Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Refurbishing 22" Turbines
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
MartSim73

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black
Refurbishing 22" Turbines

I have a set (4) 22" Turbine wheels currently on my L322 but am in the process of changing down to 20's at the end of the month. It leaves me with the turbines...

...Now, I want to sell these on but have been informed that one wheel has a hairline crack about an inch long where it had previously been welded (I've not been able to see it myself yet, it's on the inside rim somewhere Shocked ). So, could this still be fixed (again) and the wheels refurbished? They need refinishing due to the previous owner obviously not talking the best care of them. The tyres have 6/7mm of tread left but are two different makes.

1) is it worth spending to then sell them?
2) do I just sell them as is and obviously state one needs "proper" repair?
3) do I separate tyres from wheels, and sell all as individuals bar the damaged alloy?

Talking to the LR dealer 4 replacement alloys of the same style (L405 turbines) will set you back the best part of 4K!!! Excluding rubber bands Shocked He suggested I could get 1k unfurnished(?) but reading here alloys and tyres are going for a lot less.... Any thoughts or suggestions most welcome. They will be available "as is" next month unless I get some recommendations. Not done this before, so don't want to be taken to the cleaners Whistle
Cheers in anticipation Thumbs Up

Last edited by MartSim73 on 16th Mar 2016 8:54pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #377836 16th Mar 2016 8:47pm
n1cktdv8

2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Without a picture my statement could be Laughing laughed out of court...but £1000 and they are in need of refurb plus one needs welding is ambitious

For some ideas on cost have a look at a well known auction site that rhymes with "quay gay" Mr. Green

Bang some pics up so the boys can pick the meat Thumbs Up Is this where I put the car details and a bit about myself ?........

Post #377838 16th Mar 2016 8:54pm
MartSim73

I agree n1cktdv8!

I didn't say that's what I wanted, hence its why I'm asking for help here. I have no idea what to ask in the condition they are in. The photo I have is not good as they look OK from the distance taken but faces / edges of alloys have grazes and degradation probably from all the salt on the roads? They need refacing and finishing.

Looking for someone with some knowledge to lend a bit of advice. I have no idea here... I suppose I could say I'll take them down the tip... Bet someone would then want them! Lmao Rolling with laughter

Post #377842 16th Mar 2016 9:02pm
MartSim73

Hmmm... I select the picture from file but forum isn't letting me upload? Sorry Big Cry

Post #377844 16th Mar 2016 9:04pm
n1cktdv8

You need to load it up to your own gallery first pal, then copy the code and dump it in the reply Thumbs Up Is this where I put the car details and a bit about myself ?........

Post #377845 16th Mar 2016 9:06pm
MartSim73

Click image to enlarge

Hope this works Shocked

Post #377851 16th Mar 2016 9:23pm
MartSim73

Ha ha! Done it... Learn something new every day... Thank you n1cktdv8 Thumbs Up Bow down

Post #377852 16th Mar 2016 9:26pm
n1cktdv8

No worries Thumbs Up

If you do decide to refurb...I'd be inclined to "black up" as they look very Cool when gloss black Is this where I put the car details and a bit about myself ?........

Post #377853 16th Mar 2016 9:30pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Are you sure they are real/genuine JLR wheels? as JLR ones don’t come in that colour finish... Secondly, you say yours is cracked! JLR originals DONT crack like fakes...

If they are, i would skip them as they only cost from £800 a set (wheels only) and will cost more than they are worth to refurb...

Just my 2p sir Bow down Thumbs Up

Post #377892 16th Mar 2016 11:12pm
MartSim73

Hi Cam-tech-Craig,

The sales chaps at my local JLR dealership seemed to suggest they were original. So was going on what they said Embarassed I'm the second owner of the L322 and only had it a little over 6 months so new to FFRR ownership. My last LR Def had steels with 33" 12.50's so alloys are a bit of a novelty Thumbs Up when I get them off, I'll pop them on that other sale site and see what happens. Might get something for the tyres at least if not, the tip is just down the road Big Cry Whistle Thumbs Up
Cheers

Post #378067 17th Mar 2016 8:23pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Mart, by all means PM me some pics when you remove them so i should be able to advise you if they are genuine or not sir Thumbs Up

Post #378105 17th Mar 2016 11:26pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

If your looking for a reputable wheel refurbisher, who also does exceptionally fine repair work, I can recomend these peep's http://www.wheelrefurbishing.co.uk/ The Chap who set up the company started off repairing off shore power boat propellers, and is an absolute master when it comes to welding aluminium and alloy compounds Thumbs Up

At their prices at just over £60 to refurb and diamond cut the wheels your only looking at £250 ish + repair.... I had my 18" wheels done and I'm more than happy with the result, and they are still looking fine after a year and 20K Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #378111 18th Mar 2016 1:12am
highfellzippy

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV6 Montalcino Red
wheels

Are the wheel genuine ??

Post #379519 26th Mar 2016 4:46pm
MartSim73

Not sure if genuine yet... They come off at the end of the coming week. Weather is rubbishy here so not climbing underneath to look at rear side of wheels to look for stamps. Dealer thought genuine, but as stated above, LR wheels shouldn't crack Big Cry . I'm hoping they might be genuine as I might be able to get a few pennies back for my new wheels, but not getting my hopes up. Let you know next weekend Thumbs Up

Post #379521 26th Mar 2016 5:07pm
MartSim73

Well, it looks like the wheels weren't genuine... No LR markings but that of another Unknown company!? So most likely to stick them on one of the sale sites. They require a bloody good refurb, but getting a few quid for them is better than just binning them for someone else to pick em up and flog them!
Really pleased with the new wheels though... 20" with 255 50 20. Looks more like a RR than the "pimp" truck it was, so much happier! Oh, and the ride has massively transformed for the better. My teeth no longer rattle over every little bump in the road. I'm loving the graceful comfort as we waft down the country roads Thumbs Up

Post #380524 3rd Apr 2016 12:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1