Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > FFRR or Mercedes GL
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
MH04

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue
FFRR or Mercedes GL

I've currently got a 2.7 Sport, I've previously owned a 4.4 V8 Vogue and am looking at upgrading to either a TDV8 Vogue or a GL420 CDI.
While the Vogue was absolutly faultless during my ownership and needed nothing other than regular servicing, the Sport has made me feel Land Rovers reputation for build quality is more deserved than I previously thought, in 6 Months of ownership I've done both lower arms-they were fine when I bought it, rear propshaft and now its suffering possible gearbox woes!!.
I've also done discs and pads all round, a cambelt service and a turbo hose but these are normal service items so I can't hold that against it, I also hate the interior compared to the FFRR, it's just not nearly as nice a place to be so am looking at changing and really can't decide wether to put my faith in another LR product or try something different with a Merc, has anyone owned/driven both and can compare the two?.

Last edited by MH04 on 23rd Nov 2016 8:30pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #415016 23rd Nov 2016 8:19pm
362bkr

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

You need to drive both and the answer will be obvious ........

Post #415017 23rd Nov 2016 8:23pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I'm fairly sure Mick had a Merc GL

Post #415018 23rd Nov 2016 8:28pm
MH04

I've not had much experience of Mercs 4x4s-I have had a couple of AMGs as well as a CLK 320, all of which were very reliable.
The GL looks to be almost as capable as an LR product off road, although I mostly want something to be able to deal with snow/flooding and I might do a very occasional bit of green laning.
I really like the FFRR, just the Sport has annoyed me that much!!.

Post #415019 23rd Nov 2016 8:34pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Some positive GL comments on this thread

Post #415022 23rd Nov 2016 8:42pm
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE 5.0 SC V8 Havana

Please buy an GL - you will ensure the employment in my region Whistle Wink All my spelling errorz are belong to me!

2023 FFRR L460
2020 Range Rover Velar

Post #415047 23rd Nov 2016 10:25pm
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Raise the suspension in a GL - there's no suspension travel and it rides like it has scaffold poles instead of air bags.

Post #415175 24th Nov 2016 6:10pm
RuthlessGK

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Autobiography 4.2 SC V8 Bonatti Grey

I was looking at either a GL420CDI or a RR 4.2 S/C. As my budget would only just stretch to the bottom end of the GL's I got the RR plus I wanted the RR anyways. From what i researched the GL's were quite reliable and the people that tend to own them keep hold of them.

I dont think i could have one now though. V8 + S/C is just too much to ignore.

Zaff Current Cars -
FFRR L322 4.2 Supercharged 'Bonatti Grey'
Mercedes C270cdi

Post #415300 25th Nov 2016 11:53am
JOKER

Scotland 

As Alistair has said i had a Merc GL 420 CDi , after having 3 FF's decided on when the grandkids came along we needed something slightly bigger .... the GL has space in abundance when not using the 7 seats ( which really came in handy ) granted the handling wouldn'be the same as a FF as the air suspension in the GL was a slightly more softer ride , then again it had the 3 settings to adjust it , never liked the sport setting on it you could run over a fly's dick and feel it .. also the GL didnt have that floaty wallowy feeling taking bends at speed ...
Plus the power was plenty in the Merc for such a big car , it did have a good turn of speed when you floored it , all in all i was quite keen on it but it was bought for the wife and grandkids and all their junk that goes with them ...

If the wife hadn't seen the Range Rover Sport she has now i would have kept the Merc ... 👍👍👍 ====================================

"Open Mike Night " sounded like a lot of fun until i found out i was going to an Autopsy

Post #415321 25th Nov 2016 2:09pm
MH04

Thanks Mick, would you say the GL handled a bit better than the FF overall then?.
To be fair the FF I owned was pretty trouble free, this Sport though,it's been one thing after another, I like the GL 420 but if a really nice 320 came up I'd be happy with that too.
Price wise I'm looking at 07/08 with up to about 80/90 k on the clock, budget is tops £15k and you can get a decent FF or GL for that.
I did briefly consider a Cayenne, but I came to my senses.

Post #415350 25th Nov 2016 4:54pm
JOKER

Scotland 

The FF's i had were great motors never had any major problems with them , as i said earlier the Merc did handle better at speed so you weren't wary at taking a bend at speed as sometimes in the FF's it was a bit cheek clenching ...

Only downside in the Merc was the interior not the most modern and the leather seats were not upto the standard of the FF's but have sat in worse 😄

I liked it and yeah i would buy another if push came to shove and i needed the extra seating and space

But each to their own and i am not slating the FF's they are also good in their own right too ... 👍

Best to get a drive in one to see what suits you better ====================================

"Open Mike Night " sounded like a lot of fun until i found out i was going to an Autopsy

Post #415371 25th Nov 2016 6:08pm
Ticketyboo Too

Ireland 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver
Re: FFRR or Mercedes GL

I would gladly swap my 10MY FF for a GL, superior build quality, 7 full-size seats, fantastic reliability by comparison and a great dealer network. I bought my FF expecting so much more from it. FF MY2010 3.6 tdV8 VogueSE

Post #422429 12th Jan 2017 4:44pm
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE 5.0 SC V8 Havana

Living in Mercedestown - i would never swap for a GL Laughing Rolling with laughter Bow down All my spelling errorz are belong to me!

2023 FFRR L460
2020 Range Rover Velar

Post #422455 12th Jan 2017 7:43pm
themule

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zambezi Silver

Good comparison on the prodrivermags website. This does concentrate on their qualities as chauffeur cars but it's quite detailed.

Their conclusion is the FF is more refined and comfortable and stylish whilst the Merc is bigger, has the 7 seats and has better, more high tech infotainment. That's the latest models, I think the older Merc model wasn't nearly as refined.

I saw a GL marked next to a FF recently and it dwarfed it - maybe it's too big for UK roads and car parks? That said there is a 63 AMG one near me and it sounds LOUD

Post #422536 13th Jan 2017 9:43am
BIGMAMMA

England 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I was shocked when I changed car a few months ago;
I sold my 5.0SC FF as I was piling on the miles too quickly, truly broke my heart.
I almost bought a Ford Edge, glad I didn't in the end.
Ended up with a brand new Discovery. Never ever been in one previously, and was thrilled with the test drive at the dealer's.
I Have had it since September. A very agile and nimble car, comfortable (though not as comfortable as my old FF) a full seven seats when needed, all the toys I ever needed in the basic car, economy is at least 50% better (but it would be over my 5.0SC wouldn't it?) and space inside is absolutely massive. The V6 diesel is a fabulous engine, truly responsive and mated to the 8 speed auto gearbox, truly sublime.
Would I have another FF? Of course I would. But only when I'm doing considerably less mileage than I am currently. Would I have another Discovery? If its this shape, yes. Not sure about the new one 'coming down the hill'. '17 RANGE ROVER L405 SDV8 AB LOIRE BLUE with INDUS SILVER ROOF
'14 RANGE ROVER L405 VSE 3.0TDV6 SANTORINI / INDUS (gone)
'17 LAND ROVER DISCO SPORT HSE DYNAMIC LUX, BLACK PACK (Wifey's)
'16 RANGE ROVER EVOQUE 2.0 AB, FIRENZE RED (Daughter's)
'17 DISCOVERY 5 HSE LUX, MONTELCINO RED (gone)
'16 DISCOVERY 4 LANDMARK SANTORINI (gone)
'10 L322 5.0 SC AB STORNOWAY GREY / ALMOND (very relunctantly gone)
'04 4.4 V8 VOGUE EPSOM GREEN / CREAM (reluctantly gone)

Post #422574 13th Jan 2017 12:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1