Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Post #328521 18th May 2015 9:32pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

What does that mean Craig?? Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #328534 18th May 2015 10:19pm
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

£5k is scraping the L322 barrel, you're in warning lights, eBay "Supercharged" grilles and second-hand-LPG-kit territory.

Lot of car for the cash if (if) you can find one which isn't a dog though.

Post #328536 18th May 2015 10:48pm
mike whiskey

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Alveston Red

RRUK wrote:
I still like the idea of the D2 V8, but what advantages are there over the P38? Similar amount of electrics, same engine and transmission, plus they're more money too.

Similar but better. I certainly got the impression that many of the issues with the P38 had been addressed by the time the D2 rolled around.

MW

Post #328570 19th May 2015 9:15am
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

I like P38, looked and test drove one in NZ many years ago (cheap as chips, still didn't buy it as kept running a XR6 rental car) and I looked at one here as a temp car for the job (hopefully coming up).

From what I read about them, they are like a more unreliable FFRR statistically but that does not mean that there aren't good ones out there. The suspension seems to be one of the major issues on them. I would say just keep looking till you find a really good one.

But why not go for a gen 1 L322 ??? I'm considering shipping my 4.2 back from Nigeria to Holland and putting it in storage till I get around to converting it into an overlander for the big trip I hope to do in a few years time (Rotterdam to Cape Town). The L322 are also plenty and they're a bit better than the P38 from what I gather plus more tech support on here !!

Don't get me wrong, I really like the P38 (especially the one I test drove in NZ, gorgeous blue colour with ivory interior) just that a cheap 322 may make more sense ?? MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #328591 19th May 2015 12:05pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Thanks Eugene,

I kinda like the idea of having a Discovery as I've never had one and I think I'd be less likely to have a fit when it gets dirty, scratched etc which can happen on some shoots. Last winter we had to drive all the cars through an opening in a hedge that was only two thirds the width of the cars. That was painful!

They also have a practical utility feel with enough luxury to be comfy. I'm in no rush so I'm going to keep my eyes on the market.

I looked at Landyzone. Jeez. They really hate the P38 there. On their Range Rover thread it's almost all issues and moans and gripes! Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #328603 19th May 2015 1:23pm
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Not many people post on forums to let everyone know their air suspension is working brilliantly, cylinder liners haven't slipped, blend motors are still functioning perfectly etc.

Post #328606 19th May 2015 1:33pm
CEEGEE

United Kingdom 

rangie_mike wrote:
Hi All

Have just put a deposit on a 2011 RR 5.0S subject to seeing and driving it !

This will be my 3rd RR having had a 3.9 Classic and my current trusty 4.6 P38 which I now need to sell.

Mike

Hey, here is one coming up for sale, that I noticed in the "welcome" thread Thumbs Up

Post #328618 19th May 2015 3:37pm
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue

We've had 5 P38's over the years. Still have 2 of them now. We use one of them as a daily hack along side the Freelander leaving the AB in the garage.

It's a great hacking car really. It's at an age where you don't need to worry about people keying it, it doesn't draw attention to it when it's parked, parts are all available cheaply enough, and the 4.6's are reasonably pokey.

Air suspension is an issue on these although it's not as bad as everyone thinks. You can buy rebuild kits for the valve block (just a big bag of o-rings) and you can do that in about an hour. Airbags perish but are about £65 a corner and the compressor can be rebuilt easily too. I've driven one locally that was on springs and the ride was bloody awful!

My brother in law had a 2001 Discovery TD5 ES and when I took him out in one of the P38's (1997 4.6 HSE) he commented that the older P38 with double the mileage of his Discovery made the Discovery feel like a Defender with a plush interior.

Other then the one P38 which caught fire, we've not really had any issues with any of the others to be honest. They do what we want them to, and they do it well.

They're also a capable car in the mud too. I had one of ours towing a sheep trailer through a very wet, fairly muddy in places, field the other day and it didn't bat an eye lid. One thing the P38's are incredibly sensitive to is the tyre pressures, if they're slightly out they can make the car feel like it's wandering all over the place.

Newer P38's tend to have more engine issues from what I've read. As the tooling to make the engines got older, the tolerances became less as things wore. Instead of the water channel being in the middle of the wall between cylinders it would be much closer to one then the other which was part of the problem causing them to go porous. All of ours (apart from one which we no longer have) have been the earlier GEMS cars. I try and avoid the 95-96 models, the 97-98 models were pretty well sorted and have been good to us.

I like the P38, and can see us always having at least one of them here.

David. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 5.0 SC Autobiography in Indus Silver with Jet/Ivory Interior
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #329066 22nd May 2015 4:52pm
Jim_m_kidd

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

About 4 years ago I brought a '96 4.6 at auction. It was my first LR product. I paid something like £1800. I used it for a year and ~ 20k miles. It was comfortable, fairly modern compared to defender/discovery options. Ride is good on air. But the best bit is you can drive it with scant regard. It was perfect for my narrow lane routes to work, hedge? Get in!

Stereo is good, leather seats comfy (although most heated seats have failed unless replaced). I also think body work chassis are reasonably free of rot, they appear structurally good.

Engines seem to have a bad rep for liners slipping etc but mine ran sweet.

I spent good money on service items - lots of little things to sort - range rovers.net is good forum.

The P38 experience ended after a year (I sold it for £2500!) i also sold my alpina B10 and brought a D3 V8 and then my Rangie.

Post #329111 23rd May 2015 8:09am
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey
Re: P38 buying advice

RRUK wrote:
I'm still toying with the idea of getting a shoot vehicle to prevent the SC from being used for the really mucky stuff over the winter, I'd originally thought a D2 would be good with a V8 auto, but the P38 market is awash with cars.

I know it has a bad reputation but they're still out there and you can get A LOT for your money. £2k buys you a 4.0 or a 4.6 HSE with every toy. The difference in comfort compared to my Defender I had is chalk and cheese. It will get me to shoots on cold days in comfort, keep me warm, transport me, other guns, dogs etc and be smooth as silk.

So, what do we all know about the P38?

After the usuals of checking service history, bodywork, interior, checking all electrics work, suspension goes up and down, there's no milkyness under the oil filler, it doesn't smoke heavily and drives smooth, what else is there to check on these that's out of the ordinary?

Are there any parts that are prone to bad rust? Looking on AT there are many to look at and they look in pretty good nick. I'm after a T plate and over, so a 2000 onwards. All I'd do is put privacy glass in if it isn't already (gun and dog security) and maybe some AT tyres.

Thoughts please?

ok, with the petrol engine, all GEMS (Lucas) and later THOR (Bosch) injection engines used the same block, and they all have the timebomb liner issue. Unless you scour around and find one that had a replacement engine NOT from Land Rover. There are a couple of companies like Rpi v8 and turner engineering, that have either used a better casted block, (coscast) or have used sucessfully what are known as top hat liners. Basically they are stepped liners bored in and smoothed so they cannot slip, and seal better . If you keep looking you will find somebody with it in their description. Secondly, if you get an LPG one, and it is gems, make sure it's had the RPI tornado chips fitted, otherwise it won't run very well. Otherwise avoid the petrol model. Even without oil/water mixing, they still lose water, and will risk overheating, and failure.
Yes the suspension bags are always problematic, and they go down etc. can be sorted with plenty of new and secondhand parts around. As a car, They don't really rust, and are quite hardy old girls, but the main problems I had were the battery flat syndrome, ( due to remote transponder) and tripping a key code lockout. Often at a petrol pump. They all have the most stupid(these days)! Alarm control, where, if you unlock it, and walk awa,y after a few minutes it will disarm and require a re click of the key, otherwise, it will lock out, sometimes when at a petrol pump and you have to do this silly routine of twisting the key in the lock to enter a four digit pin code. (If you have it to hand!) and if you fail it three times, you have to wait half an hour. DOH!
I loved my ones, but it was like nursing your mother, you have to do it to keep her going. But I would these days, only ever buy an autobiography one, that had a replaced top hat linered engine. Better still a 50th anniversary or rare model, to keep. There's little chance of finding a really good one, amongst all the chaff, as it would look too expensive... For the right reasons. But that is not where you should start looking. Also, I've had a disco 2 diesel. Horrid driving car. Poor lock to lock, feel too narrow inside. Too noisy and slow. But needed no nursing, ever! Turn key, drive, stop lock and forget. I used to forget what side the bonnet handle was on! Where as the p38, you opened the bonnet straight after the drivers door!

Oh happy days..

.and that td5 engine, when you pulled away from cold, you thought you were towing your toolbox down the road, the noise, AND the gutless ness.

Good luck on your quest, friend.
John.

Post #329207 23rd May 2015 9:56pm
ebajema

After reading Johns story a TD6 or 4.4 Petrol is starting to sound appealing to me Wink Smile Smile MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!

Post #329235 24th May 2015 6:02am
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

Trommel wrote:
£5k is scraping the L322 barrel, you're in warning lights, eBay "Supercharged" grilles and second-hand-LPG-kit territory.

Lot of car for the cash if (if) you can find one which isn't a dog though.

I think you have to remember, that an early. L322 car is well over 10 yrs old, and thus it has to be reasonably priced to sell, so, the £5k price tag is quite expensive -for an old car. Even a well maintained one, will be priced similarly or thereabouts to a tatty one, maybe a little more, but in that bracket. Yes there will be previous owners that have festooned it with magpie chrome parts, and awful wheels, but you can find a decent l322 for that amount. Just look for original look, and service history. It's that simple. You will find plenty of HSE models, and if you're ucky a vogue might be there too.

Just omit words from Search bar like 'real head turner' and 'first to see will buy' and of course '22 inch'

Post #329246 24th May 2015 8:20am
ebajema

And with the 19 inch wheels you can get good off road tyres as well Smile

Still there have to be a few good P38s out there. I wouldn't mind one as my temporary car till the 5.0 is here but they are too expensive and not local. MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!

Post #329273 24th May 2015 12:13pm
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

Adam,

My old 2002 td6 which an army mate bought off me a couple years back is coming up for sale. It was faultless when mine, still has no major faults (I saw it and him last week and he is still delighted with it) but is looking a bit battered now as my pal is a horsey man and has used and abused it but nothing a good detail wouldn't sort. Perfect shoot vehicle I would have thought!!

It is on 115,000ish miles, good gearbox still and is near Salisbury.

Btw he is looking for a pickup to carry his bales of hay, feed etc so if anyone knows of one going for sale?..... Doesn't need to be in that good nick as he's a mucky Censored !,........

Post #329315 24th May 2015 8:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>