Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > AJV8 Radiator Replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Cappo

2006 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black
AJV8 Radiator Replacement

Morning all. Does anyone know whether (a) there is a radiator replacement "how to" guide for the AJV8 engine, or (b) whether it's the same as the regular how-tos on here and on Youtube.

I don't know whether there is anything on the GTR Wiki pages - my login doesn't seem to work on there?

Thanks!

Last edited by Cappo on 27th Jul 2016 11:12am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #397886 27th Jul 2016 9:46am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

its in our wiki.... ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #397896 27th Jul 2016 10:46am
Cappo

I'm being dense here Stan, I really can't find it. Would you mind pointing me in the right direction please?

Post #397905 27th Jul 2016 11:13am
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic16155.html ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

Post #397908 27th Jul 2016 11:17am
Cappo

Ah yes, I had seen that one - but that's for the BMW V8? Is the rad & fan setup the same on the AJ?

Post #397914 27th Jul 2016 11:55am
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

you got me there ..i think the basics should be the same ...

have you looked in the WM? ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

Post #397917 27th Jul 2016 12:15pm
Cappo

Found the link, I'll try and download that later and check, thanks.

Post #397919 27th Jul 2016 12:25pm
jam220

United States 2007 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

same procedure i just did this. Summary: drain coolant, take off the fan and remove with the shroud (remove the bolt that bolts the trans cooler to the shroud), remove upper and lower radiator hoses, loosen the two plastic screw type things on the upper radiator support that hold the top of the radiator in place, remove radiator.

Post #397932 27th Jul 2016 3:24pm
Cappo

Been looking into this a bit more, as I'm going to have to do it next week I think. The general instructions and videos on the web are quite straightforward....however Rolling Eyes on the AJV8 model, there is an aircon pipe running across the top of the radiator shroud. I believe, although not positive, that it's the same on the SC? One side terminates into a flexi pipe but the other, going into the aircon rad, is solid.

So my questions is: is it still possible to get the fan & shroud out on this model with that aircon pipe in place? I don't want to have to split the aircon, not to mention the fact that it's (a) illegal and (b) messy to drain the aircon yourself.

I did see a thread about removing the slam panel to do this; not sure whether that's a good/possible/better option? Starting to think I should just bung it in somewhere and avoid the hassle!

Post #401643 23rd Aug 2016 9:08am
jam220

United States 2007 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

it is possible, that pipe do flex to a certain extent. Just work it and it will clear it

Post #401705 23rd Aug 2016 3:43pm
Cappo

Thanks, I shall check whether the spanner which I think I have is the right size, take a deep breath, and crack into it then!

Post #401718 23rd Aug 2016 4:25pm
Jupiterrover

United States 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

Cappo wrote:
Been looking into this a bit more, as I'm going to have to do it next week I think. The general instructions and videos on the web are quite straightforward....however Rolling Eyes on the AJV8 model, there is an aircon pipe running across the top of the radiator shroud. I believe, although not positive, that it's the same on the SC? One side terminates into a flexi pipe but the other, going into the aircon rad, is solid.

So my questions is: is it still possible to get the fan & shroud out on this model with that aircon pipe in place? I don't want to have to split the aircon, not to mention the fact that it's (a) illegal and (b) messy to drain the aircon yourself.

I did see a thread about removing the slam panel to do this; not sure whether that's a good/possible/better option? Starting to think I should just bung it in somewhere and avoid the hassle!

I have this same question for my 2006 L322 Supercharged. Replaced the radiator on my 2003 L322 (BMW) no problem but the 2006 looks more involved.

Post #406712 27th Sep 2016 10:48pm
Cappo

I've done it and it is possible! Really busy at the moment but I'll try and write it up shortly. I did it by removing the slam panel (which is easy). More to follow Thumbs Up

Post #406732 28th Sep 2016 6:47am
Cappo

Right, here you go:

I’m afraid I wasn’t very good at taking lots of pictures and making lots of notes whilst I was doing the job, so this is all from memory.

I tried to remove the fan to do the job by the book, but it wouldn’t respond to being whacked loose, and the home-made tool which someone listed on here doesn’t fit the AJ water pump (I did actually make it, but it was no good). So, it was either £100+ to buy the right tool, or find another way.

Someone on here has mentioned that they did it by removing the slam panel, so I set about that. The slam panel is easy to remove. Lots of bolts, but dead easy. Remove the grille first, undo the two big screws on top of each headlight, then take all the bolts out (there are lots, two large ones each side, then perhaps 8 more 10mm each side? If you’ve got an impact wrench you can rattle these off in a minute or two. Then the slam panel just lifts off. I don’t recall it being any more involved than that.

Then you can unclip the aircon pipe, and loosen off all around the fan shroud. Two push clips at the top, a torx screw down the nearside (I suspect there should be one on the offside too, but it wasn’t there on mine) and a pair of clips underneath, at the bottom of the shroud, in the middle. It’s much easier to get to the torx screw down the side if you pop the power steering reservoir out of it’s holder (assuming the SC is the same as the NA). After you have released all these, the shroud can be moved. You need to push it back towards the block as far as you can.

Remove the drain tap completely. After that, once the hoses are off you can slide the radiator up and out. I don’t think there is anything else to remove as far as I recall.

When you slide the rad up, the stub where the drain plug goes will collide with part of the shroud. You’ll wriggle and push and pull and you’ll think that there is no way it can get past there. But wriggle a bit more, try a few different pushes and pulls, and suddenly everything will align and there will be enough space. I think there was a similar, but much less, point of interference on the other side too. Must have been with the two hose stubs.

Remember that you’ll need the bonnet up in the access position otherwise you won’t have the height to get it out. It's a big Censored .

I also taped a couple of bits of thick cardboard over the two tabs on the top of the fan shroud, to stop them from grating on the fins.

I had to do the job twice, because the first rad I bought was of diabiolically bad quality, but the second time I did it, I had the rad out in about 20 mins, once I knew where everything was.

Any other queries, just shout!

Post #406745 28th Sep 2016 9:28am
fisha

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

Nice one. I'm just about to do the same job. I think I might take pics or video it and I'll put it up for a wiki post if wanted. V8 or else ...

Post #406772 28th Sep 2016 12:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>