Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > My Range Rover > Holiday in the New Forest
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Muttley

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

@ mpirie , what you say is so true and I probably need to take a step back and think about it but I definitely want a good tripod and head Thumbs Up

And for the wildlife I would really like a 400 or 500 lens

I realy apreciate all the advice and help , thank you all Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Am off out for the last day off my holiday which I have to say has been awesome Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Cheers

Dave Current : 4.2 S/C, now Sold Sad
Previous : V70 Volvo, S40 Volvo ( a very reliable old banger ), E39 M5, Carlton Diplomat and the list goes on Smile

Life Sucks but ya just have to do the best you can with what you have !

Post #271567 18th Jul 2014 10:45am
PaulTyrer

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Cairns Blue

Dave,

Have a look on eBay for a Tripod. I bought a Vanguard Tripod from a photograpy store in Paris a while back, it was OK, then about 3 months ago I was looking on eBay for a Manfrotto tripod (I have a Manfrotto Monopod) as I'd given the Vanguard tripod to my wife (she has a Canon EOS400D) and I'd just bought a 70-300 lens off a mate at work for her Canon.

Anyway, back to eBay! I found a Manfrotto Tripod with a trigger head from a Photographers that had gone into liquidation. The Tripod (apart from a bit of dust) is absolutely perfect, and I think it cost me all of 50 quid!!

Post #271569 18th Jul 2014 10:50am
mpirie

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

Hi Dave,

I didn't mean to come over all arty-farty, but having been a professional for a few years, it was a constant question from friends and relatives.

If you're interested in wildlife photography, you'll need a light and stable tripod (carbon fibre if you can stretch to it) and a strong head that will stop vibration from wind etc. The joystick version you pointed out would be good for action shots as it would allow you to re-frame quickly, but it may not be stable enough to use with long (and/or fast) lenses. Also look for a lens that has it's own tripod bracket.....most digital SLR's are light and the weight of long lenses can strain the lens mount on the body. If you use a lens with a tripod mount, you'll find it better balanced and more stable. I'd also suggest sticking to prime lenses instead of a zoom.

If you want to see how the pro's do it, try and catch one of those how we made it" documentaries the make after shows like Life on Earth or Blue Planet. You can catch a glimpse of the kit the pro's use and will soon realise why they use it.

Post #271577 18th Jul 2014 11:41am
Full Fat Ray

Wales 2006 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

SWMBO took up pohotography several years ago, with a secondhand canon 350d (she is now on a 50D). We went to look at tripods, in an independant camera shop in burton on trent (who weren't going to rip us off as they wanted repeat busuiness and our recommendation). They showed us a range of tripods, the cheaper ones were flimsy, we ended up buying a manfrotto, with the pistol grip head. Can't remember what i paid for it 7 - 8 years ago, it wasn't cheap but has been worth every penny. Thumbs Up

Alison has subscribed to a magazine 9Photoplus i think), which is written for cannon owners, and has picked up a lot of info and techniques from that - don't know what make your camera is, but if you want to learn without attending classes, i'm sure there will be a similar mag aimed at your make of camera.

Good luck, nad Enjoy Thumbs Up 2006 (56 Reg) 4.4 V8 Vogue In Bonatti Grey (Gorgeous!!)

Post #271587 18th Jul 2014 12:25pm
Paul_H

England 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Tonga Green

Dave

Have a look here

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/

They are a good bunch, lots of good deals in the for sale section, I picked up a 'redsnapper' tripod fo £70 very impressed with it

HTH

Paul 2005 Range Rover Vogue with Supercharged Accessories
GONE 2001 Discovery TD5 ES
GONE 1995 Discovery 300 tdi GS

Post #271594 18th Jul 2014 12:55pm
Muttley

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

Lo peeps

Just wanted to say a big thanks for all the advice and tips , it has got me to take a step back as could of ended up spending a fortune I havnt got and look at maybe picking up the tripod and lens of flee bay Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

And the courses will have to wait as have spent a small fortune recently and am in the doghouse with the Boss but am determined to get there at some point Exclamation

Thanks again guys , ya can't beat honest input from people Bow down Bow down Bow down

Cheers

Dave Current : 4.2 S/C, now Sold Sad
Previous : V70 Volvo, S40 Volvo ( a very reliable old banger ), E39 M5, Carlton Diplomat and the list goes on Smile

Life Sucks but ya just have to do the best you can with what you have !

Post #272361 23rd Jul 2014 2:18pm
KurtVerbose

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Dave, I think about upgrading my 8 year old canon and 5 year old lens, but then I think firstly I'm happy with what I've got - it does everything I want, and secondly, my photography would improve much more by me becoming a better photographer rather than buying a better camera. Laughing

It's also nice to have a camera that you can sling in the back of a rucksack without worrying too much that it'll get damaged.

I feel the same about my RR - I'm happy with what I've got so will continue to extract as much life as I can from it.

Post #272364 23rd Jul 2014 2:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12