Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Brake problems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ian

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Rimini Red
Brake problems

Since i bought my RR, i have not been happy with the brakes. Sometimes they are very sharp, almost on/off, and sometimes very spongy before coming on suddenly. I have also found on occasions that if i am stationary in gear with my foot on the brake, the car can start moving forwards, even with my my foot almost on the floor. has any one else experienced this as it is a bit worrying when you cant seem to have full control of the car. I havent found the brake fluid level dropping, nor any puddles under the car so dont think it leaking. the only other options i can come up with are air in the system, but why different response to the pedal, or the master cylinder going. any help appreciated Thumbs Up

Post #374408 26th Feb 2016 8:58pm
comports

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Mariana Black

Hi Ian,

Not sure if it affects your model year but there was an optional recall on brake hoses I believe - I have a letter somewhere from LR asking me if I want to go in for a check.

Might be worth dropping into Lookers as you are in Chelmsford to ask the question... Ash
------------------------------------------------------
2016 SDV8 AB

Post #374437 26th Feb 2016 10:05pm
gregdav

England 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

I would start by bleeding the system, sounds like air.
cheapest option first.
Also check the fluid level in the reservoir to see where its at.
could benefit seals going in your master cylinder, but with its age check all the brake pipes as they have a tendency to corrode.
lots of good info on here including wiki.
Thumbs Up

Post #374470 27th Feb 2016 7:09am
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

All good advice, if you haven't had any pipes replaced yet have a look round the wheel arches, and at the rear round the fuel tank area for signs of a leak.

Check the flexis too, and the banjo fittings on the calipers for sign of weeping. It doesn't sound if there is a big leak. It's basically a seals system, for there to be air in the system there needs to be a place for the air to get in to it.

It sounds like it's bleeding off pressure, if you manage to stop it then the brake force reduces and you start creeping. Replacing the pipes can be done yourself but it's a PITA job and one best left to the professionals if you don't know what you are doing! Thumbs Up

Get the fluid changed too. It has a 5yr life max so yous should be coming up to its 3rd change, which will also take care of bleeding the brakes but only do this after you are sure there are no leaks! There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #374478 27th Feb 2016 8:11am
ian

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Rimini Red

Ok so just had a major service,130k. so would now assume none of the pipes etc are weeping in any way as this would have been picked up. Also had the brake fluid changed as advised ( thanks for that advice). All seemed ok driving home yesterday, but today i have found if apply gentle pressure to the brake pedal, i can still push it to the floor with no brakes. my thoughts at this time would either be something like the master cylinder, or a flexible pipe slowly expanding under pressure. trouble is its not always the same! Big Cry

Post #379396 25th Mar 2016 7:37pm
Covbandit

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Oslo Blue

Hi I am having identical issues with my 03 l322. My issue is as l am in a wheelchair l have hand controls so can feel the slightest difference. I stopped at some lighrs today in drive and the hand lever slowly crept to the dash where it bottomed out and the car started to move forwards. The brakes now feel spongy and l definity have pedal creep. I turned the engine off and pumped the brakes till all the air out the servo aand now the brake pedal is solid again. However having had cars for over 20 years i jave come across this before and am 99% sure to be master cylinder seal failure or foreign body in said master cylinder. As there is a lot more involved nowadays ie abs module etc l was jjzt wondering if you ever cured your issue. The resevoir has not lost any fluid.
Thanks.

Post #423542 18th Jan 2017 6:50pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Sounds like classic damaged master cylinder seals, the pedal should stay hard and not drop, the fluid is weeping past the seals very slightly so normal operation is there but sustained pressure will cause it to drop...

Just get it changed, they are not a lot of money and not that bad a job... Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #423635 19th Jan 2017 12:37am
Covbandit

Thanks pete, sort of confirmed my suspicions but just put it out there just in case there is something l had overlooked. Some absolute male appendage head decided he wanted off on the m6 last night and slammed his brakes on in the outside lane.... properly slammed. So l had to hit mine hard and thus the issues have atarted so think l may have just put a tiny rip or taken a small piece out the seal. Job looks straightforward. 2 pipes, 2 nuts, fluid resevoir and bleed as described in rave.
And by the way the thermostat mod was the best thing l ever did. The car runs perfect, the heater is still red hot, gearbox warms up and operates as it should. Also the heat that used to be under the bonnet has reduced and i can take rhe expansion bottle cap off pretty much any time as there is never that much pressure as it is not sitting at above 100 degrees all the time. Also when l did the timing chain l chucked a new water pump on and gave the rad a flush, although the rad is fairly new.
Thanks again

Post #423665 19th Jan 2017 8:47am
Ollie7195

England 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Barolo Black

Hi guys did changing the seals in the master cylinder work for you? My brake pedal goes solid with the engine off, or sinks very slowly but I cant tell, and with the engine on it will slowly sink to the floor, have tested HDC on a hill and it brakes the car perfectly making me think its an issue before the ABS block which simply points to the master cylinder?

Post #428378 19th Feb 2017 3:36pm
Covbandit

Changed the master cylinder off an l322 being broke. System bled up fine following procedure in rave and touch wood brakes have been 100% since so for me master cylinder was the issue.

Post #428383 19th Feb 2017 3:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1