Thanks Stan... Thumbs Up

Post #396337 16th Jul 2016 10:29am
RR2008HSE

Canada 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

Not seeing the pics. ??

Post #397189 22nd Jul 2016 9:19pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

hi all been away from this forum for a while, as my car doesn't seem to go wrong these days. which I don't mind at all!
hoping to bump this thread up, as thinking of going this year to the Classic. haven't been before.
i'm travelling alone, through Calias, and drive down on the Thursday. what I hope to do is typically sleep in my Rangie. I do have a small tent, but wonder if, its allowed to just crash out in my car, in a car park. do people typically park in car parks, or is it extra to go to (with my own tent) camp sites? from what I can see on sites, its a hell of a lot extra to camp. Has anyone done the camping (own tent ) method, as ive seen supplied pitched tents, at quite high prices, and don't want that. I know it could be very hot, and I can get on with that. ive done worse things in past years. so, what would you suggest fellow Classic 'veterans' and what area would be best to park. i'm a keen amateur track sport photographer, with decent equipment. so its a busmans holiday.
shame I cant see Craigs pictures in the preceeding pages.

Post #468251 12th Feb 2018 9:34am
johnboyairey

I posted here a couple of years ago, before I went to Le Mans classic, and seeing as I enjoyed it so much, I plan to go again.. so, just replying to this old thread, with a few observations. It's every other year, in early july, and is a huge event. when I posted before, I wanted to know, was could I wing it, camping very basically. the answer is sort of yes. I basically booked through Pistonheads, and '1st tickets' using Pistonheads as a sort of discount. I booked my own ferry, and that was £110 for a 5 day break crossing. ie went out Thursday am, returned Monday eve. I used the day travelling, and stopping at a couple of towns to break up the journey. ((I went on my own etc) I didn't use the toll roads, as I had plenty of time, to savour the rural routes etc. so I paid about £200 to 1st tickets, for the public camping on Blue Nord, which is about 5 mins from the main track entrance. (not the vehicle main entrance) you only use a small part of the track, for spectating, as its mostly closed off, but its a typical trackside atmosphere, in that area. that £200 includes entrance over all three days, and pit walkabout. this is essential, as yes, you can walk right up to many cars, and watch them being revved up and worked on... part of the buzz around the track etc. you get general admission for that. grandstands would be more. yes theres a lot of people there. but you can see quite a lot from many public places. there is a huge shopping/interest area, with all manner of automoblia, vehicles, and services to view, and dribble over. and all around the track, there are thousands of cars proudly displayed by visiting patrons, and clubs etc. I'm definitely going again this year, and for around £300, plus fuel, food etc. I think it decent value. You can pay more, and get an enclosed fenced camping, and get meals, and use of a marquee, and TV. -and wifi etc. the public camping, has showers and toilets, and sinks for washing up. theres tons of food inside, and beer! but that 8 euros a pint. so use a supermarket nearby to fill you coolbox! its a few minutes walk into town, and is huge, sells everything.
Last time it was very hot, and world cup was on.. it was a superb atmosphere, and I thoroughly recommend it. I couldn't have slept in my car, as it was too hot. and sleeping in a tent, meant you were out out of it early, as you got hot as the sun warmed up... so no hangovers! the racing was fantastic. you get a Friday all day qualy.. and racing Saturday from abot 10am, all the way through the night, through to sunday 5pm ish. many different races, about three races per class. many different eras of cars... some hilarously slow, from so long ago. its like a continental Goodwood Revival, but with only mild period attire wear. a very good atmosphere.

Post #538577 27th Dec 2019 9:14am
107SW

United Kingdom 

Thank you for this advice, very interesting to read.

I hope to go, but going with a relative who would not camp.

We are currently looking for accommodation (but struggling), so your report of the event itself & the good atmosphere is very interesting, thank you.

Post #538711 28th Dec 2019 4:19pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

In 2016 we stayed in a Gite around 20 mins drive away... Had a pool and secure parking for all our cars Thumbs Up

We wanted a swim/bit of leisure time in the mornings before heading off to the track, refreshed Thumbs Up

Post #538715 28th Dec 2019 4:46pm
Dixy

2016 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Loire Blue

Have been several times and considering going this time in the 101 Forward Control. letters not necessarily in the right order

Post #538781 29th Dec 2019 10:01am
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

That is a fair old trek to do in one of those. Hats off to you if you decide to do it!! Fun, but slow and noisy.... There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #538804 29th Dec 2019 1:00pm
Mr Tee

Scotland 

Dedication to the cause, would have room for many wines in a forward control

Post #538814 29th Dec 2019 2:35pm
johnboyairey

...if you look at the map of the circuit, youll see that only about a quarter of the lap, is spectatored. but within this area, is a huge amount of content, from driven-there show cars, club stands, premium show cars..and loads of shops selling cars, and automobilia. you could spend a whole day perusing those. I wanted a photography weekend, so knowing I would be no company with others, went on my own. so was happy to slum it a little camping. and I didn't want to waste any trackside/pits time, with a lay in,, or evening meal. I was self cooking behind my tent, from a coolbox. and lunching in the circuit. there are a lot of people there. but a great atmosphere. you can spend a lot getting some accomodation, with meals etc. but that wasn't a priority for me. though I did meet up with some friends, on the last evening, when we rode bicycles into Arnage. and watched a load of people showing off they cars as many of them drove through the narrow village/town. Also, on the Monday the track was then a road, so I drove a lap.. almost! its a premium event, and a busy timetable. you have to give up some races to lurk around the pits. watching those cars filing out the pits, to assembly area, was good, and also the area where cars come off track, and get back to pits was good as they mostly have the doors open, and waving, as you are so close. I shot this clip on a gopro, whilst taking pictures, at the jag pits area. I was doing a pitwalk just before, and was all over the cars.

Post #538889 30th Dec 2019 9:40am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123