Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > from porsche to range
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
miles2k6

United Kingdom 
from porsche to range

Hi guys I need some advice please. i currently drive a porsche and im looking to get a rr. i will have about 10k to spend so not too much but i think i can get a fairly decent car for this amount.

I'm not bothered about fuel consumption, mines ridiculous at the moment anyway.

which model am I better off getting taking into consideration that i want to avoid the 'most common fault' cars.

any help greatly appreciated

cheers guys!
miles

Post #421413 6th Jan 2017 1:02pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

There's a buyers guide in the Wiki (top right under the fullfatrr.com banner) which is a good start.

There's a couple in the For Sale section in your price range Thumbs Up

History is important - it's easy to buy a money pit.

Post #421436 6th Jan 2017 2:33pm
Markjohns1

United Kingdom 

Previously had a cayenne and loved it,sold due to financial reasons at the time and since had two fullfats,present one 4.2 sc,O7 year.
A very different car from the cayenne and overall my experience with the Porsche was alot more favorable. However searching for a ff my experience and research favoured petrol v8,mpg not important,toys comfort,ride,and performance were .The Sc came with touch screen,blue tooth ect which will cost alot to upgrade later
Only do 6k a year in the thing and the 4.2 petrols seem to get the thumbs up from forum members as being pretty reliable,no major engine issuies. i wanted the later interior dispite hitting the higher road fund licence .Dont let high mileage put you off if sourced from an enthusiast /keen owner or some thing with a lot of paper work .If you can find a fullfat member selling you may not do better,,good luck with the search let us know how you get on,These cars dont tend to fly off the forecourt in my experience so drive a few ,ask for opinions from forum members who i have always found to honest and informative with their opinions Full fat 4.2 Sc
Full fat vogue 4.4 petrol
Jaguar XJR super charged
Porsche cayenne
Tvr tuscan mk1
Bmw mini cooper

Post #421480 6th Jan 2017 5:41pm
andyleeds

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

mark, so did you find the cayenne better? if so in what ways?

Post #421550 7th Jan 2017 8:52am
miles2k6

United Kingdom 

Markjohns1 wrote:
Previously had a cayenne and loved it,sold due to financial reasons at the time and since had two fullfats,present one 4.2 sc,O7 year.............................

thanks ever so much mate. do you mind me asking how much u paid for your 07? yeah im not too bothered about mpg i just love the look of ranges and the comfort etc. im just worried about any major issues such as chain guides or something. as with my porsche i had all the ims bearing upgrade done at quite a huge cost and obviously want to avoid any of this with a rr.

Post #421636 7th Jan 2017 4:59pm
Markjohns1

United Kingdom 

Paid £ 11500, just done 10000 miles,car looked in fair condition and previous owner sold it to me as he had genuine reason for sale and was open and honest,seemed genuine.The car had a few faults some i hadnt picked up on until several weeks into ownership.mainly slight paint bubbles around rear wheel arches and bottom lip of tail gate,However the car looked honest and genuine.
In response to your question about the cayenne.it was a 2004 S, and i personally found the build quality inside and out infinitely better,just my opinion ,I like to ensure my cars are perfect and both the cayenne and SC have had money spent on them in the hope of providing trouble free enjoyable motoring.
The sc since my ownership in April has had.
Tailgate and wheel arches resprayed.
New rear brake pads,prev owner had informed me they were due for replacement.
Rear brake disc.
Full service.
Gear box fluids replaced.
2 latitude sport tyres,
Body work detailed,as black swirl marks in paint work drove me mad.
Aircon serviced /regassed.
The secret is to find a good indie unless you can do it yourself,which i cant.
Prob spent close to £3000 but the car has been gone over with a fine tooth comb and shouldnt need money spending on it for a few years. Full fat 4.2 Sc
Jaguar XJR super charged
Porsche cayenne
Tvr tuscan mk1
Bmw mini cooper

Post #421805 8th Jan 2017 8:33pm
Markjohns1

United Kingdom 

The 3k also included wheels refurbed and a ball joint replaced.
The cayenne dispite not being a turbo didnt appear to do any more mpg than my current Sc,although i found it more comfortable and enjoyable to drive,(personal opinion).before the Sc i briefly had a 04 vogue but it lacked touch screen,blue tooth and the likes,upgrading is expensive quoted £400 just to have bluetooth upgrade,so get a spec that you need.
The Sc is a nice motor and if you read up on the forum you should be pretty clued up on things to look out for.I prefer to buy private so yo get an idea of who has owned the car,reason for sale ect.As previously said these things dont fly off the forecourt so dont buy unless you are totally confident,always good to have some spare change to get any niggles sorted and i am sure you could post a prospective purchase on here for comments before buying,a few up for sale on the forum.Good luck with the prospective purchase and let us know how you get on. Full fat 4.2 Sc
Jaguar XJR super charged
Porsche cayenne
Tvr tuscan mk1
Bmw mini cooper

Post #421808 8th Jan 2017 8:55pm
SKOT

England 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Bonatti Grey
Re: from porsche to range

miles2k6 wrote:
which model am I better off getting taking into consideration that i want to avoid the 'most common fault' cars.

An early 4.2SC still with BMW build (before Ford were all over it!) all day long but then I would say that wouldn't I?! 2006 4.2 SC
2019 Renault Zoe Dynamique Nav

Post #421812 8th Jan 2017 9:05pm
Markjohns1

United Kingdom 

Agree with Scott,petrol cheaper servicing than a diesel,engines pretty bullet proof, smoother drive than a diesel,so unless used for towing or fuel consumption an issuie 4.2 sc every day in my humble opinion.
Fors and against 06 bmw build poss better,07 new interior and a few modifications,prefferance personal opinion,be more concerned about the individual car and price rather than which year,although 07 comes with the more expensive rfl. Full fat 4.2 Sc
Jaguar XJR super charged
Porsche cayenne
Tvr tuscan mk1
Bmw mini cooper

Post #421815 8th Jan 2017 9:09pm
miles2k6

United Kingdom 

SKOT wrote:
miles2k6 wrote:

An early 4.2SC still with BMW build (before Ford were all over it!) all day long but then I would say that wouldn't I?!

thanks guys.. ok so im gonna take a look at this one hopefully at the weekend.. http://www4.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ad...amp;page=1

if i get a 4.2 sc, what year am i best off getting?
if i get a tdv8 or a td6, what year am i best of getting? ive driven the td6 2004 and it drove beautiful although not much power but im really not bothered?

thanks so much for your help guys.

Post #421938 9th Jan 2017 5:39pm
miles2k6

United Kingdom 

SKOT wrote:
miles2k6 wrote:

An early 4.2SC still with BMW build (before Ford were all over it!) all day long but then I would say that wouldn't I?!

im in milton keynes too mate, you seem quite knowledgeable

Post #421939 9th Jan 2017 5:41pm
Markjohns1

United Kingdom 

Never considered a diesel, in my opinion not as smooth a drive,less umph than a petrol v8,dearer servicing, 3.6 under powered in my opinion. Full fat 4.2 Sc
Jaguar XJR super charged
Porsche cayenne
Tvr tuscan mk1
Bmw mini cooper

Post #422124 10th Jan 2017 7:51pm
Scottyav

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Zambezi Silver

A good map will sort out a tdv8 0-60 under 7 and top goes on a bit 😯 If your close in the future drop me a pm and I'm sure it might change your thought Thumbs Up _____________________________________________________
Zambezi silver Vogue Se unique Smile

Post #422154 11th Jan 2017 12:34am
miles2k6

United Kingdom 

what year is yours mate? i test drove a 55 plate td6 yesterday worst drive ever. steering wheel grinding on turning, shudder when changing gears, vibration throughout car when idling. ugh

Post #422176 11th Jan 2017 11:05am
proser

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

I agree with Scottyav about the remap on a 3.6 TDV8 - a bit improvement over standard Regards
Mark

2012 Westminster
GONE - 2007 Java Black FF Vogue, with Ivory interior

Post #422179 11th Jan 2017 11:36am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>