Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic > Heathrow Airport expansion
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
J90

France 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black
Heathrow Airport expansion

Well now that we've discussed fracking what about the new runway at Heathrow?
I live in the NW but believe the capitol's airport at Heathrow is a national asset that is quickly falling behind its European competitors in the race to be 'the' European hub.
The current proposal suggests a new runway at Heathrow rather than Gatwick but wherever it's built we need airport expansion for the Capitol and overall benefit of the country.
So what do we think? New runway? Where?

Post #335425 1st Jul 2015 3:41pm
Bellini

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

I'm fully in agreement with the proposal.

Pretty much every report ever generated says the same.

But I think it'll take a brave and exceptionally determined government to make it a reality. If Cameron doesn't act on it now, it'll never happen. Si. <This is my name.

I eat rat poison.

A man ain't truly been insulted until he stands buck naked in front of a woman and she didn't even notice. Or care.

Post #335428 1st Jul 2015 4:06pm
stoutgoose

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Zermatt Silver
Northolt.

RAF Northolt is ideally placed and under-utilised. If the runway is realigned East-west to mirror Heathrow, this will permit parallel operations.

A high speed link/tunnel would link the two; a comparatively cheap and fast process.

Post #335429 1st Jul 2015 4:13pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

We need to have a short lived prime minister, (like when D.C. bows out soon, before his tenure is up, as he doesn't want 'a third term' ) to take his name into the history books, (as the blame goes to him,) to announce the flattening of 800 houses etc. then around 10-15 years later, a new Premier, to re-champion the cause and snip the ribbon!
it's not the money, it's the PR.
boris' island will be bandied about for a little longer, till he becomes a full-blown cabinet minister. Gatwick could not be considered as that had a no new runway clause due to run out in a few years..

but there's no getting away from the fact, that this decision should have been made 10 years ago already!
its like we are are just painting over the problem, with 'another report'! (whitewash)
they already have the bulk of properties pre-owned, the terminals' there to cope, crossrail, wider m25, bigger planes.

and these consultants, are probably on the payroll.

it's all bo%%ocks! Yawn
somewhere there is another argument about air quality.

FFS! Shocked

Post #335431 1st Jul 2015 4:44pm
SoggyBottoms

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue Supercharged Zambezi Silver

Northolt runway is only long enough for local aircraft and there is no room for expansion unless they bulldoze West Ruislip and remodel Western Avenue from Polish for a ways
you need 10k feet of runway for a medium to long range aircraft
the Heathrow expansion makes more sense

Post #335433 1st Jul 2015 4:50pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

looking at this logically, if you expand heathrow that means more passengers and more road congestion...why not use an old raf airfield like lyneham or similar and spread the load so to speak.....this will energise the local community and save the people loads on fuel and time trying to get to heathrow.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #335434 1st Jul 2015 4:57pm
ajac8

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Baltic Blue

Just another Londoncentric development on the back of 'supporting the whole country'.

Westminster needs to get its head from up its own a*se and realise that if agendas like the Northern Powerhouse or a stronger Midlands are to be delivered they need the same airport infrastructure (and therefore the same inward investment / opportunities in the emerging markets).

Think HS2 can provide the same as expanding an international airport? I don't.

Expand Birmingham airport. Flatten Catherine De Barnes to do it (no one will notice) and lets move away from the obsession that is the South East.

....and breathe. 405 AB exec seats Baltic and Cirrus
93 RR Classic efi

Remember it's easier to get forgiveness than permission!

Gone in order:
4.4 TDV8 SE - gone to a good home
93 Classic hard dash Plymouth Blue
03 L322 Oslo Blue
2000 Disco TD5 ES Epsom Green
98 P38 Rioja Red
89 Classic Cairngorm Brown

Post #335435 1st Jul 2015 4:59pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

It's about creating a hub airport - no point building lots of little airfields all over the country - that's not what it's about.

Hubs attract more flights - the more connected a country/city is, the more business wants to be there & people with money want to live there.

Better transport between the existing airports would be helpful though - getting between Heathrow & Gatwick is a joke - when even the BAA website says take a National Express coach - on which you can take limited luggage - something is badly wrong

Agree on HS2 - needs to be a way to connect to the airport - maybe just more shuttle type flights ?

Post #335437 1st Jul 2015 5:12pm
stoutgoose

SoggyBottoms wrote:
Northolt runway is only long enough for local aircraft and there is no room for expansion unless they bulldoze West Ruislip and remodel Western Avenue from Polish for a ways
you need 10k feet of runway for a medium to long range aircraft
the Heathrow expansion makes more sense

I agree that you couldn't get a 3 mile runway there, but by realigning and using it as a dedicated short haul runway, you could divert a large proportion of A320/737 medium type aircraft that can easily use this length, leaving the longer runways for heavy traffic.

This solution was investigated during the enquiry, however I believe there is a lot of expensive property in the area occupied by influential people!

Post #335438 1st Jul 2015 6:12pm
Andy B

England 

Gatwick every time. Great transport links via the M23 and Victoria station as opposed to the western section of the M25 and the picyerwilly tube line. Also much less impact wrt demolishing homes, much cheaper for the Government (read taxpayers like us). Also Heathrow is busting the European air quality limits already, add another runway and the Gov needs to provide oxygen masks to those on the flightpath Shocked

Boris Island....interesting concept, but a crap idea. SDV8 AB MY 2019
SDV8 VSE MY 2015 - Gone
5.0 S/C AB MY 2010 - Gone
4.2 S/C VSE MY 2006 - Gone

Post #335446 1st Jul 2015 7:09pm
Muttley

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Stornoway Grey
Re: Heathrow Airport expansion

J90 wrote:
Well now that we've discussed fracking what about the new runway at Heathrow?
I live in the NW but believe the capitol's airport at Heathrow is a national asset that is quickly falling behind its European competitors in the race to be 'the' European hub.
The current proposal suggests a new runway at Heathrow rather than Gatwick but wherever it's built we need airport expansion for the Capitol and overall benefit of the country.
So what do we think? New runway? Where?

Heathrow every time all because a few thousand residents will have to relocate but know one sees how many that would be put out of work if mad Borris has his way , not just the people that work at Heathrow but all the company's that rely on this airport for there jobs.
It make me laugh the amount of people that really have no idea what will happen if Heathrow goes, probably because they don't live anywhere near it and don't have a clue of the impact it would have if it doesn't expand.
As a resident very close to Heathrow , the tunnel for terminall 6 is already there and most of everything else is set up for it to expand.
My rant over ! Current : 4.2 S/C, now Sold Sad
Previous : V70 Volvo, S40 Volvo ( a very reliable old banger ), E39 M5, Carlton Diplomat and the list goes on Smile

Life Sucks but ya just have to do the best you can with what you have !

Post #335449 1st Jul 2015 7:23pm
J90

France 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black

Well as a northerner who lives close to Manchester airport I still believe that London, our capitol, needs an airport that can handle current and future traffic needs whilst maintaining it's current position as the hub of choice for NW Europe. We need the best airport possible for the greater benefit of the country.
Expanding Heathrow or Gatwick is not a southern centric argument, it's a strategic commercial and financial decision for the UK.
We already have our northern powerhouse airport hub at Manchester. Houses were demolished and great crested newts moved to a new home. Manchester airport has never looked back. Now it's time for Heathrow or Gatwick. What we as a country cannot do is p£&is in the wind about this decision.
How can it take 15 years to build a new runway!

Post #335482 1st Jul 2015 10:04pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

I smell a public enquiry!

Post #335485 1st Jul 2015 10:15pm
Flashman

England 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

Having lived in Windsor and SW London I do think that Heathrow is not the right area for a huge hub airport.

Maybe controversial, but I support the idea of a totally new airport in the Thames estuary. Planes can take off and land over water and avoid the crowded populated parts of the SE. They can then link it to the M25 as well as rail networks. Europe's biggest container port is there already, perfect for a core national hub.

If it resulted in Heathrow shutting down, then so be it, the area needs housing and the new space could accommodate a new town. The airport is important to the local population but not critical. Phase the transition over a long period and it will be no shock to the area.

I know the idea has been thrown out, but expanding outdated WW2 airbases close to highly populated areas is just not the way forward if we are to look at this for the long term. We need to think about safety, convenience and pollution solutions.

Currently I don't live far from the Thames in Essex and there is a huge amount of land on the river that is perfect for such a project and the links to London are not too bad, and can be improved.

Just because Heathrow is the current famous and popular destination is irrelevant if the new airport is far better, larger and better connected to London, in no time at all it will be the new favourite with the right design and PR. Let's move forward rather than patching up the past. Tom

Current Drive
2011 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography - Santorini Black - Ivory Leather

Previous Drives
2004 Model Vogue Td6 (Touchscreen) - Java Black - Parchment Leather
1994 RR Classic 3.9 V8 Soft dash - Niagara Grey - Grey Leather
1972 Series III SWB Safari - Green (Hand Painted) - Black Plastic

Last edited by Flashman on 2nd Jul 2015 9:11am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #335490 1st Jul 2015 11:06pm
stoutgoose

Personally I am a fan of Boris Island, primarily because even if Heathrow gets another runway, the current expansion argument will again resurface in the future.

By making such a huge commitment now, a legacy that could just keep on expanding with minimal human impact could be put in place. As has been said, transport links are good and could be made excellent, and a link to cargo/container ports would be important as has been developed and proven in Dubai.

Funding it is another matter entirely, and Heathrow would almost certainly have to close due to airspace constraints which would be deeply unpopular with a local work force.

Post #335514 2nd Jul 2015 8:37am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>