the new plastic wing mounts.

Connect the newly wired connector and test.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Unlike all previous versions of the L322 Range Rover the 2010/12 face requires that the headlights be fitted before the bumper. Headlights cannot be fitted or removed once the bumper has been installed.

Once you have fitted the headlights and tested they work correctly you are ready to fit the bumper. You will need someone to help you do this as you need to connect all the PDC sensors, fog lights and connect the washer jet pipe to the fluid tank pump while you fit the bumper.

Align the bumper to the body and mounts, connect all the electrical and pipe work connection then on the top of the bumper there are flat plastic tabs that have to slide into gaps on the bumper mount under the headlights. At the same time you need to carefully fit the bumper on to the wing mounts and ensure that the wheel arch liners go behind the lip of the bumper.

Once you have aligned and fitted the bumper and you are happy with the panel gaps on the wings the bumper is held in place by x4 screws that fasten it to the bumper mount.

Check that the parking sensors, fog lights and wash jets work now before going any further.

Now the last thing is to fit the main grill. The original grill was held in by just 3 screws, the new grill has 4 plastic tabs at the bottom and uses the 3 original screws. You need to fit grill inserts into the bumper mount to allow the new grill to clip in at the bottom then use the original screws to secure.

Fit new side vents to match your new 2010/2012 face

You have now completed the 2010/2012 L322 facelift.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Last edited by mattstevenson2005 on 23rd Aug 2016 6:18pm. Edited 11 times in total

Post #251641 30th Mar 2014 10:23pm
mattstevenson2005

reserved

Post #251642 30th Mar 2014 10:23pm
n1cktdv8

2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Very nice, top job Thumbs Up Is this where I put the car details and a bit about myself ?........

Post #251685 31st Mar 2014 10:39am
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE 5.0 SC V8 Havana

Thumbs Up All my spelling errorz are belong to me!

2023 FFRR L460
2020 Range Rover Velar

Post #251712 31st Mar 2014 12:47pm
Cryptic

2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

Very nice. Total cost?

Post #252484 3rd Apr 2014 6:34pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Stan, let's wiki this, for the part numbers alone even before his write up it's worthwhile.

Keep it coming chap! Thumbs Up Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #252614 4th Apr 2014 7:49am
Flashman

England 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

Looks great Matt. Had to put my conversion on hold for a bit. Here's my post with further info on the wiring and LR diagrams that should be a good additional reference point for those doing the conversion.

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic12685.html Tom

Current Drive
2011 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography - Santorini Black - Ivory Leather

Previous Drives
2004 Model Vogue Td6 (Touchscreen) - Java Black - Parchment Leather
1994 RR Classic 3.9 V8 Soft dash - Niagara Grey - Grey Leather
1972 Series III SWB Safari - Green (Hand Painted) - Black Plastic

Post #253299 8th Apr 2014 7:53am
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

Been waiting with interest on this one, anticipating there would be a well scripted (idiots guide/ idiot = me) "how to".

If not too much trouble, would you please be able to also list the tools required for the job you did?

Doubt I'd have the ability or time to DIY this but 12 months in and I'm getting v. interested in a facelift.

Thanks in anticipation.

Car looks excellent Thumbs Up

Post #253312 8th Apr 2014 10:16am
mattstevenson2005

Cheers mate! yes it will be a full guide. Hopefully going to start typing it up later today.

In terms of tools required it is literally:

Philips screw drivers
8mm/10mm sockets & spanners
Torque hex set
Solidering iron etc for wiring.

No special tools required, the upgrade is very easy to do. The L322 Range Rover is built very logically and parts fit perfectly.

Matt

Post #253317 8th Apr 2014 10:25am
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

Thanks Thumbs Up

Post #253321 8th Apr 2014 10:33am
OyabunG

Australia 2004 Range Rover HSE Td6 Zermatt Silver

The most anticipated guide in history!!! Bow down planning on starting my front end conversion this weekend - fingers crossed I can work out the wiring of the headlamps from a 2004 and cutting out part of wing to fit the bumper bracket. Looking forward to the write up.

Post #254665 16th Apr 2014 12:34am
mattstevenson2005

front conversion step by step guide now complete, i will do the rear conversion write up asap.

Matt

Post #254875 17th Apr 2014 4:06pm
Stryke

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE Supercharged Java Black

Nice detailed write up, but you really took the long way round things and made the job look far more complicated than it actually is!

Post #254880 17th Apr 2014 5:00pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

proper job Matt.. Thumbs Up ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #254881 17th Apr 2014 5:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top