Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > stabiliser advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
wedgel322

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black
stabiliser advice

Just bought a starter caravan off a friend of a friend. Its an immaculate 1989 ab marauder 450si so a nice littlei van for us to try caravaning out. What I need advice with is this.... it has a stabiliser bar that connects from caravan to car which looks to be sprung but I am getting a towbar fitted on friday and wanted to get a detachable towbar. Will it still work? Or am I going to have to get fixed one which in my opinion look ugly.

Thanks in advance. 2003 Range Rover HSE 3.0 TD6
Java Black, Cream Leather Heated seats all round, Sat Nav, Rear TV's.
2013 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8
Black, black and piano black. Rear entertainment system. 22 inch turbines

Post #272473 23rd Jul 2014 9:29pm
Mr Tee

Scotland 

They were all the rage back in the80's to stop " the sway" , we never had one fitted. Just make sure the van is properly balanced, get a set of bathroom scales under the jockey wheel to make sure you are not overloading the pointy end!

Post #272488 23rd Jul 2014 9:48pm
RiccartonRR

Scotland 

^+1 what MrTee said.

A stabiliser masks any imperfections in the loading of the 'van - it doesn't solve it!!
A correctly loaded 'van will be great without it but a poorly loaded one will still be poor but you'll only find out when it's too late.

If you want the detachable go for the all in one coupler / stabiliser but practice without it first so you know how it should feel!!

Funny how a 14' Ifor cattle trailer loaded to 3.5te (+++) doesn't have a stabiliser but a 1.8te 'van does! Believe me - cattle wrestling cause way more swaying than any cross-wind or bow wave!!!!

Post #272490 23rd Jul 2014 9:59pm
mick-ne

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

That's the thing about forums you get both views ,lol no disrespect to Mr Tee but I always use a stabiliser if I can, I had one come loose years ago and left it off for a return journey, it was horrendous. You can buy a bracket that clamps to a quick release tow bar but make sure its very tight when you fit it.

Post #272492 23rd Jul 2014 10:04pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

The above is true, bit on a abi marauder from the late 80 the MTPLM would be under 1000kg i reckon, so even a poorly loaded van would have very little impact on the feel of the car even without a stabiliser. I towed my avondale with my 5 series without a stabiliser and it was fine, but added one on a whim and there was an improvement, as you would expect, but it wasnt night and day better. As it was well loaded and light it was already Pretty stable.

My current van is the best part of 1.9 tonnes and has a hitch stabiliser and ATC and is like a rock, but i wouldnt ever consider towing a van of that size without a safety device, the van is really long so even though it is a twin axle it can get a bit of snake on (if driven like an eejit) or my quasar 615 did in any case.

I would recommend using one for peace of mind and an added bit of stability, the alko hitch stabilisers are great and can be easily retrofitted to most vans, but the leaf spring type will be totally adequate with a suitable clamp on bracket. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #272499 23rd Jul 2014 10:19pm
wedgel322

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Thank you for yout views. I do want to use the stabiliser as I am very excited about caravaning but nervous about something going wrong. U eill ring the towbar place in the morning. 2003 Range Rover HSE 3.0 TD6
Java Black, Cream Leather Heated seats all round, Sat Nav, Rear TV's.
2013 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8
Black, black and piano black. Rear entertainment system. 22 inch turbines

Post #272502 23rd Jul 2014 10:25pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Top tip i have is to join the caravan club, there are loads of sites round the country, all of a good standard, loads in good locations, and you can book online, without paying a deposit , and so long as you give good notice, cancel without a penalty.

And its not a clubby club, if you know what i mean, just gives access to decent sites. Some favorites are chatsworth, malvern, and sandringham. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #272503 23rd Jul 2014 10:29pm
iphs

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Buckingham Blue

I would go with a stabiliser every time. I prefer the type that are built into the tow hitch but the blade type you describe are a good alternative.

I do agree on the loading advice though, very important, do it right. Heavy items low down and over or slightly in front of the axles. Check nose weight is within the limits.

Like most safety devices when they are working you don't know they are there. You may be lucky and never need them but if the worst were to happen you would stand a better chance of getting it all under control with a stabiliser.

Post #272504 23rd Jul 2014 10:33pm
stevebrookman

Morning all,
I've been caravanning for many years and always use a stabiliser. The current caravan has the blade type stabiliser and my P38 ( still looking for a Supercharged!!!) has the detachable tow bar. The stabiliser attachment clamps around the swan neck of the towbar- mines a Bulldog make. Never had any issues with it.

did have a few problems with stability when I first bought the car 8 years ago but this was cured when I changed the tyres on the Range Rover.

regards

Steve

P.S. I always check the noseweight before setting off on a journey and aim for 100kg. Lots of people do not bother- but I am particularly careful with this as it really affects stability.

Post #272591 24th Jul 2014 11:52am
Andy3681

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Cairns Blue

^ Pretty much what they said after 1000's of caravan miles use a stabiliser and check your weight and loading.
Although shouldnt be much of an issue with a FF and a light van.
As said they do a clamp bracket for the swan neck to suite the stabiliser bar.
My first van was a Marauder 450
Join one of the clubs for access to a huge range of sites and then go enjoy. Mine was a blue one! Smile

Post #272601 24th Jul 2014 12:39pm
Full Fat Ray

Wales 2006 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

+1 for joining the Caravan Club, not only access to their network of sites (we prefer the certified locations, smaller, less facilities but much cheaper). The other big advantage of joining the club is access to their excellent on line technical knowledge base. Thumbs Up

we tow an ACE award Tristar, 1500Kg, which has the ALKO built in stabiliser. As has been said above, keep your weight in the van low, and invest in a Milenco nose-weight gauge, not expensive, but I ALWAYS check my nose-weight every trip, its surprising how much it can vary even when you think you have everything in the same place, and with the gauge, you can move things about in the van to achieve the ideal nose weight loading - 5 - 7% of the van weight is the recommendation.

I would recommend using a stabiliser, it won't compensate for a poorly loaded (or towed) van, but it WILL give you extra peace of mind, and will help to stop snaking if you have loaded the van correctly.

Best of luck, and Enjoy Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 2006 (56 Reg) 4.4 V8 Vogue In Bonatti Grey (Gorgeous!!)

Post #272637 24th Jul 2014 5:07pm
appj62

England 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

The only reason that a stabiliser should be fitted is for when lorries etc. pass you which can effectively "suck" the caravan towards the lorry. The stabiliser will quickly bring it under control. A stabiliser will mask a badly set up unit and there is not a lot that can be done to bring that under control. If you stick heaviest items (crates of wine and beer) low over the axle and get the nose weight correct (a baton of wood and an old set of bathroom scales should suffice) then it will be happy days.
I have a bulldog blade type stabiliser but have not yet towed with the RR. I don't think I can get a clamp to fit around the tow ball neck and may have to change to an AlKo hitch stabiliser unless any one knows of a suitable clamp that can be used! Previous cars:
S-Max 2007-2013 (only diesel I've had, good car but expensive when diesely bits go wrong, so what's the point?)
Galaxy 2001-2007
Mondeo Estate 1997-2001
Sierra Estate 1993-1997
Uno Turbo 1987 -1993
Fiesta 1984 - 1987
Fiat 127 1982 - 1984

Post #272723 25th Jul 2014 8:03am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1