Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Water ingress and trim removal - updated with pic
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Zain

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black
Water ingress and trim removal - updated with pic

After 2years of dry ownership I've now got the dreaded water ingress into the rear spare wheel well and all over the dsp amp. Luckily I've managed to save the amp by taking it apart and thoroughly drying it with a hair dryer and electrical contact cleaner. I think I've managed to locate the source of the leak but I just can't seem to work out how to take the cream felt trim off (the one on the C pillar, under the rear seat belt connecting point). Am reluctant to just force it off as worried I might set of the airbag that's located under it. The top end of the grey leather trim (see pic below) seems to be bolted onto this seat belt trim further up inside and I can't get a spanner to it let alone my fingers. Can anyone give me advice on how both trims are removed without chancing the airbag. Cheers

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by Zain on 24th Sep 2016 2:19pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #405572 20th Sep 2016 4:23pm
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

According to RAVE, you have to remove the upper trim, (remove sufficient aperture seal - rubber door seal). which is apparently clipped in This reveals two torx screws holding the lower trim in place. John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #405586 20th Sep 2016 4:58pm
Zain

Thanks for the quick reply John.......do you have the link to the rave section dealing with this? The problem is the very tight fit of this trim even with the door seal slightly peeled back.....cant get anything in there. Reluctant to be brutal because of the close proximity of the airbag.

Post #405596 20th Sep 2016 5:44pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

RAVE download links are in the wiki.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #405598 20th Sep 2016 5:47pm
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

You can disable the airbags to give you peace of mind.

"Making the system safe
Before working on or in the vicinity of SRS components, ensure the system is rendered safe by performing the following operations.
l Remove the ignition key
l Disconnect battery, earth lead first
l Wait 10 minutes for the SRS power circuit to
discharge before commencing work
The SRS uses energy reserve capacitors to keep the
system active in the event of electrical supply failure
under crash conditions. It is necessary to allow the
capacitors sufficient time to discharge (10 minutes)
in order to avoid the risk of accidental deployment." John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #405604 20th Sep 2016 6:57pm
Zain

Ah was kinda hoping to avoid disconnecting the battery......usually leads to electrical gremlins on re connection.

There's evidence of water on top of the seat belt reel inside the C pillar (under the trim). Slightly confused as to where the water ingress point is. Door seal on both door and body seem bone dry. Do the roof rack points have holes/bolts/ screws that go through to the underside of the roof skin?

Post #405726 21st Sep 2016 12:51pm
Zain

UPDATED with pic

Decided to take off the rear passenger seat belt trim with brute force.....bit of a struggle as it was a very tight fitment but 2 clips (at the top on the underside) just popped off, freeing up the trim. There were water droplets on top off the belt reel and the top of the seatbelt trim was also slightly damp. Logically the water must be entering from much higher up in the car. I then proceeded to test the sunroof drain holes. The FRONT drain holes were reasonably clear, as evidenced by the water dripping out of the other end underneath.... but with a quick spray of wd40 and some boiling hot water poured into the front drain hole it cleared the tube up even more. However on pouring water into the REAR passenger side sunroof drain hole no such luck, not even a drip beneath the car. Upon prising open the roof lining approximately halfway between the B & C pillar i could see the starting/connecting point of the black rubber drain tube. It was perfectly intact and not leaking. However the white plastic housing into which the rubber tube is connected to is leaking approx an inch further back - from a small square retaining clip - see pic below, it's the grubby small white plastic square to the left of the large plastic corner bracket

Click image to enlarge

The black drain tube is clear as when all connected up water does freely drain from the exit hole underneath the car - but water also drips heavily from this small square clip (causing water to travel towards the rear of the car , via top of the roof lining and exit beneath the seat belt trim and into the spare wheel area as well as exit beneath the D pillar trim and into amp/dvd/radio compartment)

Any idea how to fix the leak without taking the whole headlining and sunroof frame down?

Post #406123 24th Sep 2016 1:42am
Roverlord

England 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Zambezi Silver

what is the purpose of the square clip?

Post #406491 26th Sep 2016 3:06pm
Zain

Seems to be a push fit retaining clip; holding the large white corner bracket to the black metal sunroof frame.

Ive managed to get my fingers over the top of the rubber seal and have a feel around on the inner framework and corner bracket.. There is a slight indent/recess just prior to the white drain tube .....and this was full of crap (dirt/grime). Think this was causing the water to pool over from the drainage channel (and recess) into the white clip area. I've managed to get as much out as possible .....used a mix of diluted bleach and soda crystals in very hot water and repeatedly flushed the rear drain recess area & hole out. Now the water seems to drain away without pooling over outside of its drainage channel. Just need a torrent of rain now to see if the drainage channel in the sunroof frame is clear enough to clear the water without spilling over outside its intended route.

Post #406524 26th Sep 2016 6:00pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

"Just need a torrent of rain now to see if the drainage channel in the sunroof frame is clear enough to clear the water without spilling over outside its intended route."

So we're in for some sunny weather now Wink

Is a hose pipe not a better option? it can also be turned off in the event of a failed fix Rolling Eyes Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #406621 27th Sep 2016 11:46am
Zain

Unfortunately no access to a hose pipe im afraid. Have a emptied a few water bottles over the closed sunroof and it remains dry inside but i guess the true litmus test is a heavenly downpour.

Post #406627 27th Sep 2016 12:09pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Beg steal or borrow a watering can, failing that invest in one! for a kick off it will hold 10 litres and with the rose attached will emulate rain rather well.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/whitefurze-watering-can-10ltr/29585

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p64511?table=no

http://www.diy.com/departments/yellow-plas...158_BQ.prd Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #406721 28th Sep 2016 12:02am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1