Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > L405 woes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey
L405 woes

So, bought my 2014 VSE a few months back and it's back at the dealer again. 4th time for the same damn fault which has never been rectified despite a huge amount of replacement parts.

The 2 issues are a pull to the left, kind of easy to fix really, and a knock on the front suspension which is proving hard to diagnose.

I've had all the usual "We can't reproduce the fault Sir" so I took the dealer's master tech out in it and within a mile or so had clearly reproduced the knock. In fairness to them the roads around the dealership are all in good condition unlike the crap I have to drive on in Warwickshire. The dealer has actually been very good about it but my gripe is that cars costing this much really shouldn't be knocking and rattling at such a tender age/mileage.

So, despite having had a complete ARC system, front shocks and several other bits it's back in for the factory to come and look at now. Sure they have lent me a new Vogue which is a very nice car, but I'm generally fooked off with the LR experience at the moment. Seriously considering changing to something Germanic, well actually, anything which is built half properly. Even this brand new Vogue pulls to the left a bit and the steering wheel is cocked off to the right a bit. Solihull ought to damn well calibrate their WAHA station (Wheel alignment Headlamp aim).

For a vehicle which is supposedly built to be capable of handling unmade roads, and with 40k miles on the clock this thing looks decidedly fragile. God I wish I still had my L322, it was much less trouble. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, if they don't fix it this time it will be time for the "Refund" conversation and then I'll go buy something better put together. That would be the first time in over 20 years we haven't had a LR product on the drive if that's the way it goes. Very sad really and I genuinely hope it gets fixed, but I'm up to the back teeth with the entire LR ownership farce right now.

Thinking through the list it would be:
2 Defenders
1 Discovery 1
1 Discovery 2
2 Discovery 3's
2 RR Classics
1 RR P38
4 RR L322's
1 RR L405

Anyone who can live with a Defender is not exactly picky, but neither of my 2 knocked the way this thing does, nor did they pull to the left all the damn time.

Rant over. Thumbs Up

Post #417642 12th Dec 2016 7:54pm
Doodle

United Kingdom 

There have been problems with failed anti-roll bar bushes I am told. Mine are being replaced after 14k miles. Replicated knock with Tech. guy onboard. Will report back when job completed.

The knock is similar the ARC block failure. The problem may well return as I guess the bushes will be like-for-like rubber. Why not urethane which has a better performance?

If this is a well known problem with LR, why not upgrade the component and eliminate the issue?

Ask your dealer about this, as it may be something they overlooked.

I agree that the L405 does disappoint in some respects, which does not reflect in the in the high showroom prices.

Post #417699 13th Dec 2016 9:26am
mzplcg

I had presumed that the ARC system (a snip at Ł1800) included the anti roll bar and various other hydraulic bits. If replacing the ARB I had again thought it would come with new bushes. 2 large assumptions where LR are concerned I guess.

Trying to find an exploded diagram of the parts for it but not having much success at present. I can find the non-ARC one which is a standard ARB but the Active Roll Control has more parts including a hydraulic pump etc.

Post #417705 13th Dec 2016 10:59am
Doodle

United Kingdom 

My first 405 was Jan 2014. It is possible that the valve block for the ARC was not replaced with the updated twin dampers version.
The 'dodgy' knocking valve block on mine was replaced around August 2014.

I think this is the 'pump' you refer to. If so, ask the dealer to make sure that this modified unit was installed with the twin damper version from new, or if not when the update was carried out. This can be inspected at the dealer's.

There are threads on this if you search Knocking or ARC.

Some have reported that 402's continued in production from June 2014 with the old valve block. Demand for the update was high at this time. At least it's one aspect you can eliminate if it is ok. Thumbs Up

Post #417773 13th Dec 2016 7:31pm
Aeroresh

2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Nara Bronze

I had the pull to the left thing even after re-alignment. This was also after changing the arc bar and front shocks.

Sorted with a change of tyres as the old ones had worn excessively on the shoulders '14.5 SDV8 Nara Bronze for sale
'17 BMW 740e Msport Individual on order
'17 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT 6.4 Hemi on order
'16 Bentley Continental GT V8S Mulliner Driving Spec
'07 Alfa 159 3.2 Q4
'05 Mini Cooper R50
'95 Volvo 850R modified to 400hp
'89 Jaguar TWR ed XJ-S V12 Convertible

Post #417805 13th Dec 2016 9:56pm
mzplcg

Well that was a good call Doodle. Valve block replaced, peace and quiet resumed. Thumbs Up

Got it back today after the dealer did a 4 wheel alignment. Not massively out but some minor adjustments have cured the pulling to the left.

All good and a happy bunny again.

Post #420238 30th Dec 2016 7:04pm
Doodle

United Kingdom 

Good news that knocking fixed and 4 wheel alinement worked. Now you can fully appreciate your 405 Thumbs Up.

The pre-Christmas replacement of the anti-roll bar bushes also worked for mine and no more knocking there either Very Happy .

So Happy New year all round it seems. Enjoy.

Post #420480 31st Dec 2016 8:14pm
Wo ping

my 405 had the ARB work done months and its still clunking and thunking. really annoying. its been in 4 times in a year but i still love the car.

only happen going over small choppy bumps / speed bumps / drains etc.

what else could it be?

4.4. VSE with only 30k on it.

any thoughts?

cheers

Wo

Post #421598 7th Jan 2017 1:23pm
mzplcg

Has yours had the ARC valve block replaced? That's what cured mine.

Post #421620 7th Jan 2017 3:14pm
Wo ping

hi, yes it has but its not fixed it !

Post #421627 7th Jan 2017 4:03pm
Doodle

United Kingdom 

Then ask them to check the ARB bushes. The 'knocking' as they gradually fail, is very similar and as loud as the valve block issue.

The failed bushes issue is not uncommon and is not necessarily mileage related. Mine were replaced in December (2016).

Post #421638 7th Jan 2017 5:02pm
cass

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Causeway Grey

Have you spoken directly with the warranty provider to challenge to decision to not cover it?
I ask as I have found in the past that JLR franchises have refused claims without even passing them to warranty company.
It’s worth a phone call

Post #520668 4th Jul 2019 5:39pm
jim4244

England 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

If it is of any conciliation my last 3 L494’s, which were all brand new, all pulled to the left from the first day of ownership. Each time I returned them and asked for them to be 4 wheel aligned on a Hunter system or similar free of charge. After alignment they all drove as they should have.

It was suggested to me that it was possible that even though my cars were right hand drive the wheel alignment at the factory could have set the car up as if it was a left hand drive vehicle. It sounded like a pretty weak excuse to me?

Jim

Post #520684 5th Jul 2019 4:59am
cass

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Causeway Grey

Johnboy
It’s well worth chasing, I can’t remember the details of both of my claims but in one case it involved a few phone calls back and forwards as the warranty company said my description of the problem was different to the dealers descriptions and the other time the dealer hadn’t even made a claim.
In both cases I didn’t pay for the repair.
Good luck

Post #520701 5th Jul 2019 8:17am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1