Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > TD6 EGR Bypass Query.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
JLS

Norway 2002 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black

.... and be aware that the fan nut is "links"-threaded (Loosening the nut turning it with the clock)!!!

Post #371141 7th Feb 2016 8:35pm
sarn

England 2002 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Epsom Green

kingpleb not sure if you were asking me to make up 2 blanking kits so you could have one. Please clarify.

Post #371192 8th Feb 2016 12:41am
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Hi Sarn,

Yes please if your making some up and can spare making another two up at all that would be great as I still can't find a uk source for the bits the Aussie guys use. FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #371264 8th Feb 2016 3:54pm
sarn

kingpleb will make up 2 sets of bits to complete this EGR system removal. Will make sure all is well on my 2002 TD6 after fitting,only then will contact you. Please send me a PM with your address and phone number.

Post #371285 8th Feb 2016 6:24pm
kingpleb

PM sent Sarn super many thanks 👍😊 FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's

Post #371301 8th Feb 2016 8:17pm
sarn

Well I've took the plunge and removed all the EGR assembly in its entirety. I have cut through the SS corrugated pipe that links the cooler to the exhaust manifold as I intend to use the heavy duty Flange. Next a SS slug was machined to fit the flange and with the same end profile of the discarded pipe. This was bolted in place to effectively blank off the original EGR exhaust outlet. Tomorrow I intend to visit Demon Tweeks and purchase 2 x 16mm bore Silicon blanking caps and pipe clamps. These will be used to cap off the hose stubs either side of the water pump. On my truck the lower hose must have been removed in an earlier life and re attached using a jubilee clip so easy to fit cap. The top hose stub utilises BMW quick release couplings, one straight and one with 90 degree bend. I carefully cut through the hose clamp of the straight coupling and removed the hose. This unit was refitted to the coolant rail ready for its blanking cap to be fitted. . . . .

Post #371722 10th Feb 2016 8:49pm
kingpleb

Those BMW clips, are they the over clip type ones that are made to measure for the pipe and a pain to get off with all but the special release and clamp tool? FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's

Post #371760 10th Feb 2016 11:25pm
sarn

Hi kingpleb yes these couplings are used (in various sizes) on most of the TD6 coolant pipes. There is a male & female half and you have to lift a wire clip before you can pull them apart.

Post #371761 10th Feb 2016 11:47pm
sarn

Have now finished removal project and fitted new water pump thermostat. After a test run of 10 miles engine temp gauge reached mid point once I'd covered about 3 miles and stayed there. ( has not been much above the quarter mark for last 6 months) Fitting the fan was somewhat easier with EGR assembly gone. Do a fair amount of towing so reluctant to discard this item. For anybody out there wanting to do this removal the only parts required are 1 pack 16mm Silicon blanking plugs and hose clips (ebay item no eBay Item No. 270967905450) and an exhaust port blanking plug which I would be happy to machine at reasonable cost.

Post #372041 12th Feb 2016 7:11pm
fisha

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

I remember this being debated years ago with the land rovers. The up shot of it was that I personally am a supporter of keeping the viscous unit.

Yes, the electric can switch on and off as required, but the thing that swuing the argument for me was that the vicious unit was physically able to shift more air when fully engaged than electric, and for me when towing, that mattered.

As for warm up times, just changing the thermostat to a new one made a much bigger difference to maintaining temp. V8 or else ...

Post #372098 12th Feb 2016 10:42pm
kingpleb

To be honest I've towed without one and had no issues. The electric fan shifts just as much air on full power. Most people will only hear it on low or med speed if working hard but I've heard mine on high when testing it and once when offroad in the summer.

Even when towing a portaloo block in the summer I'd be happy mine as is.

If you don't ever use your AC you could get an issue I suppose but you'd have to be a rare beast to not just leave AC on in your FF... FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's

Post #372100 12th Feb 2016 11:06pm
frikkadel

South Africa 

I put a blanking plate on the egr and i closed up the vacuum pipe inlet. But i wonder, where does that pipe led to. All i could see was somewhere in the back . I blocked off that pipe as well.
is this ok?

Post #397101 22nd Jul 2016 10:21am
Bluegreygreen Rangie

Australia 

Another here,
Who removed and bypassed the egr cooler, No problems what so ever , I removed mine after it sprung a leak and thought to myself who needs this stupid thing anyway. of course i blanked and removed my egr set up ages ago

Removing the viscous fan is a great idea.. i cant beleive i have not got around to doing it, a good few hp been robbed there

Dave

Post #397776 26th Jul 2016 2:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12