Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > My Range Rover > Project Fatty off roader....PICTURES NOW BACK
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 31 <123 ... 567 ... 293031>
Print this entire topic · 
RR2008HSE

Canada 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Good luck. As well as cleaning and drying EVERYTHING, bake the drying crystals, definitely.

Also, after the swim, you might have been over the breather pipes. I'd check engine oil, transmission oil, diff oil (all diffs), any other fluids incase water could get in (brake fluid?). What about other bits like the high range/low range switching motor (don't know what it's called)-if what it may need TLC. Check fuse boxes are dry (and any other electrics). Also, I have heard of fan blades breaking if they hit water at speed. You would probably have noticed that one by now.

Having got a mobile wet, it seems unpowered electrics my survive and only fail them current is reapplied to wet things. Just get everything as dry as possible before reusing.

Post #265324 14th Jun 2014 12:12am
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Thanks chaps, Gaz I appreciate the snorkel isn't water tight... I've got several tubes of tiger seal!!!

RR2008HSE All oils will be checked, dryer granules already baked once, will vent the system a few times and dry them again.... Fan blades are fine but I do have some electric ones to fit...

And the good news is

IT LIVES

Put it all back together and it runs fine, no faults showing, everything works as it should apart from the radio which doesn't work at all, nothing when you press the switch, also no sound when the sat nav gives directions, not too worried as was going to update the system anyway.

The only other casualty is the ignition switch, it has been playing up since I got it, won't crank when you turn the key maybe twice a week, now it's about 50% of the time... anyone know if a strip and clean will work or is replacement necessary??

IID tool shows the usual faults that seem to be normal!! can bus on EAS etc but nothing serious...

But luckily everything else seems fine and the carpets have never been cleaner!!!!! Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #265575 15th Jun 2014 7:05pm
Emperor Mong

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Loire Blue

I had an intermittent starting issue. It turned out to be the starter motor.

Post #265635 15th Jun 2014 11:54pm
Haylands

I did consider that but I'm pretty sure it's the ignition, seems to be a weak point on these, I'll give it a good clean and see if that helps... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold

Post #265676 16th Jun 2014 12:19pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

Quote:
Thanks chaps, Gaz I appreciate the snorkel isn't water tight... I've got several tubes of tiger seal!!!

Which snorkel would you plan to use and where would you seal it too on an L322, even the G4 had no snorkel due to location of air intake...

Post #265678 16th Jun 2014 12:40pm
Haylands

I know is not straightforward and I haven't fully explored the issue, the l322 intake appears to be at the front of the inner wing, same place as the Disco, need to fabricate pipe work from there back to the snorkel which should fit without too much modding, the screen angle is the same and it has clearance for the clam shell bonnet, I've successfully used water pump intake hose before as this doesn't collapse, and you can heat it and bend it a bit... Then it's just a matter of sealing the original intake....

I know it won't be easy but I like a challenge...... Pete

Post #265695 16th Jun 2014 2:06pm
RR2008HSE

"IT LIVES" is the main thing. Congrats. Thumbs Up

Post #265812 17th Jun 2014 12:46am
vaz

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Java Black

Spot on topic, been reading with interest. Although will not be using ours for off roading, found loads of tips for repairs, etc.
Liked the bit where you stripped the inside after an unfortunate wading experience. Will be stripping ours out to give it a good clean, there is dust and grime everywhere. Just a small issue of an engine transplant first though.

Steve.

Post #268528 2nd Jul 2014 9:17am
Haylands

Thanks Guys,

Been busy at work so not had too much "play" time, also just found out I need two new hips, so that answers a few questions on why I have trouble getting under the darn thing.... I had my back broken in 1990 whilst on duty in Her Majesties Constabulary and it is wired and screwed back together, got nerve damage and lots of other associated problems with it but I'm grateful I'm not in a wheelchair which was looking very likely when it happened, there always seems to be something... the back pain and mobility has been getting worse for some time and I've seen two different neurosurgeons in the last couple of years and had MRI's, both have said there is nothing more they could do for my back but it now transpires that it's my hips, not my back, causing the loss of mobility and the pain... It's good news in a way, I was getting worried that if I'm like this at 50 what will I be like in 10 years!!!

I don't panda to it, like I said I'm more than grateful I can get out of bed in the morning, so I do tend to do too much, but as the man said, your not here for a long time, your here for a good time.... and how much better can it get than lying under an FF sorting out the next issue!!!?!?!??!!!

And the next issue was.... front air bag burst.... it blew not far from home and the front offside dropped, then went straight back up again, got home no bother and it was late so just left it on the drive... came out the next morning and it was on the bump stops all round, it must have been dropping on the front slowly, and trying to level itself so dropped the lot.... also, the battery was flat!!! showed 7volts!!!

Ordered two new front struts from Island 4x4 at 15.30 and they were at my door by 8am the next day, darn good service, also got new bolts for the bottom of the strut..

Left the battery on charge all day and it seemed fine, went back to 12.5volts...

Changed the struts with no issue, was a pretty quick and easy job and all was well again, well for a couple of days until flat battery again... down to 7volts again??!! The battery was an 019 Excide 95Ah and was only 2 1/2 years old so should have been OK, recharged it and tested for a current draw with the ignition off but it was very low and shouldn't have been enough to pull down the battery....

Borrowed a snap on battery tester and the result was amber... so decided to change it anyway, got a 020 110Amp 930CCA Varta and as has been said on this site, it only just fits... nice and snug...

Seems to have been fine since although the alternator is only putting out about 14.0 volts, I thought it should be 14.5 so I'll keep an eye on it...

Had no more trouble with the ignition since I stripped it and gave it a good clean, I also removed the solenoid plunger that stops you turning the key, and whilst I was there I removed the gearlever lock so you can now get it out of park with the ignition off.. will only start in P and N as before and you still have to press the brake to get it out of P and N, so no safety issue in removing it...

Finished making the buck for the snorkel, there is not much room between the inner and outer wing at the front so I have made an elbow that fits in the space and will give the maximum airflow possible, I'm confident it will work and will check it when my brother has taken a mold off the buck and made the elbow, he wants to do it in carbon fiber but as you'll never see it fiberglass will do....

Then the latest issue reared it's head yesterday, very lumpy tickover, surging from 500 - 1200 rpm then dying altogether, restart and sitting at 500rpm.... then surging, then dying.... read the codes and it had a "MAF" fault and a "throttle valve adaptation spring test failed" fault, cleared them and it was better for a few mins then started playing up again and this time there was no response to any throttle imput... was as if the accelerator had come unplugged.... only code showing was "throttle valve adaptation spring test failed" so I presume the MAF fault was a result of the throttle fault...

Did a bit of googling and it's a common fault with BMW's but has a multitude of causes... culminating in a very expensive new throttle body...

So started at the beginning and checked for intake leaks and any other obvious issues, none found... unplugged the throttle body and the plug was very tight and I had to lever it off... didn't seem to have any corrosion inside but the pins are so small and my eyesights not getting any better... I gave it all a blast with contact cleaner then the air line, plugged it back in and started it and..... fixed, runs like a sewing machine, no issues at all..... couldn't quite believe it so went round every other connection I could think off and cleaned all them as well, still running great, took it for a drive, still great, no fault codes coming up.... this is the plug if the same happens to you...

Click image to enlarge

Whilst I was looking around the engine bay I removed the rear heater air intake to check the PCV pipes and found this wedged in the scuttle.... does anyone recognise it, it is alloy, no thread inside and has a rubber "O" ring seal...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I did chicken out on a bit of off roading at the weekend, I don't usually do pay and play days, you tend to get carried away and break something... anyway a mate arranged a day and it was to raise money for Macmillan Cancer Support. Went along and paid my money then jumped in a mates truck to have a look around.... well it had just rained for 12 hours over Friday night so was a bit muddy..... So there was no way I was taking the FF in there....

Click image to enlarge

Yes I know I'm a chicken but imagine how long it would take to clean it..... Pete

Last edited by Haylands on 4th Jun 2022 9:57am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #269722 8th Jul 2014 6:54pm
RR2008HSE

Jeez! That poor Discovery needs some TLC. Shocked

Post #269755 8th Jul 2014 8:52pm
paul271

Scotland 2002 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Epsom Green

As always an enjoyable read mate. Hope the new hips get you back to 100% again.

Post #269960 9th Jul 2014 8:01pm
Haylands

Cheers Paul

Did a separate topic with this on but thought I'd put it here as well to keep it all together....

After drowning the Rangie on it's last outing a snorkel then became top of the list of mods, no one makes one that I can find and after fitting one I can understand why, there is not a lot of room.....

I had a look at a mates Disco 3/4 and the rake of the windscreen and the clamshell bonnet are virtually the same as the L322 and it looked like a snorkel for a Disco would fit with some mods, managed to find one from a guy on another forum who bought it to fit his P38 but sold the car before he got round to it, a small donation to his beer fund and I had the starting point, it had never been fitted but did have some parts missing...

First job was to remove the wing and take a look at the space available, not much is the answer. The Disco, being on a chassis doesn't need such strong inner wings but the L322 has a lot of strength here and the gap between inner and outer wing is much less. The good thing is the original intake from the wing into the airbox and on into the engine is pretty well sealed, there are rubber "O" rings on the joints to the airbox, the box itself is pretty water tight, as are the joints to get to the inlet manifold, certainly good enough for the type of wading it will be doing, if you were going to try some Camel Trophy type wading with your head out the window just above the water level then it may need more work, mind you so would everything else on the car......

Inner wing with air intake

You can see here the limited space, the plastic wheelarch cover shows how close the outer wing is to the inner wing

Next job was to make an elbow to take the inlet back to the snorkel, the hole in the inner wing is around 3" diameter, but a 3" hose wont fit inside the inner wing so I made up an elbow that used the entire space available, the outer wing reduces in size from bottom to top and from front to back, I made this to accept a 4" intake pipe that is squashed to an oval inside the wing and I was hoping would allow enough airflow.

First rough mockup

Then some cleaning up and filler work, a quick check on fitment, it has to fit within the inner wheel arch plastic trim and it just does

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Finish it off to a standard that is easy to take a mold from

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Then take a mold off it to produce the final elbow, I didn't want to use the buck as it had got rather thick to get the correct shape and was made from plastic, filler and fiberglass....

Click image to enlarge

Then made the final elbow, doesn't have to be as polished as the buck....

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

It has to be this weird shape to maximise the airflow

Fitted to the car

Click image to enlarge

Then fit the snorkel to the front wing, out with the drill and jigsaw....

Click image to enlarge

I had to enlarge the hole to aid fitting as it's so tight and forgot to take a pic of it, just maximised the size out to the fitting holes...

Also fitted the grill and cut this as well....

Click image to enlarge

Then fitted the new elbow with the air inlet pipe, this is two layered silicon hose with a metal spiral so holds it's shape and is bendable.. Used Tiger seal to attach and seal the elbow to the inner wing

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Then refitted the wing, pulled the pipe through the hole and fitted it to the snorkel, then had fun trying to get behind the wing to bolt the snorkel to the wing with the pipe in the way, was rather fiddly but managed it in the end.

Had to make a bracket to fit the top of the snorkel to the "A" pillar, it was missing, made it go underneath the "A" pillar trim so as to keep the door seal working as it should. Cut a small slot in the trim to fit it...

And that was the fitting finished.... then on to the aesthetics, not that they look that nice anyway, more function than form but this one had "Discovery 3" on it and it looked a bit funny with half the "so called" air intake vents poking out from underneath...

So to neaten it up I ground off the logo

Went over it with the D.A. sander

Also sanded off the awful plastic flash line it had all the way down the front...

Click image to enlarge

Then plastic primed it and painted it with truckbed liner, hopefully it will last, moved the side repeater to the cut out (this is for the wheel arch on a Disco) and painted the side vents body colour which I think looks better....

Painted the other side vents as well...

The finish looks better than standard but this is one of those cheap Chinese copies..

Click image to enlarge

It takes some abuse off road and gets smacked a lot but is very robust...

I had done some testing of the short term fuel trims before fitting it all so had something to compare with to see if the airflow was restricted, at 70mph they are between 1-2% higher so this would indicate it's getting a ram air effect at this speed and is in fact getting more air in, there is no noticeable drop in performance in acceleration. I fitted the innards of it all whilst visiting my Mother during the week as my brother was around to help with an extra pair of hands and it is about 220miles from where I live... It used slightly less fuel coming home than it did going so I think the airflow is fine.... If you cover the top of the snorkel it sucks in the pipework and stalls the engine so it appears to work well.... Off to the Lake District in September and there are some decent river crossings there so that will be the test....

Rocksliders next.... Pete

Last edited by Haylands on 4th Jun 2022 10:24am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #273313 28th Jul 2014 8:31pm
Haylands

The starter motor has been screaming like a scalded cat for the last few days, working OK and spinning up well but sounded like a dry bearing, took it off to have a look and found this....

Absolutely packed with dirty brown paste.... this is the brushes and commutator...

Click image to enlarge

And about half a cup of water looking like this (there was a lot more than this bit)

Click image to enlarge

The solenoid was full of it as well

Click image to enlarge

I was totally stunned that it still worked at all, it got in this state from water ingress from sitting in a river for a while, some 7-8 weeks ago.

It has been well sealed up on the outside, there is silicon around lots of it and rubber "O" rings on the main body, it also has a breather attached which runs up to behind the heads... so they decided to make it waterproof...... apart from the inside where it is open to the bellhousing...!!!!! water has got in here and is then unable to get out....

It's now gone in the bin and I'm waiting for a replacement, should be here tomorrow...

It sits below the standard advised wading depth so, if like me, you go plating in water then beware as yours may suffer the same..

I am going to drill a small hole in the underside of the replacement to let the water out..... see how long this one lasts.......... Pete

Last edited by Haylands on 4th Jun 2022 10:49am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #273818 31st Jul 2014 8:29pm
GraemeC

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver

Pete, keep up the good work fella, I love your updates and wish I had the time/mechanical ability to fettle with my RR to the same extent (taking the drivers door card off for the 3rd time this weekend to hopefully finally sort drivers door central locking which hasn't worked since I replaced the exterior door handle cable....) Thumbs Up

And I'm also amazed that starter motor worked at all! 2007 Zermatt Silver TDV8 Vogue SE - now sold but was a great car!

Post #273828 31st Jul 2014 9:40pm
RR2008HSE

Great read. Thumbs Up

Out of curiosity, what's an alternator go for these days?

Last edited by RR2008HSE on 1st Aug 2014 8:06pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #273856 31st Jul 2014 11:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 31 <123 ... 567 ... 293031>