Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Finance, Insurance & Warranties > Rear end bump. Insurance v private settlement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
sawm24

United Kingdom 
Rear end bump. Insurance v private settlement

I was turning right at some lights today and a lady driving a private hire cab ran into the back of me Censored

The bump was at low speed and no one was injured, the other driver wants to avoid going through insurance but I've notified my company and told them I'll come back to them if I need help.

About 12 years ago someone rear ended a jag x type I had, again the damage looked minor but direct lines garage uncovered a lot of hidden issues such as dampers etc which made the job much bigger than first thought.

I'm in a dilemma now as to whether to just let the insurance company sort it, get looked after in terms of getting a hire car and not having the hassle of collecting payments, finding a garage etc or be a nice guy and help the taxi driver and her husband protect their insurance premium Question

Here's a photo of my damage 2010 4.4 tdv8 - black / ivory
Previous bmw 730d, rrs 2.7 se.

Post #409404 15th Oct 2016 2:40pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Insurance is a weird thing - it could affect your premiums even if you are not at fault...... statistically you're moe likely to be involved in another accident etc.

Having already informed them, you will now have to tick the box for any accidents in the last 3/5 years anyhow.

I'm guessing that if they re offering, they are looking at a few hundred quid & no hire car......

Post #409409 15th Oct 2016 2:49pm
sawm24

United Kingdom 

It's made me really paranoid about all the lines around the bumper area now, the mudflap over the wheel on that side looks further away from the car body now but for all I know it could have been like that before! 2010 4.4 tdv8 - black / ivory

Post #409411 15th Oct 2016 2:54pm
LROMAD

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I would get an estimate, to fix the damage, at a reputable/trusted body shop .They should highlight all the damage.Obviously it's up to you,to then decide which way to go . Some minor accident damage can end up being costly . Even with protected no claims and the other party admitting full responsibility,your insurance premium may increase. Quite unfair, but I speak from experience Big Cry

Post #409416 15th Oct 2016 3:36pm
V8Noise

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Carpathian Grey

Also remember that what looks like not a lot of damage to the cab driver at first could end up having them running for cover when the estimate is presented.

I'd always go through insurance. You should be able to deal direct with the 3rd parties insurance. Saves your ncb and excess on your own policy.

Good luck. 2017 5.0 Autobiography Supercharged
2005 Merc SL350
2017 Abarth 595 Comp 180 bhp
2005 Disco HSE 2.7 oil burner

Post #409420 15th Oct 2016 4:39pm
chris_read

England 2009 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

My car was rear ended a few weeks ago (SWMBO driving, not me). The bumper didn't look too bad but after three calls from the other party's insurer I agreed to have it fixed. No cost to me, other party admitted all blame.
Result:new rear bumper, all done in two days. And now I don't get annoyed with myself for breaking the clips on each side when I removed the bumper to fit the tow bar armature......
The whole experience has tempted me to use Hastings (the other party's insurer) next time my insurance is due; they were extremely efficient.

Post #409466 16th Oct 2016 8:04am
Rangeyman

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

You either tell your insurance or not,do not tell them then decide not to claim,your insurance will still go up .Sadly if you went to the doctor with a stiff neck and put in a claim you will get the 3 grand whiplash no matter how slow they hit you .it is cheaper for them to pay out than contest in court !

Post #409483 16th Oct 2016 10:29am
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE 5.0 SC V8 Havana

I once had so much trouble being nice to a teacher in my sons school - she ran into my car and asked the same thing not involving the insurance - then she changed her mind and claimed she did nothing - next thing i was taken to court for attempting insurance fraud (i won that) - second one was the civil court for getting my money - i won again (245.-- Euros) the whole thing was a 2 years headache...

Since then i call the police even over minor scratches ! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil All my spelling errorz are belong to me!

2023 FFRR L460
2020 Range Rover Velar

Post #409485 16th Oct 2016 10:41am
Landphil

United Kingdom 

You have answered your own question - you have already involved your insurance co by telling them. You should now let them sort it out. Promises made by third parties at the scene can unravel very quickly. As she rear-ended you she should be found to be at fault and her insurance pay up, including your excess. You should get a no fault accident filed on your insurance record. Either way you will have to declare it next year when you renew if you change your insurance company. If you don't your insurance could be deemed to be invalid. Play safe, I speak from personal experience.

Post #409487 16th Oct 2016 10:50am
martinf

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Santorini Black

I had some damage to my L322 and initially involved my insurance company, the NFU, but when it was repaired I decided to settle the bill myself and they agreed that in the circumstances my premium would be unaffected. So I think it varies depending on who you are insured with. In my case the damage was self inflicted so no third party to worry about.

Post #409500 16th Oct 2016 11:48am
Terrier

Through the insurance sir, every time. The third party can actually meet the cost of the repair directly and therefore avoid a claim on their policy - that's up to them.

You shall also need a replacement motor when yours is in for repair and this should be consistent with the FFRR. I had a non fault (hit whilst parked - I sourced the CCTV to find her details) and got one of those new Volvo xc90's for a few days.

Good luck and post any further questions you have.

Post #409549 16th Oct 2016 5:16pm
Rob99

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

I agree with a number of previous comments on this.

You did the right thing telling your insurers but the person who hit you also has to tell their own insurers as it will be a condition of their insurance policy. If they are trying to avoid that then it could be construed as insurance fraud because you can bet that at renewal time they won't declare the accident.

You should deal direct with their insurers unless they become awkward and then you may have to involve your own insurer in the issue. In my personal experience if you're always up front with your insurer then they will be far more on your side.

My last thought.......would the other party have been so reasonable if you had hit them and they potentially were not going to be able to work as a private hirer for at least a few days......bet you they wouldn't.

Good luck and remember, none of this was your fault so you shouldn't be put out in any way. 2017 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography
2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster - Gone, but not forgotten

Post #409576 16th Oct 2016 9:40pm
RR2008HSE

Canada 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

Agree with all the above. I don't see any advantage to you to doing it privately and there are potential pitfalls.

At the VERY LEAST, you're looking at getting the bumper repainted. That's a good few hundred ££ for proper, professional work. The private offer may disappear once the bill is totalled.

Post #410434 23rd Oct 2016 7:30pm
sawm24

United Kingdom 

Quick update to an old thread!!

I want through my insurance and got my repair done quickly and to my satisfaction.

The other party didn't report that they had been in an accident to their insurance but once my side sent over the bill for the repairs they claimed that I reversed into them and said that they wanted me to pay for damage to their car!!

I've left it in the hands of the insurance firms to sort, the last update was that the other party had made a goodwill offer of part payment without accepting liability so they are making some progress. 2010 4.4 tdv8 - black / ivory

Post #422383 12th Jan 2017 1:17pm
verydisco

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Tangiers Orange

Well, justing reading your update above when I was about to tell you to go through insurance 100%! See why now? ... ha, people.... l=Oo\________/oO=l l:OolΞΞΞΞΞΞΞloO:l

Current
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L SDV8 - 2013 - Indus Silver, on Almond.
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L V8 - 2002 - ex-2003 G4 Challenge Event Vehicle, Stage 3: Australia
RANGE ROVER HSE 4.4L V8 - 2004 - one-of-one Overfinch
RANGE ROVER P38a 4.0L V8 - 1999 - ex-2000 TReK Event Vehicle: South Africa

Previous:
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L TDV8 - 2012 - RANGE ROVER 3.6L TDV8 x3 - RANGE ROVER Td6 x1 - RANGE ROVER Classic 3.5L V8 x1

Post #422385 12th Jan 2017 1:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>