Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > L322 to L405 - Any regrets?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 10 <12345678910>
Print this entire topic · 
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

One of my best friends has an 2014 ML63 - it sounds absolutely awesome and feels very quick but the fuel economy would kill me - give me the L405 any day Thumbs Up

Post #339655 29th Jul 2015 12:15am
Alistair

carlos50 wrote:
Its back in this Thursday to have the bushes changed in the front suspension and I have passed these same comments to the dealer, lets see what happens?

Either I am expecting way too much or its got something wrong and they aren't telling me?

You absolutely have to drive another car - it's the only way you will ever really know whether it's a problem with yours or a feature of the L405 that you are particularly sensitive to.

Post #339657 29th Jul 2015 1:22am
carlos50

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Out of interest do the 22" wheels reduce a bit of the bouncy effect or is it not really noticeable having the lower tyre profile, I've got 21" at the moment.

I thought the ML63 was the way to go, do also have an option on another Cayenne Turbo but unsure on both fronts now

Post #339668 29th Jul 2015 7:35am
Alistair

I'm not sure what 'bouncy' means Confused

From your other posts, it sounds like you are quite sensitive to the setup and feel of the car, so you really need to try for yourself.

Mine has 22's but is in France until September otherwise you could have tried that.

I really would find another to drive and establish whether it's yours in particular that has a problem or the L405 in general that you don't like Thumbs Up

Post #339688 29th Jul 2015 9:31am
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Agreed - if there was an intrinsic problem with how the L405 drove I don't think they'd sell very many of them, nor would they garner so many positive press reviews.

Post #339709 29th Jul 2015 11:51am
carlos50

Mine is in today, new lower control arms required they confirmed last night.

We got talking about the drive in general and I commented about it not dropping to 1st in S mode and he said it is meant to so they will look at that also.

Fingers crossed they make some adjustments that improve things, the ML63 deal & Cayenne Turbo deal have both fallen through because the offers on my L405 were very low, even the local LR dealer wasnt that interested in talking about me buying a Sport from them, so perhaps the market is starting to open up for this RR now Sad

Post #339864 30th Jul 2015 7:03am
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Wasn't going to last forever - no longer a novelty, loads of used ones around, first customer cars out of warranty in a few months. Hardly a surprise.

Post #339918 30th Jul 2015 1:32pm
carlos50

Feedback from the dealer suggests nothing was wrong with the suspension other than the lower control arms so it was me expecting too much from it Big Cry

Post #339919 30th Jul 2015 2:08pm
Alistair

Did you drive another one ?

Does it feel any better with new lower control arms ?
I have no idea what they do - but it must make some sort of a difference......

Post #340032 30th Jul 2015 11:25pm
carlos50

No they asked if I would drive mine for a few days and report back.

I dont know what the lower control arms do either really, internet suggests its to control the front wheels over bumps etc. and to be honest I do think its tightened it up in the steering and it feels a little less jittery, it doesnt seem to rock from side to side as much as it did before so an improvement in that respect.

Its still quite a soft ride but I think I have expected too much, its not the Sport model and will give a more wafting type ride, so I will live with that.

They looked into the 1st gear thing and asked LR who have confirmed that the L405 does not change down to 1st unless the paddle is used or its in hill descent mode, there is no update to make it do that. I have asked twice now and been told the same thing so unless somebody can provide firm details of an update they has done by LR then I am resigned to accepting the 2nd gear pull away.

I do like the L405 in many other areas, I just thought it would drive a bit flatter, but then thats the Sport, and I like the look of the FFRR much better Thumbs Up

Thanks to all who commented, the search for some 22" wheels starts now.

Carl

Post #340047 31st Jul 2015 7:03am
scuddriver

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black
L322 v L405

This is a very interesting thread, and it is good to hear opinions of owners old and new.
the thing is, a new L405 owner will shell out 80-100k for one of these, and will lose over £1 in depreciation for every mile travelled in the first three years. I have no doubt that the L405 is a better overall driving experience, but the run out 2011/12 model 322s are excellent value for money by comparison, have the same engine and gearbox, are well sorted (mostly) and drive beautifully.
OK so the L405 is lighter, more economical, looks more modern, etc etc, but you pay a huge premium for that privilege. So do enjoy your new cars, L405 owners, but look after them well, because I will be in the market for one in rwo or three years when they have come down to a sensible price 2011 Vogue TDV8 4.4
1992 Mazda Mx5

Post #340910 5th Aug 2015 7:45pm
carlos50

I gave up on mine yesterday, its not worth the premium price in my opinion. Others will disagree but since I have owned several variants of Bentley, high end Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, BMW and Range Rover in the past 10 years I feel I am qualified to comment, and its not up to the standard of a £100k vehicle.

I paid £65k for mine and got back £58k for it in px so not too bad but it had too many niggly issues, poor dealer and LR support and an arrogance that has really put me off. LR are riding high and good luck to them but I dont think it will last, just look on this section of the forum, its crammed with complaints and the L405 is only 2 years old, I wonder how bad it will be when they are out of new car warranty and failing on second hard buyers, the ar*e will fall out of the brand.

Out of date technology, questionable build quality as always, depreciation starting to hit the used market, a lack of customer care and so on.

I am finished with RR brand after 8 vehicles over a 20 year period, they always have some failings, some say its what makes them special, I disagree now that the pricing structure has reached £100k, its simply not good enough.

Carl

Post #340963 6th Aug 2015 9:11am
Pixelpower

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Santorini Black

Bought mine from new, couldn't be more impressed with it. No problems, niggles, etc. Dealer is a bit crap, but no worse than Porsche or Audi, who I've bought from in the past. One thing I've learnt is never to buy the first iteration of a new car. Did that with my 911 and that had a series of issues which got fixed in the next MY.

Technology is comparatively OK, not great - My 2013 991 wouldn't even accept a full postcode in the Sat Nav!

Last edited by Pixelpower on 6th Aug 2015 10:07am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #340970 6th Aug 2015 9:54am
dfulgo

Italy 

...makes more noise a falling tree than a growing forest...

Just to point out that it's normal reading of complains in forums, nobody looks for advices on a working thing..., ...am I wrong?

This is not supposed to affect your point of view anyway.

Post #340971 6th Aug 2015 9:57am
EdJ

United Kingdom 

I've watched this thread with interest and was hesitant about the new model, but after one month of my year old L405, I can honestly say that I'm super impressed.

I've owned new Porsche and Audi (as well as my previous L322) in the past and the quality is genuinely up there, and a clear step up over the L322. Yes, the sat nav is woeful, but it's the only real negative I can think of.

Sorry you've had such a bad experience, but hopefully you'll be back! 2024 Range Rover P550e AB

Post #340975 6th Aug 2015 10:15am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 10 <12345678910>