Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Photos, Videos & Media > Dashcam saved my insurance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Ian c2

United States 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

Isn't there an insurance ombudsman in the UK that you can contact to sort this mess for you nick ?

Post #366385 10th Jan 2016 5:06pm
nicksaab

2016 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Yes there is - but you have to hit deadlock with your company first, they won't step in until the internal complaints procedures have been exhausted first, hence have to give them the chance to sort it.

Its just frustrating more than anything else, the money isn't really an issue and I know that the paint will be sorted out - its just the feeling that I'm the only one doing anything about it - but also I'm the only one with anything to lose. Current Fleet:-
2018 Discovery 5 3.0 HSE
2021 Ford Ranger Wildtrack
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt 5.0 V8
1993 Defender 90 200TDI Pickup

Gone - not forgotten
2016 L405 4.4 SDV8 Vogue SE
2012 L322 4.4 Westminster
2004 L322 4.4 V8 Autobiography LE
2000 P38 RR 4.0 HSE (ex Clarkson test car)

Post #366396 10th Jan 2016 5:52pm
Realist

Wales 

Proof why women should stay behind the kitchen sink and not be given drivers licenses cos they cant bloody drive full stop.

She was to close to the car in front of her for starters, over compensated for breaking to soon and pulled to the left and that when she realised their was a car in the inside of her and then lost control.

If she drove to the highway code and left a breaking distance she would of had plenty of time to react,

Women.

Post #373128 19th Feb 2016 3:58pm
axle

Australia 2008 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Rimini Red

^ Realy ?
Censored . 2008 MY Supercharged
Rimini Red / Jet
four zone climate
remote park heater
and no ugly kid windows.
magnus satis quod turpis satis

Post #373225 20th Feb 2016 4:09am
viper

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver

Sadly , I dont think you will ever win this one. As insurance law stands , basically you ran into the back of someone. They will say that when following another car you should always maintain a safe stopping distance , even if they hit a brick wall.
I dont think any of us here could have stopped in that sitaution .

I think the insurance will view this as a rear end shunt which is no contest . in a motorway pile up senario everyone claims of the car that hit them, they dont all claim of the car at the front that caused the incident

Post #373239 20th Feb 2016 10:19am
jonnyboy54321

United Kingdom 

Viper
I take it you didn't bother reading the bit about how the citroen wheel ended up under the OP's car rendering his braking ineffective?????

Post #373241 20th Feb 2016 10:30am
DaveK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

Looks like these cameras are going to prove pretty pointless then when the clear evidence is just ignored.

Post #373246 20th Feb 2016 10:58am
viper

jonnyboy54321 wrote:
Viper
I take it you didn't bother reading the bit about how the citroen wheel ended up under the OP's car rendering his braking ineffective?????

I certainly did and I watched the footage . As I said i couldnt have stopped in those circumstances but the way insurance law stands it will be classed as a rear end shunt without proper stopping distances observed . the highway code states huge stopping distances that are not real world but thats what would be against him if it went to court.
If his insurance company thought they had a chance of defending this they would, they are not in the business of giving money away . I think thats why they are not intersted in his footage .

Its same senario as roundabout accidents , even when its not your fault it always goes 50/50

Post #373253 20th Feb 2016 12:34pm
nicksaab

2016 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Just to say the other insurance company finally admitted full liability a couple of weeks ago and I've just received a cheque for all my costs, the paint faults on mine have been rectified and I've had compensation out of my insurance company for not sorting out the claim in a timely manner.

Without the dash cam footage it would have been much harder to prove I was not at fault (the dispute in the claim was the other driver claimed they were hit from behind which caused them to spin out). There was no issue with how the proceeding collateral damage was classified (it would only have been a rear end shunt had that been the cause of the accident)

Once my insurance company had the footage they were 100% behind me - in fact court papers were being drawn up in January which is when the other party's insurance company finally accepted liability and settled.

My complaint against my insurance company was the fact that although I had proved I wasn't at fault, in the eyes of insurance law you are still at fault (and have to declare the claim as 'at fault') until the other party actually settles (which was impacting the insurance on other vehicles I drive and own). I stated they weren't doing enough in the preceding 7 months to get that settlement - which they did uphold and paid compensation.

So the dash cam footage did save my insurance eventually. The footage has also been picked up a TV company doing a programme later this year as well for which they are recording an interview with me next week. Current Fleet:-
2018 Discovery 5 3.0 HSE
2021 Ford Ranger Wildtrack
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt 5.0 V8
1993 Defender 90 200TDI Pickup

Gone - not forgotten
2016 L405 4.4 SDV8 Vogue SE
2012 L322 4.4 Westminster
2004 L322 4.4 V8 Autobiography LE
2000 P38 RR 4.0 HSE (ex Clarkson test car)

Post #373272 20th Feb 2016 4:43pm
viper

good result!

since reading this thread i have indeed bought and fitted a dash cam, the nextbase from halfords. The quality is very good.

thanks for sharing your story

Post #373276 20th Feb 2016 4:55pm
Realist

Wales 

And me, got one in the works van but just took delivery from Amazon of a AUTO-VOX G1W-C Capacitor Version NT96550 + AR0330 2.7" 1080P Full HD Black Box Car DVR Camera Recorder Dashboard Cam with G-Sensor | Loop recording for the FFRR.

Thanks OP.

Post #373279 20th Feb 2016 4:59pm
RRVSE

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Corris Grey

I also had an experience whereby I hit the back quarter of a car who had pulled out in front of me from a parked position , I swerved to miss it, then it promptly stopped in front of me to do a U-turn at which point I could not avoid it. I accepted no liability for the accident and told the insurance company this . The woman claimed car was undriveable, that she had whiplash and also had a witness - the car she was trying to keep up with who then turned up 2mins later when he realised she was not behind him! For some obscure reason she had forgot I took photos on my mobile , including her "undriveable" car which she drove off in. Told insurance company's solicitors (they let me deal direct with them) that I would see her in court as I was relying on her witness (her boss as it happens) not willing to perjur himself in court for a small amount of money. I was correct, after telling her car hire company I would not pay them, and refusing to accept any fault, 11 months later all claims against me were dropped when the day in court loomed. I got my excess back with interest. The most annoying thing though is that this a blatant attempt at fraud and when they realise it isn't going to work, they drop the case. I don't understand why their or my insurance company then doesn't refer such attempted fraud claims to the police, it just seems these days it's a case of 'lets have a go at getting some money and if it doesn't work out, well at least we've given it a go'. Steve

Main car : FFRR L405 Vogue SDV8
Other car : Vauxhall Lotus Carlton
Past cars : FFRR L322 Vogue TD6 SE (Sept 2006 MY07) ; LandCruiser SWB ; 4-Runner ; Supras; XJS V12 LeMans

Post #374043 25th Feb 2016 2:00am
RR2008HSE

Canada 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

Good result, OP, but a very long fight to get there.

Post #374629 28th Feb 2016 3:34am
Pezza

England 

Just been searching dashcams and this is one of the posts that came up.

It certainly has made my mind up to have a dashcam fitted when I eventually purchase a FF.

I will probably have one fitted in the jaguar as well as the wife's Golf!

Glad the whole thing was eventually sorted out for the OP.

Pezza
Razz

Post #422571 13th Jan 2017 1:35pm
Dickie

United Kingdom 

Nightmare but it sounds like your insurance company isn't really taking you (or your footage) seriously enough. Three complaints? My next call would be to the insurance ombudsman. Many years ago I was in a similar situation (being penalised for a non-fault accident) and eventually started the process with the ombudsman and low and behold the insurance company put me back to my pre-accident status and refunded the additional premiums I had been paying for 12 months!

Dashcams I absolutely swear by and have them fitted to all my cars. I always had a front facing dashcam on my RR but decided to upgrade and fitted a rear facing one too (Blackvue GR650W 2CH). Literally three days later a lorry veered into my lane on a roundabout and collided with my rear quarter panel. Camera picked it all up and it was a cut and shut case, however, of course when speaking to his insurance company he denied any liability and they suggested that we let our respective insurance companies sort it out. I politely requested an email address from the lorry's insurance company and sent them the footage. 15 minutes later I had a call asking if I had any preference when I'm like my RR repaired! Took them 2 months to sort it (mainly due to it being over the Christmas period) and I had a loaner L405 VSE for the duration.

Morals of my story, get a dashcam, and go direct to the other party's insurance company with the footage and ask whether they'd prefer to settle the bill or if they'd like me to use my own insurance; usually results in the former.

Post #423208 17th Jan 2017 9:41am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>