Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > My Range Rover > Murdered out TD6 from New Zealand - Something different...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

holidaychicken wrote:
yours is looking great, they really are a rewarding car to keep clean.
I tried opening an old broken indicator and i dont think they are glued together but more like plastic welded.

I then tried some vinyl wrap and cutting out the two round light areas and that was just crap.

The way i have done these which does require some bravery was to thoroughly clean the lense and then key up the surface using a very fine scotchbrite pad, grey, using straight strokes rather than swirls and the clean again.
This will leave the light with a frosted glass look.

I then masked off the area around the lights, i went just outside the chrome surround for each light. i have done a fair amount of spraying so i am fairly used to stretching the masking tape in a single contour. use a decent automotive fine lining tape used for layering paint as too much glue is not good.

I then painted the surrounding area with a java black base coat taking care to not apply too much paint as i didn't want a big step.

I left that to dry off for about an hour, too long and the lacquer wont stick and too short and the paint may lift with the masking tape. another reason to keep the base coat paint light where it meets the tape.

I then applied about 5 coats of 2k lacquer to build up the surface, this is when the frosted glass look should disappear.

When that was completely dry, the following day if necessary but i gave mine a bit of heat from a hot air gun and did it later that day but keep in mind 2k (2 Pack) lacquer has its own hardener so its workable quicker than standard lacquer.

I then wet flatted using Abralon pads which are like a foam backed abrasive which bend with the contours although a well soaked wet / dry paper would be ok.

I started with 1000 grit, then 2000 and then 4000 which only takes a matter of minutes between the lighter grits.
I then polished wet using a mini 3" polishing machine and G3 rubbing compound followed by G10 and then finally a wax polish.
I was really dubious about painting on the outside but i think it looks good.
i have also taken delivery of the same halos you used as well so just got to get around to fitting then and blacking out the rest of the lights and grille.

few pics below better light, if you look closely in the first pic you can see my reflection showing how shiny it is.

i think they should be ok long term, but give me a few months and i'll tell you.

If you have an old lense to practice on it would be ideal, i bought a broken one off ebay for a few quid.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

[/img]

Bow down Bow down Bow down Love the bravery sir Thumbs Up

A quick question if i may? Do you have an iPhone? Do you understand what i mean by the apps floating on the screen when you move the iPhone around? If you do? Do you not get that effect when looking at your front indicators from a variety of angles sir?

Post #351803 12th Oct 2015 9:52am
holidaychicken

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

hi, Thanks for the interest, i have bravery and stupidity in equal measures so generally my projects have a 50 / 50 chance of success but i am happy with this bit so far mainly thanks to the OP.

i do have an iphone 6 that I used to take these pics but not sure what you mean about the apps floating on the screen.
If you mean that where i have painted on the outside lense and there being a gap between that and the silver backing of the internal lense, i think it's worked really well. i did have the fear of being able to see past the paint on the outside but i think it's ok, but see what you think of the attached pics. didnt have the halos on but you get the idea Rolling Eyes

I have also included some pics from the side.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #351842 12th Oct 2015 2:11pm
verydisco

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Tangiers Orange

Thanks for the 3/4 fronts. Wink

Time to get rid of the amber indicator lens and the side repeater Thumbs Up

l=Oo\________/oO=l l:OolΞΞΞΞΞΞΞloO:l

Current
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L SDV8 - 2013 - Indus Silver, on Almond.
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L V8 - 2002 - ex-2003 G4 Challenge Event Vehicle, Stage 3: Australia
RANGE ROVER HSE 4.4L V8 - 2004 - one-of-one Overfinch
RANGE ROVER P38a 4.0L V8 - 1999 - ex-2000 TReK Event Vehicle: South Africa

Previous:
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L TDV8 - 2012 - RANGE ROVER 3.6L TDV8 x3 - RANGE ROVER Td6 x1 - RANGE ROVER Classic 3.5L V8 x1

Post #351860 12th Oct 2015 4:14pm
holidaychicken

Thats ok, I thought that was what you meant Smile

Have you photoshopped me ??

That does look good, i looked at it a couple of times and thought that looks different, although i don't mind a bit of extra colour

Post #351877 12th Oct 2015 5:44pm
andy.cliff

New Zealand 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Buckingham Blue
New tails! Well, kind of...

Hi all. I hope all is well in the full fat land. Happy new year!
It has been quite some time since I posted, so it's about time I gave you something to look at!

Since my last post, not a whole lot have developed with the range. Some time ago the alternator gave up and had me stressing it was something more. $200 nzd later and a brand new unit was in. Problem solved and it has been great since!

While the range has been great, I was still not satisfied with the look of the rear of the wagon and also the silver indicators.
From here, I looked to (wait for it) Dremel open the tail lights and paint the inner shrouds black to suit.
I got the lights off the wagon and got stuck in. 2 hours in and all going well, I had one lenses off without a hitch. The 2nd lease was coming off as the first did, until I went to lift it off. Stupidly I ate dinner 90% of the way through the job and went back to it forgetting to cut about 4 cm on one side. I go to lift it and boom, the lenses shatters along with my soul Big Cry Embarassed

Frantically searching online I found a couple of options as replacements. A. Pay big money for a stock 03/05 replacement and open it to paint. B. Look at what other newer/aftermarket options are available. C. Purchase a single second hand light from a wreck simply for the lense.

After a bit of searching the aftermarket option was out the window. The lense option wasn't really viable and I managed to track down some 05-09 tail lights from a wreck that were in sound but sore knick.

The lense had a water level mark inside from where the insurance write off had found the salt water (tide mark - don't ask..).
The electronics in the back were fried from the salt water and to top it off, condensation was inside. Although they sound Censored , I saw the potential for experimentation and a future upgrade! Thumbs Up

$150 later, I had them in my paws. Seems a little steep for trash, but at the time I didn't know the wiring was wrecked. Ah well!

So, here they are:

Click image to enlarge

Pretty nice huh? Shocked

Because I wanted to make sure I only did this once (again) I had a thought about trying a different method to open these.
There had to be another way! The dremel experiment worked well but was time consuming, produced less than desirable results and was extremely difficult to achieve.

Given the materials used in the tail lights I looked to heat. As the plastic at the rear of the body was quite soft, it would be easy to 'cut' through with heat rather than a disc.

A hot blade came to mind, but would be too hard to work with. Plastic welding is something I have done in the past so a soldering iron was the next option.

I got out my old spare hobby iron and had a play on my old broken tail light (RIP).

After experimenting with the cutting areas I found a way to seperate the front and rear cases without being visible when mounted. The idea is reasonable simple but technically difficult I suppose.

I used the hot iron as a knife and cut through the plastic holding the two sides. From here, some small hunts were removed to enable me to push the reflector shrouds away from the rear of the light.
Once this process has been done and the cleaning/painting had been done, you are ready to do those steps in reverse to seal the tail light again.

I switched the iron tip to a wide version and used it to 'stitch' the cut back together. Although the seams wasn't too tidy on first look, I jbwelded if necessary and sanded the seams to tidy the end result. If you were fussy and wished to make the job look original, you could resorts the rear outer plastic a new grey to make it look like new.

Now that I knew my experiment could/should work, I got started on the 05+ tails.

Are you ready for this?

Check out the result Thumbs Up

Before:

Click image to enlarge

After:

Click image to enlarge

Cool

After searching so long and hard for a solution to removing the tail light lense, I'm wrapped with the result!

I believe I am the first to document a process as to how to achieve this, so I will create a DIY guide for the forum as this can also be applied to any other model of Range Rover (or other vehicle for that matter).

Now onto the indicators!

--

holidaychicken wrote:
Phase 2 complete, I have blatantly copied your idea with the Morimoto switchback halos I'm afraid and i have been meaning to try and darken down the silver front end and hide some of its square corners for a while now.
I am really pleased with it, still needs a bit of tidying as had to rush a few bits and the lights are really easy to take apart - when you know how....
Anyway, thanks for the inspiration, wheels and side vents next, then the design pack rear bumper that's sitting in my garage

Looking good chicken! Looks rather familiar Thumbs Up
Hey no worries at all. I'm a firm believer of helping others when it comes to forums, so I'm happy to hear I could be a apart of your build!

I might have to trademark the switchback halo/blacked out headlights idea though...I know of 4 people now with the same front end as mine! Laughing I shall call it the kiwiconversion! Laughing

At least I can still claim to be the OG when it comes to the new tails and opened indicators! Haha Kiwi lad - Range Rover TD6 L322
Murdered out crew

Dual switchback halo's
20x9.5 TSW's
More to come...

Post #421244 5th Jan 2017 2:09pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Nice job, they look great, used the same method on my old reversing lights.... My gas, soldering and wood burning kit, came with a very thin blade which cuts with much less width than your cuts, they are excellent for dismantling lights as easier to make good Thumbs Up

Example pic

Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #421315 5th Jan 2017 7:43pm
holidaychicken

Re: New tails! Well, kind of...

andy.cliff wrote:
Hey no worries at all. I'm a firm believer of helping others when it comes to forums, so I'm happy to hear I could be a apart of your build!

I might have to trademark the switchback halo/blacked out headlights idea though...I know of 4 people now with the same front end as mine! Laughing I shall call it the kiwiconversion! Laughing

At least I can still claim to be the OG when it comes to the new tails and opened indicators! Haha

Looking good mate, really makes a difference, I need to post an update of my rear end Shocked as the design pack rear bumper is on, the quad exhausts i made have been on and off again and my rear lenses i applied a light smoke wrap to calm then down a bit and was quick and easy but i am just n the process of determining if my headgasket(s) have gone .... Big Cry

Post #421324 5th Jan 2017 8:44pm
andy.cliff

Haylands wrote:
Nice job, they look great, used the same method on my old reversing lights.... My gas, soldering and wood burning kit, came with a very thin blade which cuts with much less width than your cuts, they are excellent for dismantling lights as easier to make good Thumbs Up

Example pic

Thanks Haylands! Thumbs Up

That's what I need to invest in! Thanks for the heads up. I was looking at making something similar but managed to get the wider tip to work the way I needed it to Wink Kiwi lad - Range Rover TD6 L322
Murdered out crew

Dual switchback halo's
20x9.5 TSW's
More to come...

Post #421362 6th Jan 2017 3:44am
andy.cliff

Re: New tails! Well, kind of...

holidaychicken wrote:
andy.cliff wrote:

At least I can still claim to be the OG when it comes to the new tails and opened indicators! Haha

Looking good mate, really makes a difference, I need to post an update of my rear end Shocked as the design pack rear bumper is on, the quad exhausts i made have been on and off again and my rear lenses i applied a light smoke wrap to calm then down a bit and was quick and easy but i am just n the process of determining if my headgasket(s) have gone .... Big Cry

Cheers Chicken! Thumbs Up

It really does, doesn't it! It's amazing to see the difference you can make with a change of colour and styling.
Oh awesome, I'll keep an eye out for when you post up an update.

I have some precut tints here that I need to chuck on to give it the full black out look. The indicators and side markers are being done as we speak, so my project is almost done.

Just in time to put the old girl up for sale Big Cry

Ahhhhhh blown head gasket?! Good luck mate!!! Kiwi lad - Range Rover TD6 L322
Murdered out crew

Dual switchback halo's
20x9.5 TSW's
More to come...

Post #421363 6th Jan 2017 3:50am
verydisco

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Tangiers Orange

Hey Andy, you are going to love this I am sure :

?t=6m32s

?t=1m15s

Wink l=Oo\________/oO=l l:OolΞΞΞΞΞΞΞloO:l

Current
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L SDV8 - 2013 - Indus Silver, on Almond.
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L V8 - 2002 - ex-2003 G4 Challenge Event Vehicle, Stage 3: Australia
RANGE ROVER HSE 4.4L V8 - 2004 - one-of-one Overfinch
RANGE ROVER P38a 4.0L V8 - 1999 - ex-2000 TReK Event Vehicle: South Africa

Previous:
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L TDV8 - 2012 - RANGE ROVER 3.6L TDV8 x3 - RANGE ROVER Td6 x1 - RANGE ROVER Classic 3.5L V8 x1

Post #421648 7th Jan 2017 7:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123