Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Europe > French Carte Grise procedure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
sherman

France 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black
French Carte Grise procedure

Big big thankyou to Weegie for detailed instructions on how to get Carte Grise......it arrived in the post today and was a very straightforward exercise.... thanks to his help....

If any one else needs to know the procedure, please feel free to ask and I will pass on his instructions...
Thanks again

Sherman Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

mod edit, thread title edited 2007 TDV8 VSE Java Black
1994 MX5 1.8s softtop customised VW Diamond Black

Post #379346 25th Mar 2016 11:52am
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Thumbs Up John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #379347 25th Mar 2016 12:06pm
Roystonh

United Kingdom 

Sounds like a beauty cream! 2005 L322 Vogue Gold gone
2006 L322 Vogue Black gone
2011 L322 Vogue Silver gone
2011 L322 Autobiography Black gone
2015 L405 Autobiography LWB Black gone
2019 L405 P400e Range Rover Autobiography LWB Eiger grey / black roof gone
2001 P38a 30th Anniversary Wimbledon Green gone
2019 L405 P525 Autobiography LWB British Racing Green

Post #379357 25th Mar 2016 2:05pm
Saint Bernard

United Kingdom 

Hi Sherman

I am considering the move to France next year and had been wondering about my Range Rover as I'd hate to have to part with it to move across the Channel, have heard that the re-registration process can be difficult so any help from someone who has done it with a Full Fat would be greatly appreciated, mine is a L322 05 Vogue, so 11 years old now but only 118k on the clock and in great nick so well worth keeping.

Cheers
Saint B

Post #398995 3rd Aug 2016 2:22pm
sherman

Hi SB

Ill be happy to help you through the process when the time comes.

One word of advice first though is check your V5......does it have a Type Approval No in section K???
If not you will need a Certificate of Conformity, which can be obtained online I believe. My recommendation would be to obtain such a COC in French, from a French company, as it will make thew whole process easier. 2007 TDV8 VSE Java Black

Post #399058 3rd Aug 2016 7:06pm
Saint Bernard

United Kingdom 

Thanks Sherm

I have checked my V5C and there is a code in the vehicle details at K. Type approval number, can I presume that this is a good start?

Cheers

Saint B

Post #399126 4th Aug 2016 8:10am
sherman

Yes that's great news.

Some readers may disagree with me, but in my experience, in France most local govt procedures are subject to variation by the member of staff you deal with. I would therefore recommend that when you do take your application in, dont take it to the main office, take it to your local sous-prefecture, and ask them for their help in completing the form correctly. At all times, you will receive a better quality of assistance if you use as much French as possible, if your French isn't great, take someone with you to help, but always START your conversation in French, not English. It is much more polite and will receive a much better response.

OK, here we go.

You will need (all originals, no copies)

Passport
Original Purchase Invoice for vehicle
V5
Current MOT
Proof of residency, usually a services bill, (not phone....water, gas or electric)
Application Form (can be downloaded)

Step 1
Go to your local Impot de Taxes and ask for a Quittas Fiscal. This proves you have already paid VAT in UK. No fee is payable. Take all above paperwork

Step 2
Go to your local Controlle Technique (MOT Station) and make an appointment for a CT test. (Appointment is vital as some
CT stations dont have the necessary equipment for 4X4's and have to borrow it from another CT station) Take all above paperwork

Step 3
Attend CT test, ensuring you have 1. 4 x high Viz vests in vehicle (cabin not boot)
2. 1 x warning triangle
3. Altered your headlights over to RH drive (switch behind each headlight)
4. Brought all above paperwork
Step 4
Attend local SousPrefecture with all the above paperwork, plus chequebook. They will help you complete the form and either calculate the fee for you or suggest you attach a blank cheque. I did the latter and it worked fine. It is expensive, about 800 euros, but bear in mind its only like paying your RFL upfront.

Step 5 Wait for Carte Grise to land in post

NB If at any point you are asked for a Certificate of Conformity, politely point out that the V5 has a Type Approval Number, and a COC is not required.

You will not need to get a new CT for the changed number plate
You will need to obtain French car insurance with new number plate
You will need to remove your GB sticker
and your vehicle should contain the Carte Grise at all times.

Despite what you may read on some forums, if you smile, remain polite and patient, you will receive the same helpful service most people receive here from local govt officials, and in most cases, enjoy a much better experience than you would have in the UK.

Shout if anything isn't clear

Finally, I hope you make the move...its the best thing I ever did!!!! 2007 TDV8 VSE Java Black

Post #399170 4th Aug 2016 12:58pm
Weegie

If I may add, by law there is only the requirement for one hi-viz vest in the car. I have never been asked for it at any CT.

As Saint Bernard's car is over ten years old the fee is halved. There are also small variations in the fee depending on the Département. It may seem expensive but he will have no annual road tax

Depending on where he is looking to relocate the Préfecture may be better than the Sous-Préfecture to start off. John
GAP iiD BT

Post #399172 4th Aug 2016 1:07pm
Saint Bernard

United Kingdom 

Thanks Sherm and Weegie, all very clear, and not as daunting as I suspected having read some other sites who were more gloomy around the effort required but less forthcoming with the actual detail of what is required.

I wholly agree about using French, only common courtesy really, fortunately mine is not too bad, may not be grammatically correct all the time and need to listen carefully in conversation but generally I get by, i am sure tat it will improve with increased use. Good news about the tax though expect that it will even out around the same as here over the rest of the lifetime of the car.

We are headed over in 4 weeks time for a weeks worth of viewing and discovery in Brittany (Morbihan) and Sarthe (Le Mans), lovely properties on paper lets hope one of them proves irresistible when we get there.

Thanks for your help

Saint B

Post #399197 4th Aug 2016 5:15pm
Zulu 10

United Kingdom 

Sorry to be slow in adding to this thread, but we went through the Carte Grise procedure at Tulle (Correze 19) last month and couldn't believe how easy it was, though we experienced a couple of differences to what is written above:
1) Our car had been MoT'd just a few weeks before, so a CT was unnecessary: the prefecture were quite happy to read across from a UK MoT certificate. I believe that the limit for this is three months i.e. an MoT certificate issued within three months of the application for Carte Grise.
2) We were given an interim Carte Grise by the prefecture on the day so that we could have number plates made immediately - the final version arrived by post a week later.

Post #403668 6th Sep 2016 2:05pm
FF_FR

France 
Original purchase invoice

Hi
As a newbie to the forum and France !
Could you please clarify what is required regarding the original vat invoice ?
I.e.
The original invoice when new ? This is extremely difficult for a used vehicle
Or
? Any clarifications would be gratefully received

I am intending to buy a 2011 from the second owner and would hope to register in 46000 mid 2018. They do not have the original invoice
Cheers

Post #455555 29th Oct 2017 4:12am
Zulu 10

United Kingdom 

You're absolutely correct: it's impossible to get all the receipts when a car has changed ownership many times, and as soon as the car is sold between two private individuals there's no VAT anyway.

In my case the car I was registering was worth only €7,000, so when I went to the Centre des Impôts I simply took the hand written receipt that the last (private) seller had given me when I bought the car from him, and the lady behind the counter seemed happy with that.

Post #455569 29th Oct 2017 7:53am
FF_FR

France 

Thank you for speedy update ....that's a real comfort to know.

I hope the Cahors 'Lot' are similarly friendly Very Happy !

Bon journee!

Post #455571 29th Oct 2017 8:01am
Weegie

Zulu 10 wrote:

1) Our car had been MoT'd just a few weeks before, so a CT was unnecessary: the prefecture were quite happy to read across from a UK MoT certificate. I believe that the limit for this is three months i.e. an MoT certificate issued within three months of the application for Carte Grise.

The MoT Certificate must be less than six months old (same as for a CT). It is not required if the vehicle is less than four years old but will need to be tested when it gets to four years.

There have also been some changes affecting several départements. From 2 october 2017 these départements will only accept applications on line:

"Régions Grand-Est, Bourgogne-Franche-Comté et départements Seine-et-Marne et Val-de-Marne : fin des démarches à la préfecture

3 oct. 2017 - Direction de l'information légale et administrative (Premier ministre)

Depuis le 2 octobre 2017, dans les départements 08, 10, 21, 25, 39, 51, 52, 54, 55, 57, 58, 67, 68, 70, 71, 77, 88, 89, 90, 94, les demandes de carte grise se font uniquement en ligne, et non plus en préfecture." John
GAP iiD BT

Last edited by Weegie on 29th Oct 2017 8:18am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #455575 29th Oct 2017 8:14am
FF_FR

France 

............en ligne ....real progress seems M Macron has an impact!
let's hope not everything changes .........

Post #455576 29th Oct 2017 8:18am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>