Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > New Starter - weird noise (M62 V8)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
gg2201

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black
New Starter - weird noise (M62 V8)

After the car wouldn't start the other day, it was diagnosed a new starter motor was needed. Replaced original Denso with a Woods starter. Car now starts super fast in comparison to original however there is an additional 'noise.' It sounds like the starter is not disengaging quick enough creating this extra 'zing' noise.

Just after someone else's opinion and experiences - could it be a faulty starter, does the car need reprogramming perhaps? It also does it whether the engine is hot or cold.

Not using it at the moment for fear of damaging something!

Advice very much welcome, video below;

http://youtu.be/CffoRZVqRcA 2011 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography

Post #278134 30th Aug 2014 9:53am
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Changed mine not long ago, doesn't need reprogramming...

Does sound like it's not releasing, is the starter fully home, had a right wiggle on to get mine to seat fully, it wanted to sit on the lip and not go fully home, sort of the last 5mm or so??

Or has the shield got bent and wedged in the hole where you can't easily see it...

Can't tell from the video, does it stop doing it after a while?? If it does would be ok to drive but I'd get it sorted soon... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #278153 30th Aug 2014 10:56am
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

sometimes on an old tired starter motor, - you get a strange noise as the disengaging drivecog slows down, and sort of vibrates on it spindle, like the cog is vibrating on its shaft. as its not got any load pushing against it. this is what i think is happening on your motor, as its slows. though its not as bad sounding. I see that its NEW! it does sound tinny against my similar model original. Unless you had problems tightening it in, on the engine, sometimes engines have small shims to set it correctly againt the flywheel . It sounds fine starting, just not so good slowing down. it might settle down and bed in.

you may have small amount of this problem,

where the starter is not 'falling back' when de-energised. -if it persists, i guess you have some warranty on the starter motor.

Post #278155 30th Aug 2014 11:07am
gg2201

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

After paying a mechanic friend to fit and thus I posted on here about the noise that just didnt seem right; My dutiful OH took the starter off again today to ensure it was seated correctly, cleaned up the threads on the bolts and put it all back together again. (Sounds so simple - getting it off was easier than getting it back on I am told)! Before putting the heat shield and wheel back on and with the car still in the air we started it....sounded good, and as you would expect.

We (he) then put the heat shield on, wheel on and lowered the car. Start engine - cue strange noise again. Have took the heat shield off for now as its seen better days and it appears to have been the culprit combined with perhaps not being seated correctly, doing up the bolts gradually in turn to ensure even tension.

I'm happy my car is roadworthy again. I suppose I owe my partner a drink! And thank you for your input . Now off to order a new heat shield... 2011 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography

Post #278318 31st Aug 2014 4:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1