Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Indy service Vs Main Dealer...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
nemesisdazza

England 2012 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black
Indy service Vs Main Dealer...

What are people's thoughts on impact on future resale value or perceptions around using an independa garage for servicing etc??

I ask as my dad owns his own and has always done all my cars.

My 2012 SC Vogue Autobiography that I bought last June is now asking for a service tho I've no idea what it'll be, guess I wont know till my dad plugs his diagnostic's in???

Thoughts appreciated...

Thx

Post #414885 23rd Nov 2016 8:21am
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Depends how long you're keeping it for.

IMHO most people only really expect main dealer for the first 3 years

My L405 is in my local Indy right now having a 60k service and it's still under LR warranty for another 6 months.

That said - I intend to keep it for another 3+ years and put another 60k miles on it and by that point I don't think people care / expect a MD history.

Post #414889 23rd Nov 2016 9:20am
nemesisdazza

England 2012 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Okay thanks for the feedback

Post #414892 23rd Nov 2016 9:48am
billsmith737

England 2009 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

for what my two penerth is worth Shocked ...im a maintenace engineer with 30 years on the tools, ive always done my own motors but now its just too complicated....but id rather use a "good" indy than a dealer for one reason. At the dealer your paying through the nose for a guy on no where near the hourly rate your paying, to do a job that its quite possible he considers getting clocked out on time maybe a little more on his mind that following the book to the letter, if something goes wrong ive never known a dealer fess up, simply come up with another fix for which your wallet gets lighter! if you have a good indy, and ive found mine to be very acommodating with working over to finish the job that evening and free code reads Etc, there is a more personal arrangment, they invite you into the workshop to prove that what they say their doing they actually are doing, they bring the failed parts out to show you (ive caught a dealer out showing me a failed part that i knew dam well was not from my car!) and the indy's are (in my case) genuine enthusiasts that love the green oval, reputations are hard won and easy lost and i think an indy has to go the extra mile to show their worth but as i said the key word is " GOOD"....im lucky, i know when someone is blowing sunshine up my butt, and turning up in my overalls covered in grease and oil generally gives the hint not to take to pee Laughing

Post #419103 21st Dec 2016 9:57pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

As long as you can show your Indy is using genuine parts then you wont have a problem.. not even with LR if you have to do a warranty claim Thumbs Up So get the book stamped and keep the receipts and all should be good Wink Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #419113 22nd Dec 2016 2:26am
Webbie

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

As long as it is serviced by a reputable independent with full receipts and parts shown it will have no significant affect on the value of your car. As you don't know which service is due I am assuming you don't have a full history in your hands for the past work. You will save hundreds of pounds on each service with an independent, so can't see how you will lose out by this route. But if you want to pay for the "free" service wash and loan of 16/66 plate car.......go main dealer.

Post #419124 22nd Dec 2016 8:19am
Zebedee

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Santorini Black

I agree it all depends on how long you'll keep the car. Selling a car that's over 4 or 5 years old makes little difference.

Besides, I'd value a regular servicing at an indie over main dealer anyway. I see too many service books with huge intervals from cars serviced by main dealers i.e. first service 16k, second service 34k. I'd prefer to see a file of receipts for little issues being fixed and regular and frequent oil changes (i.e. annually, whether or not it got to the service interval) as it shows the owner cared for the car. Current:
- 2013 L405 4.4 TDV8 Vogue
Sold:
- 2004 L322 4.4 Vogue (BRC LPG)
- 2002 L322 4.4 HSE (having fixed timing chain guides)
- 2000 P38 4.6 Vogue (BRC LPG)
- 1981 2-door In-Vogue
- 1980 Ex-Army SIII LWB
- 1976 SIII LWB
- 1968 SIIA
Stripped for parts:
- 2003 L322 4.4 Vogue

Post #419197 22nd Dec 2016 6:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1