Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > V8 viscous fan removal tool
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
DaveK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey
V8 viscous fan removal tool

Is there any one in the St Helens/Wigan/Warrington area who could lend me a viscous fan tool to go with my 32 spanner.? Considering how many times I've had this nut off, it's locked solid now. Been looking on the net to buy one but non of the ones I've found will do the L322. No point in buying the Land Rover tool because quite frankly, I can see me replacing this rad and ending the FFR dream.
This is the 3rd rad in two and a half years and I've not been buying ebay specials. I've been told it's down to electrolysis ( search for the thread on here !) or that I've used the wrong anti freeze although I've kept to the blue from day one. It had the original rad in when I bought it and that only started leaking at 11 years old so electrolysis my rear end.
The O rings in the rad hoses are also quite worn but surprise surprise, you have to buy the whole rad hose and can't just replace these large O rings.

Post #335445 1st Jul 2015 8:07pm
Joe90

England 

Halfords do a fan spanner at reasonable rates .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #335452 1st Jul 2015 8:25pm
DaveK

Hadn't thought of them, cheers.

Post #335453 1st Jul 2015 8:28pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

if you want to buy 'o' rings, then just measure and go to ebay, and look for Viton o rings, with a typical size near the one you have, and they often have 'option choice' to select the diameter, and thickness. You should really measure the plastic part, less a 1mm each side, to seat. you can pick these up for less than a pound! slip on some vasalene, and presto.

3rd rad.....sounds like a problem not yet solved.

I wonder if the main dealers make up this BS and circulate it around, so that you get the same answer, and then go with said advice. 'change part 'X' mate'.

you can buy a water pressure tester. could this engine be running too hot? 'haylands' pete, did a posting on cooling his v8 (bmw) engine with a modified thermostat. -around £50

lastly, to remove the fan, use a 32mm spanner, they are quite long... with all belts and sundries, as per usual..and hit it (hammer) to the right, 'catching 'it in a gloved hand to stop it flying off. spray it first though. it has a backwards thread.

I know you know this... but others don't.

Post #335455 1st Jul 2015 8:53pm
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

If you’re desperate enough to drive up to Leyland you’re welcome to borrow mine. In fact you can have it for £25, if you'd prefer.

Click image to enlarge

Phil

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #335462 1st Jul 2015 10:05pm
Zirconblue

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Cairns Blue

Those fan spanners are rubbish, I mean they're ok for some cars that have very tight access, but a normal 32mm spanner is far better on the range rover.

This firm does the proper Land Rover tools, the holding tool was £70 last time i looked, which is about the same price as the Britpart one that doesn't do the L322.

Post #335463 1st Jul 2015 10:13pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

What firm...?? Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #335469 1st Jul 2015 10:37pm
RRPhil

United Kingdom 
Re: V8 viscous fan removal tool

DaveK wrote:
Is there any one in the St Helens/Wigan/Warrington area who could lend me a viscous fan tool to go with my 32 spanner.?

I assume that the OP already has the 32mm spanner, he just needs the holding tool. The holding tool in my picture is the official Land Rover tool LRT-12-215

Phil

Post #335477 1st Jul 2015 10:55pm
Zirconblue

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Cairns Blue

http://www.dingocroft.co.uk/acatalog/Tools.html

Will try again, link didn't post last time.

Post #335478 1st Jul 2015 10:59pm
johnboyairey

if you need the tool desperately, you can just make one out of cardboard, poke through the holes with a sharp screw, and wiggle about... and then mark it out on some steel, and grind it roughly to fit, drill the holes generously etc.
I bet someone has put up a diagram of how to measure one out from scratch! oh yes... http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=464226

making something for 50p is better than buying it and using it once, for £25

Post #335484 1st Jul 2015 11:09pm
kezbo1981

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

I agree, making one would be quite easy, but you'd need a large enough and thick enough piece of sheet steel lying around, which not everyone does.

I have the powerfuluk tool an it works ok...

What is the problem you are having with the rads?

Post #335500 2nd Jul 2015 8:11am
johnboyairey

nowadays, you never need to have the shed full of steel off cuts, when you can click on your phone, from your garden steam chair. -and let ebay deliver, here
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MILD-STEEL-FLAT-...SIMPLEITEM -£6.30 -on your doorstep. Thumbs Up

Post #335504 2nd Jul 2015 8:21am
DaveK

The original rad did it's job for near enough 11 years, can't complain. The replacement started leaking from down the side where the fins join the main body in just six months. Coincidently, some one else I know had the exact same problem with the same rad after 4 months ,bought from the same place. His went back first and he was told it was caused by electrolysis and that they wouldn't cover under the warranty. When I went back, got the same bull pooh and kicked up a fuss, pointing out that if that was the case, how come the original had lasted so long and why wasn't the heater matrix leaking. Won't bore you with the rest of the conversation but did leave with a replacement rad. Thats lasted nearly 18 months and same problem.

Post #335508 2nd Jul 2015 9:09am
kezbo1981

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

What make are the rads your using? I had a problem a few years back on a 5 series BMW where 3 replacement rads leaked, in the end I got my money back and bought a Behr rad which was more expensive but leak free. From now on I only by OE or well know quality brand make rads. I recently put a genuine rad in my RR and it has been fine to date touch wood.

Post #335546 2nd Jul 2015 12:34pm
DaveK

Thank you all for your offers of help. Nut finally loosened today after a night of penetrating oil.
Interestingly, the place where I do my repairs had a rad out of some one else's Supercharged FFR from a week ago. This was an original part and was probably about 9 years old. When you compare the weight of this with the weight of the one I've just taken out which was a non landrover part, the original is certainly heavier.
The replacement I'v just bought and the one the bloke got for his super charged where both from the Land Rover Supermarket in Liverpool. It's a Britpart. Not the best make I know but it will be going straight back if there is the slightest problem.
The original LR one from an LR dealer is about £600. Can't justify putting that on a 14 yr old vehicle that will be hitting 130,000 in the next 5 or 6 months.

Post #335569 2nd Jul 2015 4:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>