Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Rear suspension squeeekkkk doing my head in!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Sleeper

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue
Rear suspension squeeekkkk doing my head in!

Now ive had this issue for a while.
It started squeaking about a year ago.
If the car was jacked up or lowered the noise would go..... for a few days. So i think something is dry and the extra lift or drop takes it out of the squeak zone which helps but does not cure it.
Next
Winter sets in and squeak gone Very Happy ...cool as i didn’t want to mess around with it in the poo weather
so i forget about it for a good few months
Then roads dry out and its back Laughing
It was that loud you could hear me coming before you see me.

So after some investigation (squeak driver side) i change the upper and lower bushes. Result.....squeak gone!
for about 2 months. Big Cry
So i put up with i for a little longer and then popped to a garage local where my mate works
Got it up on the ramp and rocked the car to get the squeak back so that from under the car we can identify the location of it......not as easy as thought!

With more bushes than a stately home we had no chance; it was like chasing a squeak around all the suspension parts, then from one side to another. (didn’t realise the passenger side was also doing it but the driver side was just louder)
The resonating of it travelled down other suspension components and took us around in circles.
So we grabbed a stethoscope, continued to rock the car (took it in turns as its blummin hard work!) and tried to narrow it down.
What we found sort of..... bemused us both so im asking for some input. Idea
The squeak was the loudest right under the passenger airbag. You know where it sits on the rear arm? Well i put the scope against the underside of the arm (on top was the airbag) and in the middle and it was loud. Right next to the little bolt that you see protruding!
Anyone have any ideas?
What’s inside the rear bags...shocks?
Im sure i read somewhere that they can squeak inside but only seen the comment when browsing and couldn’t find it again.
Ive change both fronts (compete unit) which takes me about an hour each side but not looked into doing the rears, they a pain?
And IF its that (not knowing yet how to take them off) is it worth changing anything else when doing them, assuming other bolts may have to be removed to gain assess etc.
Smile Smile

Post #393551 29th Jun 2016 12:29am
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Clip on the top, that little bolt on the bottom 10 min job... No shock inside, it's forward of the rear wheels
Never heard of a bag squeaking, maybe just needs a good clean... Did you use genuine top hub bushes?? And have you changed the bottom hub bushes as they are the usual culprits.... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #393671 29th Jun 2016 6:52pm
Sleeper

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue

cool ill look at replacing them.
Yes both top and botom changed with gen items.
Im not saying the bag was squeaking, its just that the noise was loudest on the bottom of the leg ontop of which the bags sits.
Tis strange!

Post #393708 29th Jun 2016 9:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1