Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > 04 4.4 lmost dead.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Chasazim

Australia 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Epsom Green
04 4.4 lmost dead.

Help.coming from the market, only rode about 500 meters when felt a judder, egine light came on and car lost all Power, pulled over let her rest a minute and tried again. As there was no missfire I tried again, it just got worse until it sounds like it's firing on only one cylinder. Got carted Home and used my iiD tool to clear falts, disconnected battery and gave it a charge. One fault I noted was electric thermostat wiring fault, checked connections, all seems OK. I suspected fuel, because it seemed to get worse but I have a quarter tank, could it be fuel pump? And how can I test it.I am running out of ideas any help would be much appreciated. Big Cry

Post #398365 30th Jul 2016 10:05am
Rosco

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Baltic Blue

Pete (Haylands) is your man for this one, I am sure he will be along at some point if not PM him Thumbs Up

Post #398369 30th Jul 2016 10:09am
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

Not sure how similar your symptoms are but these are the issues I had when my heated thermostat failed and shorted the wiring :

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/post200425.html#200425

Phil

Post #398379 30th Jul 2016 11:00am
Chasazim

Read that post and checked fuses thinking " it can,t be this easy" well it was,t. Fuses are fine. Thanks for the sugestion Thumbs Up it still sounds to me like a fuel problem.but then I come from a time when I used to reason that if you had fuel and spark then it should run Rolling with laughter not any more. Please continue the suggestions. Bow down

Post #398383 30th Jul 2016 11:19am
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Rosco wrote:
Pete (Haylands) is your man for this one, I am sure he will be along at some point if not PM him Thumbs Up

Don't big me up Ross, I haven't a clue, I can tell you the thermostat fault will have nothing at all to do with engine problems, mine has been disconnected for years and runs fine.... it's not a sensor so will have no effect on fuel delivery etc....

If you want guesses then

I'd check fuel pressure at the rail, there is a schrader valve to check it.... If low, could be pump...

If not camshaft or crankshaft sensor, also corrosion in the ABS pump socket can cause all sorts of faults....

If no helpful codes then it's good old fashion work through the systems, it needs air, petrol and a spark... you have to find what it's not getting.... Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #398400 30th Jul 2016 1:18pm
Chasazim

Thanks Heylands, I like your thinking, I was just going through some posts on another forum dealing with checking pump relay and connections and of course if the pump is working. I am leaning toward fuel problems as when it first lost power it would run but rough and now it will crank smoothly but sound like it only wants to fire on one cylinder. Will start the journey of discovery tomorrow. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #398402 30th Jul 2016 1:34pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

lots of the early petrol models, suffer from a fuel pump pressure failure. there is a valve to check pressure on the fuel rail, (silver pipe on inlet manifold. ) there is also, a fuel filter underneath, near to spare wheel well. if you have another inline fuel pump, from another vehicle, you could try plumbing it in underneath, and see if it fires up. theres a WIKI on how to change the fuel pump. i did mine, i only changed the actual pump at around £70. unlike others that bought the whole drop in assembly at about £400 -accessed under the rear folding seat carpet. when mine went, it just stopped, and would not fire, however it did start a couple of times, but cut out as soon as the pedal was touched.
easy start is one method, but you risk damaging the MAF. -if you over spray it. -you only need to know if it fires, -that you do indeed have a fuelling fault.
one easy way, might be to thump the petrol tank hard from the side, (underneth) in case the pump is stuck.
you guys down under, must have heard of this stuff..

Post #398403 30th Jul 2016 1:41pm
Chasazim

Thanks for the encouragement, actually down Under we have what is called " Start you Bitch " I think it works the same.lol Rolling with laughter Whistle

Post #398406 30th Jul 2016 2:08pm
Chasazim

All fixed Shocked checked fuel at the bleed valve on the motor, no fuel Sad gotta be the fuel pump, lifted the carpet etc to access the pump, pulled the plug and checked for power, got power, reconnected pump plug and did the relay check, Shocked pump running, checked bleed valve and plenty fuel, turned the key and hey Presto she runs without a hitch, try a few more times and no problems. All back together and I can only guess that it must have been either the pump plug or the relay connections. I consider this to be a practice run for the next time Razz
Thanks for the help Thumbs Up : Thumbs Up

Post #398506 31st Jul 2016 8:59am
Haylands

If you need a new pump soon, which is probably likely, then get one from an X5 and just change the pump itself into the FF carrier, costs about a tenth of the price of a genuine FF one... Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold

Post #398515 31st Jul 2016 11:39am
Chasazim

You are right Heylands it's probably due so I can order one in, at least it need not be a panic job and I can look for the best price for a replacement pump. It was most undignified for the ff to ride on the back of a breakdown truck.lol Rolling with laughter Cheers.

Post #398525 31st Jul 2016 1:00pm
Haylands

It's a Land Rover, it's use to getting a lift home..... Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Pete

Post #398545 31st Jul 2016 3:45pm
Chasazim

Rolling Eyes the plot thickens, went to fill up with fuel this morning, the guage read just over a quarter of a tank, took 99.01 litres Shocked so the simple fact was I ran out of petrol and must have formed a air lock, then with me playing around and the 3 litres or so that I added the air lock must have purged.I am bloody lucky I got to the petrol station Rolling with laughter so now for the first time in ages my fuel tank shows full.next project is to check fuel sensors. Any ideas?? Bow down

Post #398610 1st Aug 2016 3:39am
Haylands

Pretty well known issue I think, they just fail and need replacing, or fill it up at 1/3 full.... Thumbs Up Pete

Post #398650 1st Aug 2016 12:47pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

you could do no worse, for now...than to carry a red petrol can, with a spare gallon. in the boot. if lawful.

Post #399778 9th Aug 2016 3:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1