Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Roading & Green Laning > Land Rover Experience Days.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
stoutgoose

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Zermatt Silver
Land Rover Experience Days.

Click image to enlarge

So, only nine months after buying the car, we finally managed to book and attend the complimentary off-road experience day that came with it.

We were in a 4.4 TDV8 L405, and although ours is the last of the previous model, the engine and most of the off-road equipment is the same so it was a good demonstration of what we can expect should we ever choose to properly abuse ours!

I know the cars are good and I have a reasonable amount of off-roading experience in Land Rovers and Foden recovery trucks courtesy of the British Army, however I really was very impressed with the capability of this car.

The three hours spent driving were firstly spent in an obstacle course, as per the photo, followed by field, track and mud bath driving. The obstacle course was mighty fun, tackling things such as a 1:1 hill both down and in reverse back up, balancing the car on opposite wheels on diagonal humps, running around the rim of a pond in order to lift wheels (I'm not sure what the maximum tilt angle on the car is but we felt pretty close to it when looking out of a side window and seeing nothing but ground!), plus lots of other challenges.

The thing that really surprised me was that all of this was done on Pirelli Scorpions which are pretty much road tyres with a little bit extra. The only time these let the car down were when attempting to turn the car out of very deep mud and water filled ruts, due to the lack of side wall/edge grip. Everything else was dispatched with distain and under total control.

Dave, our instructor inspired total confidence both when demonstrating the car's performance, and also when instructing us.

We live near Brooklands and regularly pass the Mercedes Benz world off-road track on which you see ML's and the like being tested. In comparison, the MB track looks like a kid's playground!

In conclusion, a great day out, but I won't be buying a used white L405.....ever!

Post #346319 6th Sep 2015 7:50am
The Moose

Is that the one at Luton Hoo?

Post #357514 17th Nov 2015 11:04pm
stoutgoose

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Zermatt Silver

Yes. Forgot to mention that fact!

Post #357516 17th Nov 2015 11:15pm
The Moose

Great fun day out there - I had a day there in the Evoque when it had just been released.

Good little car Smile

Post #357517 17th Nov 2015 11:17pm
wilwak

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV6 Corris Grey

We've just had the same invite. None of the sites are that close for us so we'll most likely do the West Country one.

I'm always wary of buying JLR vehicles with reg plates starting O !

I've thrashed quite a few different Jags around circuits and courses over the years (edit: ...on Jaguar Experience Days). They are all Jag owned vehicles and have plates starting O.

Having said that many Jag vehicles are simply management cars and even get lent to celebrities and royals so they should be ok!

Last edited by wilwak on 19th Nov 2015 8:28am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #357666 18th Nov 2015 11:04pm
DrF

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Orkney Grey

Thumbs Up

Post #357675 19th Nov 2015 12:33am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1