Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Stone vs Range Rover !!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Joe90

England 
Stone vs Range Rover !!

Uneventful drive to work....

Jumped in the car to come home, gentle first 400 yards to junction from office, but noticed a quiet squeak from the car over the sound of the radio. Turned radio off. Pulled away from junction, squeak got louder...and louder then turned into a creak and a screech. WTF!! Imagine the sound of metal against metal screeching then multiply by 100 and add horror film effects and you are close. Didn't immediately appear to be related to rotation. WTF!! All sorts of things started rushing through my head: brakes, brake discs, front diff, suspension failure big time. Screeching and creaking got louder and louder. S*%t !! It is going to break any second!. Pulled over off the road at the next junction, and had a good look around the car and wheels, nothing appeared out of the ordinary. Decided to set off again, but it only got worse, embarrassing to be making such a noise with other traffic around at the lights. More awful thoughts, heart pumping, about something major going bang, having to be recovered...should I got straight to LR in town, or get it home? Pulled off again after half a mile of excruciating noise into a car park, and decided to have the wheels off, given this seemed the most likely problem area, passenger side the most obvious place to start.

Oh heck, I have to use the LR jack, Mercedes Sprint jack back at home after using it on another job! Never, ever used the LR before, and read all the horror stories on the forum about it collapsing. Dug it out of the wheel well (uh, you have to lift the tyre out to get at it because of the lifting straps!) Put out the wedges like a good boy. released tension on rear left wheel nuts and started jacking. Up he goes, wheel off the ground. Darn, handbrake on and in Park, should have released those first! finally able to rotate wheel, everything fine. So back on the ground, tighten up nuts, move to front.

Same procedure, LR jack doing a grand job. Front left off the ground, rotated wheel - screech! Yay! Wheel nuts off, wheel off and placed under front of car for safety. Inspection time.

This little beggar:

was causing the problem. Had somehow picked it up in the car park at work. Got itself lodged between the dust guard and the brake disc:

Easily dislodged with toolkit screwdriver, wheel back on, rotated and all quiet again Smile Nuts tightened, dropped back onto wheels, all kit back in the boot and on my way again. Uneventful journey after that (aside from idiot middle lane drivers on the motorway). One of those lost hours of life.......

Note: have to say the LR jack, the wedges and the wheel nut brace all did an excellent job IMHO, the only tricky bit (in a suit) is getting the wheel back on - due to weight! .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #254910 17th Apr 2014 9:52pm
A1GSS

England 

Sometimes a few yards in reverse runs the stone out again. Always worth a try... Graham

____
Gone: 10MY L320 RR Sport HSE, Ipanema Sand
Gone: 20MY Jaguar iPace HSE, Silicon Silver
Gone: 17MY RR Evoque SE Tech, Loire Blue
Gone: 08MY Discovery 3 XS, Stornoway Grey
Gone: 07MY FFRR TDV8 Vogue, Stornoway Grey

Post #254911 17th Apr 2014 10:03pm
GraemeC

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver

Ho ho I had exactly the same thing happen on a stony track 30 seconds after putting her into off road height

Similar thought process, "Oh s#$t what the hell is that?? sounds terrible, this is going to cost thousands" and 5 yards in reverse sorted it Thumbs Up 2007 Zermatt Silver TDV8 Vogue SE - now sold but was a great car!

Post #254920 18th Apr 2014 6:17am
Welshdragon

Wales 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Monte Carlo Blue

Ah the good old s Censored t sheild and stone screech....a horrid noise Evil or Very Mad . I always had that on the challenge 90 after a comp , didn't take long for me to take them sheilds off and never have that problem again.
I have only had that once on a road going Discovery and that stone was a Censored to get out! If it dont work.......burn it!

If the IId tool cant fix it.......burn the FF.

If the FF cant be fixed......buy a Land Cruiser!

If the LC cant be fixed..............................................BUY a horse !!

Post #254921 18th Apr 2014 6:24am
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Have had this a couple of times.

1. On the way to bmw dealer to trade in e39..... Didnt know what the noise was! Thought that the deal would be off. Little bit of spannering found the cause. Phew!

2. Swmbo came in and stated that her car was seriously damaged...... 5 mins later all sorted! There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜œ
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #254922 18th Apr 2014 6:31am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

i've experienced the 'screech' as well..mine happened on a salisbury plain trip after going through some muddy water and it does make a hell of a noise...
solution to get rid, was to reverse back a few times for the stone to dislodge.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO ฦŽ๊“•โˆ€๊“•O๊“ค PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #254934 18th Apr 2014 7:56am
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Had the same years ago when I had the 735i.

Was driving from Beverley to Stafford and had to stop before I got on the motorway........wheel off........ stone out.

No idea what it was till that point. What a racket ! 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #254961 18th Apr 2014 10:02am
Joe90

England 

Now I "know" the noise, will try the reversing trick Thumbs Up .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #254971 18th Apr 2014 11:00am
allycraven

Scotland 

E39 beemers were notorious for this, cut the dust shield off the day after I bought the car to avoid it! '08 Audi S6 Avant 5.2 V10 with Milltek non-resonated. Vrrrrrrmmmmmph
'59 Ford Kuga Diesel (boring but AWD and 40mpg...)
2007 (07) Subaru Forester XTen 2.5 Turbo. (Roundabouts are fun again!)
2007 (07) 4.4 V8 Vogue (gone)

Post #254999 18th Apr 2014 2:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1