Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L405) > In Control Apps Data & Music Questions??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
w8pmc

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Carpathian Grey
In Control Apps Data & Music Questions??

As i can't get a sensible or consistent answer form my Dealer, i thought i'd ask here.

My new MY17 FFRR AB is due in 6 weeks & i've in readiness downloaded In Control Remote & In Control Apps ready to be installed on my iPhone 7 when i collect the new car. However i believe i need to get hold of a separate SIM (Micro/Mini) on a pay monthly data only contract that i then keep in the car for the required systems. Is this correct as with BMW/Audi this comes fitted in the car & 3yrs subscription is included?

If i do need to acquire one, what level of monthly data is required?

My preferred music service is Spotify & i believe on the MY17 this is supported via In Control Apps as this replicates certain apps from my iPhone into the car. Again is this correct & if yes does this use my iPhones data package of the operate SIM?

These may seem like stupid questions but as i haven't got the car yet i can't read the MY17 manual & my dealer isn't clued up on such things so getting nowhere with them & with only 6 weeks to go i want to make sure i've everything i need in advance.

On that point, anything else i should be setting up/purchasing in readiness for the cars arrival? I've seen that i need to subscribe to some LR services to access certain Online things, but i guess this is done when i collect the car & happens fairly quickly?

Post #422409 12th Jan 2017 2:53pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

you could read the owners manual online on topix....

Post #422411 12th Jan 2017 3:01pm
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Does this, from the Landrover website, help for starters?

http://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/model/L...767_en_GBR John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #422412 12th Jan 2017 3:05pm
peekay

2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Unless it has changed from MY16.5 to MY17, it connects over your phone, so no extra sim is needed. At least that is how I understand it, I have not added an extra sim and mine works fine

Post #422413 12th Jan 2017 3:16pm
AndyS

United Kingdom 

When I collected my 16.5my car the dealer told me that in order operate the in car wifi setup I needed a 3G pay as you go sim but I wasn't told what data requirements were needed. Not very helpful I know.

Post #422414 12th Jan 2017 3:24pm
Rob99

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

I think that is only for creating a wifi hotspot in your car. 2017 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography
2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster - Gone, but not forgotten

Post #422418 12th Jan 2017 3:34pm
Baltic Blue

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Baltic Blue

How does it talk to the controller when phone not in range of car? , example if it is stolen ? G reg 2.5VM Vogue Portofino red 1991- 1999
V reg 2.5td P38 Rioja red 1999- 2006
53 reg td6 Vogue Oslo blue 2006- 2015
11 reg 4.4 TdV8 Vogue SE. Baltic blue 2015- date.
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic56162...tty+affair

Post #422420 12th Jan 2017 3:39pm
w8pmc

Weegie wrote:
Does this, from the Landrover website, help for starters?

http://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/model/L...767_en_GBR

Thanks. Any idea if a download version is available anywhere?

It does mention in the above that the car has a Micro SIM card slot but i can't see any reference to what for?

It could be as someone mentions above that it's purely to enable a WiFi hotspots in the car which i guess would be the same functionality as i have on my iPhone & someone tethering to that for connectivity, however i'm sure i heard/read that for full functionality of Internet in the car & Google maps etc. that a separate SIM was required for this & also possibly for Music streaming services.

Post #422425 12th Jan 2017 3:58pm
w8pmc

Also spotted (although i guess most new this) that the MY17 has InControl Pro whereas previously it was InControl Plus. The relevant parts of the LR website haven't been updated so it still shows the FFRR as having Plus.

I knew the MY17 gets an Infotainment upgrade but i didn't realise it was to Pro as that appears to add a few fresh features on top of just a bigger screen & better resolution.

Post #422426 12th Jan 2017 4:13pm
Charlyfarly

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Rob99 wrote:
I think that is only for creating a wifi hotspot in your car.

I agree.
The car "talks" to the app without the need for a sim card.
Subscription is free for 3 years.
I've yet to find out how much it will be continue after that. If it ain't broken, fix it till it is.

Post #422428 12th Jan 2017 4:22pm
w8pmc

The plot thickens. Needed to confirm a few details on my car as it's now only 6 weeks away from collection (EXCITED), so i thought i'd raise this data/apps/sim card question & i got a somewhat confusing answer.

Basically to use all the cars electronic services which i guess are music streaming/apps/google/Internet etc. i'd need to tether my iPhone to the car each time i drive it. Obviously my iPhone will auto connect via Bluetooth every time i get in, but tethering for security reasons is a need to connect & sign in each time which is a faff.

Is this correct as seems a very unusual way to connect the phone to the car for Data & something i've never heard of in other makes of vehicle.

In my M5 to access all online services, a 3g SIM (4g wasn't really available when the car was built) is embedded in the car & you get 12mths 'Online' subscription from BMW when new & then pay i think it's about £90 per year to continue. This provides full Internet access in the car & allows such things as Restaurant booking & enhanced Navigation services, however BMW have what they call Connected Drive which provides the usage of specific Apps to be used & accessed directly from the Infotainment system such as Spotify, GoPro, Napster & the like.

I'd have assumed the FFRR would be similar but for some reason i thought you got 3yrs subscription from new, however now i think about it i've not seen Internet/Online mentioned in any of the brochures or spec lists. To use the full range of Infotainment services, i can't surely need to tether my phone as that would cost a fortune every journey & surely i don't need to 'spend' extra money by way of a data only SIM subscription to use the cars Infotainment features?

Post #423273 17th Jan 2017 12:43pm
Baltic Blue

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Baltic Blue

You might need to check with your mobile service provider, because some either do not allow tethering or cap your data tether allowance. G reg 2.5VM Vogue Portofino red 1991- 1999
V reg 2.5td P38 Rioja red 1999- 2006
53 reg td6 Vogue Oslo blue 2006- 2015
11 reg 4.4 TdV8 Vogue SE. Baltic blue 2015- date.
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic56162...tty+affair

Post #423275 17th Jan 2017 1:06pm
w8pmc

I'm with EE & tethering is something i'm able to do on my Apple devices, however surely this isn't how one accesses certain features in the car as that's a tiresome method.

In most cars you connect your phone to the Infotainment via Bluetooth/USB cable or both, but i've never heard of needing to tether ones phone ever time they get in the car.

Post #423308 17th Jan 2017 3:17pm
Charlyfarly

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

I too moved from a BMW to my FFRR.
TBH, the BMW was miles ahead in terms of it's Connected Drive and that was on a car I bought 5 years ago.
I could Google search on the move (maybe unwise) and use enhanced "online" features all from the built in sim card which was FOC for the first 3 years.
I don't need to stream music on the move so the FFRR system does just about OK for me...I can listen to my already downloaded music and podcasts via the InControl app.
Added to the dreadful satnav (see my rants elsewhere on this forum) I think JLR need to up their game. If it ain't broken, fix it till it is.

Post #423320 17th Jan 2017 4:03pm
w8pmc

Is that in a MY17 Charly?

The MY17 has Incontrol Pro which does offer a much better screen resolution as well as increased functionality, but as of yet no MY17 FFRR have arrived at dealers although they're on their way in the next couple of weeks.

Post #423341 17th Jan 2017 5:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>