Home > General > help with buying a range rover please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
MrGaz

United Kingdom 
help with buying a range rover please

hey all ,

i am looking to by a range rover 03-05 are the years i want and budget to get me to.

after a few searches i think i have found a lot of none problems, but i am thinking you lot could be a greater help as you own them Wink

i have a bout 9k i want under 100k miles (pref 70k range) and a 4.4 petrol engine .

a 2 people say i should be looking to buy car with refurb gearbox ? at 100k miles should i really be looking for that ?

any help and info taken thankfully

Gaz

Post #402237 27th Aug 2016 3:20pm
Roystonh

United Kingdom 

I would look for one here. Lots of genuine owners who have loved and heritages their cars. Go for something with a full service history (ideally low owners) and has had parts replaced regardless of cost.

Usually people sell them on here with a heavy heart having enjoyed their ownership regardless of the problems they may have experienced. You don't buy a Rangie, you marry it with the highs and lows.... But there's nothing like the experience of driving a RR when everything is going well.

You do need deep pockets and have a contingency budget for when things do go wrong... And they will. Some folks go for warranties, but a spare £3k is worth having if you don't.

Enjoy the search, but it's Deffo worth looking for one here with the full ownership records and life story.

Cheers Roy 2005 L322 Vogue Gold gone
2006 L322 Vogue Black gone
2011 L322 Vogue Silver gone
2011 L322 Autobiography Black gone
2015 L405 Autobiography LWB Black gone
2019 L405 P400e Range Rover Autobiography LWB Eiger grey / black roof gone
2001 P38a 30th Anniversary Wimbledon Green gone
2019 L405 P525 Autobiography LWB British Racing Green

Post #402240 27th Aug 2016 3:45pm
MrGaz

United Kingdom 

few thousand to spend lol i didn't expect that ,

most of the time i have been reading about suspension and compressor issues. the odd few hundred he and there .

what can i expect to get for a few thousand? as thats one thing i haven't read about ?

Post #402243 27th Aug 2016 4:01pm
mattstevenson2005

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Java Black

I can second the comments above you cannot run a Range Rover on a shoe string budget. You need to be prepared to spend a few thousand a year in maintenance and general servicing/repairs. I have had mine for 7 years and spent £12,000 in maintenance and up keep. And when I purchase it had already had another £12,000 spent on it. If you don't keep up with the upkeep it will soon look shabby and be worthless. They require tender love and care to keep them happy. I have a 2003 4.4 petrol which is literally like brand new and in a show room condition and I couldn't be happier with it and it will be a keeper and future classic but it does come at a price. I am the worlds biggest Range Rover fan and would encourage everyone to try/buy one but they really do come at a price. If you are prepared to dig deep to have one go for it and you will never turn back to another brand, but if you are expecting a few hundred here and there these vehicles arnt for you I'm afraid. Check out my website for a pre purchase check list www.myrangerover.co.uk and if you have any questions drop me a PM more than happy to offer advice to fellow owners!

Matt Current
2012 Range Rover 5.0L SC Ultimate Edition
2012 Range Rover 4.4L TDV8 Autobiography
2010 Range Rover 3.6L TDV8 Autobiography
2003 Range Rover 4.4L V8 Bespoke Vehicle

Inventor of the retro fit paddle shift and many other modifications.
Creator of the custom 2010+ RR MK4 splash screen.
Creator of the Range Rover CarPC and lots more!

Founder of Range Rover Owner
rangeroverowner.com | Facebook.com/RangeRoverOwner | Latest Videos âžž YouTube.com/RangeRoverOwner

Post #402266 27th Aug 2016 9:14pm
MrGaz

United Kingdom 

Right ok , I have no issues spending money , but what on earth is costing you 3k every year ??
Please can you give me some info , are you doing the work your self or is most of that 3k labour costs ?

I have 4 people I work with, all keeping there service history avrage there spending £650 a yr

I am more interested in the parts that are braking and going wrong. Not the basic service parts (tires , oil , filters , plugs , bulbs ) I can live with them costs every year with no problems

At 3k a yr I my mind I am buying a dog that is total rubbish ?

Post #402278 28th Aug 2016 6:26am
mattstevenson2005

£3,000 is at the top end I spend on a lot of preventive items but it only takes the gearbox to need refurbishing and a new torque converter and there the best part of £2,000 or a replacement transfer shift motor to fix the problem which is very common is almost £1,000 now. A suspention airbag is around £200 per corner

I do all the work my self and always buy genuine Land Rover parts from Dan at Duckworths. Just this month I have spent £55 on an oil change, £450 on replacing the gearbox cooling system parts with the possibility I need to spend a further £200-700 next month on finishing sorting an issue out with the torque converter lockup clutch again (which was only replaced 4 years ago at a cost of £1200)

If there only spending £650 on servicing/maintenance a year I would be worried that they could be neglecting to replace parts as often as they should be.

If you find a vehicle you are interested I would be willing to check it over with you if you are local.

Matt Current

rangeroverowner.com | Facebook.com/RangeRoverOwner | Latest Videos âžž YouTube.com/RangeRoverOwner

Post #402285 28th Aug 2016 8:06am
MrGaz

United Kingdom 

Shocked lmfao I now understand a little more. You are relplacing parts before they need to be replaced. Ocd comes to mind Wink no that's cool thanks for the info mate
That's the sort of stuff I need to know about

There's alway ways 3 types of the scale . People who spend silly amounts , people who spend next to sod all and the people who do what they have to .
So maybe I am safe to say will be be spending anywhere near 3k a yr

But good on you mate. To have 24k spent on a 13yr old car is just stupid in my eyes. Land Rover must be laughing there tots off

Anyone one else with a little happier story's lol

Post #402289 28th Aug 2016 8:43am
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

mattstevenson2005 wrote:
I do all the work my self and always buy genuine Land Rover parts from Dan at Duckworths. Just this month I have spent £55 on an oil change.

Matt

Matt, Curious to know what oil and filters you got for £55? John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #402292 28th Aug 2016 8:50am
mattstevenson2005

I get the genuine Land Rover filter from Dan (around £11) and I get 10L of Granville Hyperlube 5w/40 engine oil from my local motor factors for £40 (with a slight discount as I replace my engine oil every 6 months or 7000 miles)

Matt Current

Post #402299 28th Aug 2016 9:28am
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Thumbs Up John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #402315 28th Aug 2016 12:02pm
Rilla

Isle Of Man 2009 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Santorini Black

MrGaz wrote:

But good on you mate. To have 24k spent on a 13yr old car is just stupid in my eyes. Land Rover must be laughing there tots off

Anyone one else with a little happier story's lol

Just out of interest, have you previously owned a second hand car that would have had a £70k+ new price?. I have had a good few, and to be 100%, they all require this sort of up keep. I have had S class mercs, a whole bunch of top end audis (rs4, rs6) and a maseratti, and all of them cost a small fortune to keep maintained.

You have to remember, these sorts of cars were all £70k+ plus. Because you got second hand, and only paid £whatever for it, your still buying parts for a £70k+ car.

If the thought of these running costs dont sit that well with you, then I would hazard a guess that these type of cars are not for you either. I dont want to seem 'snobby' or anything like that, I just want to convey the fact that these sort of running costs are not exclusive to Range Rovers.

To answer your other question, apart from heating that only has medium well and well done as settings, mine is all ok, no complaints at all from me!. 2009 Westminster. Mariana black with ivory leather.

Post #402331 28th Aug 2016 3:49pm
MrGaz

United Kingdom 

No never owned a 70k+ before sadly .

I'am used to spending nothing at all as they Dident need it Wink civic at the moment I have a merc Vito camper van conversion.
I need something big but not a van . Hence wanting a RR .

I have been looking at parts that could go and so on and Dident think the prices where that much more than normal (fuel pump , shocks , compressor, service parts)

To be honest I am more surprised that a 70k has so many issues that are going wrong. I would have thought a RR would have superior parts to your normal family car that you could keep for £100 a year for 10 yrs

Post #402332 28th Aug 2016 3:58pm
Rangeyman

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

If you take your motor to a main dealer and want everything perfect it will cost you a small fortune and 3 grand a year could easily be spent but if you are good with a spanner and have a mate who is good with diagnostics and with as much help on this forum as you could get anywhere you you could run it for a fraction of that cost.

Post #402335 28th Aug 2016 4:37pm
MrGaz

United Kingdom 

No issues on the spanners at all . As I am a mechanical engineer in a steel works
I have 3 family members how own there own garages.

I have always loved the RR and always wanted one . So don't want to be put off . And I would be honest the 3k put me off a bit

I know things go wrong and happy to pay when there needed .

Post #402338 28th Aug 2016 4:54pm
Robert

France 2007 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

Might be wise to buy something a bit more recent and a little more expensive with a great service history and LOW owners.
RRs are not cheap cars, but they don't have to cost you 3K a year.
I have mine serviced every year or 10K mls and the only thing that gave up on me was the alternator. Mine has done 82K mls now, bought it with 60+K mls,was a one owner car with a FLRSH and has been under waranty untill I bought it. If maintanance and petrol costs put you off, don't buy one. Go for something that fits your budget not your dreams Thumbs Up

Post #402344 28th Aug 2016 6:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>