Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Finance, Insurance & Warranties > Admiral Black Box
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
DeRanged Rover

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE Td6 Java Black
Admiral Black Box

I've just had a call from my insurer (Admiral) asking if I'd like to install one of their black boxes (plug into the 12v charger and leave apparently) which gives me the opportunity to potentially reduce my premium by up to 20% next renewal.

Anyone else taken up this offer? Is it worth it? I am not too keen on any extra big brother policing in my life and this feels somewhat intrusive but if I don't take it up are they going to black mark me anyway on the basis that there must have been a reason for not wanting to take it up?

Cheers!

C African Bush Junkie ... in London!

Stats:
2006 TD6 Vogue SE
1972-2015 DeRanged Rover
2001 P38 dHSE (SOLD)

Post #406657 27th Sep 2016 4:58pm
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Given our recent experience with Admiral not only did we decline their offer of a black box but we will also be moving to a different company at renewal. We've had nothing but hassle with them and have no confidence they would behave well if we had to make a claim.

Post #406665 27th Sep 2016 5:52pm
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Strikes me that they might actually put premiums UP if your driving behaviour is deemed such that you're not driving to their considered standards.

I'd steer well clear! Thumbs Up Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #406672 27th Sep 2016 6:22pm
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

I'd be wary about letting anyone fiddle with electrics on your car given how temperamental they can be.

Post #406674 27th Sep 2016 6:34pm
V8Noise

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Carpathian Grey

I thought these were for 18 year old loop heads. 2017 5.0 Autobiography Supercharged
2005 Merc SL350
2017 Abarth 595 Comp 180 bhp
2005 Disco HSE 2.7 oil burner

Post #406675 27th Sep 2016 6:34pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

mzplcg wrote:
We've had nothing but hassle with them and have no confidence they would behave well if we had to make a claim.

I made a claim with them last year & have to say they were very good. However, they then doubled my premium at renewal time so I moved to Aviva.

I wouldn't be keen on a black box - but then again, I know how I drive Whistle

Post #406680 27th Sep 2016 6:53pm
Giantlandyman

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

There are far better insurance companies to deal with than Admiral. They were good for a multi-car policy with two cars, one my sons but as soon as we bought FF, they wanted huge amounts of money.

Direct Line was almost the cheapest and made no requirement for a tracking device either, something else Admiral insisted upon.

As for having any sort of telemetry or monitoring device, that's a firm nu-uh from me.

Post #406686 27th Sep 2016 7:16pm
Basilfawlty

England 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

The truth is Insurance Companies are only ever trying to increase their profit margins, so believe these biased and big brother initiatives at your peril. Next thing they'll be sharing information about your personal driving habits with others in the industry.

Post #406707 27th Sep 2016 9:03pm
mr_spock

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

If I understand correctly, these monitor things like acceleration, braking and cornering G. I wonder how this will work for an off-road vehicle.

Post #406710 27th Sep 2016 9:40pm
V8Noise

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Carpathian Grey

Giantlandyman wrote:
There are far better insurance companies to deal with than Admiral. They were good for a multi-car policy with two cars, one my sons but as soon as we bought FF, they wanted huge amounts of money.

Direct Line was almost the cheapest and made no requirement for a tracking device either, something else Admiral insisted upon.

As for having any sort of telemetry or monitoring device, that's a firm nu-uh from me.

There must be other issues at play here GLM. Admiral are consistently the cheapest for ours and have never insisted on a tracker. Mind you, SWMBO and I are both "ancient" and live in a sleepy Kent village where, if a gnome goes missing, it makes the front page of the Parish Council magazine. The car only does 3k miles a year which also makes a big difference.

Our premium for the current year on the S/c was just under £200 and includes Class A Business use. 2017 5.0 Autobiography Supercharged
2005 Merc SL350
2017 Abarth 595 Comp 180 bhp
2005 Disco HSE 2.7 oil burner

Post #406729 28th Sep 2016 4:07am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

The black box my 17yr old has fitted works well to keep her reined in BUT! Would i want one fitted!!! No way paidro!!

Post #406758 28th Sep 2016 10:14am
Giantlandyman

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

V8Noise wrote:

There must be other issues at play here GLM. Admiral are consistently the cheapest for ours and have never insisted on a tracker. Mind you, SWMBO and I are both "ancient" and live in a sleepy Kent village where, if a gnome goes missing, it makes the front page of the Parish Council magazine. The car only does 3k miles a year which also makes a big difference.

Our premium for the current year on the S/c was just under £200 and includes Class A Business use.

I agree. Stayed in the same house, I retired, I stopped using a car for business use, mileage reduced significantly (to comfortably less than 5,000 a year), never made a claim but we changed cars from a MB SL to the FF of the same value.....I can only think that particular company load the premium because of the car as all the other factors 'improved' as it were.

Post #406773 28th Sep 2016 11:08am
shalz

Kenya 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

i'd avoid the blackbox - i know someone that has it and they used every excuse under the sun not to give the full discount promised for "good behaviour" - one small speed infraction or a little bit of bad braking (it can't tell if done in an emergency or not) and it wipes out a lot of time spent on "good" driving

depending on your personal style of driving, i'd avoid - lots of comparison sites and opportunity to find cheaper insurance

depending on your second car, a classic car multi-policy may cover your FFRR.... MY11 Vogue 4.4 TDV8 - "African Queen"

Post #406776 28th Sep 2016 11:23am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1