Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic - Other Cars > Coolant Sensor Failure may kill your car! - WRONG!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Joe90

England 
Coolant Sensor Failure may kill your car! - WRONG!!

My Audi A4 Cabriolet 3.0 V6 (2004) has been a reliable old soul and has started first time everytime for 7 years.

Not so on returning from the shops on Saturday. Wife parked up on drive to empty bags etc., then went back to park neatly. Not starting. Oh I said (thinking left in Drive instead of Park + other things!). Had a go myself, not starting, turning over though. Leave it for a while I thought. Went back 1/2 an hour later, car started then died. Hmmm...fuel ? Left it overnight.

Nice cold engine, turned over, refused to start.

Out with the VCDS:

ENGINE:
1 Fault Found:
19497 - Powertrain Databus
P3041 - 004 - Implausible Engine Temp. Message from Inst. Panel - Intermittent

INSTRUMENTS:
1 Fault Found:
01039 - Coolant Temperature Sensor (G2)
30-10 - Open or Short to Plus - Intermittent

Surely this wouldn't stop the car from starting? Googled way, checked with Ross-Tech Wiki. No-one saying they had a non-starter, just rough running or difficulty in starting. one chap on an Audi forum said he just disconnected his sensor, and car started OK. So I thought I would try this first.

Now where is the coolant sensor on an Audi V6 engine in a Cabriolet? You guessed it tucked away on the back coolant rail near the bulkhead and below the intake manifold. Any room to get at it? Like heck. Can you easily see it, like heck!

After dismantling parts of the air intake and moving several wires and tubes I could squeeze my left hand in behind the engine and get to the sensor (good job am left handed and small hands/arms). But with a torch and a long thin screwdriver I was able to see to release the clip on the wiring connector. Stupid things. Put air intake stuff back together and tried to start. Turned over but no startie, however this time cooling fans fired up to full speed! Oops.

This is caused by the circuit being open. Reading up, even a paperclip across the pins would cause the opposite (too cold). So like Goldilocks' porridge, the reading has to be "just right". Still didn't think it was the coolant sensor though...

That evening did a click and collect with europarts for a coolant sensor on the basis that if VCDS says it is broken it needs fixing, and having found a guy in the USA on youtube who had a non-starting Ford Taurus that was fixed with a new coolant sensor. Nice drive to Soton in the rain on Monday morning, new sensor came without an O ring so that was another £1.39!

Back home made a start, air intake stuff off again, tubes and wires moved aside, then fiddled about with short screwdrivers releasing the plastic spring clip that holds the sensor in place, its passage blocked by the coilpack wiring. Remember, this is one handed, with a viewpoint not much more than looking down a straw! Spring clip finally off. Wobble the sensor, out it came, along with 2 pints of coolant (damn, forgot to depressurize!). O ring stayed in so fabricated a hook thing from a large paper clip to hoyk it out.

After all that new one went back in a bit more easily, and topped up the coolant. Would it start, heck it wouldn't! But the fans came on again. (Clue - but was not as quick as Sherlock's sister!)

Decided to check fuel/fuel pump - really useful section in ElsaWin on testing fuel pump. Fuel pump fuse OK, Fuel pump relay OK. Fuel pump works.

Decided to check things out with VCDS again. This time VCDS told me I had "16502/P0118/000280 - Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (G62): Signal too High". Cleared codes, turned the key, engine started. Thumbs Up

Morale of the tale: don't give up, sometimes it is worth believing what is there in front of you. Wink .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #423077 16th Jan 2017 4:40pm
Joe90

England 

UPDATE: Two faults for the price of one (and a hefty price too!)

A day later, (wife, again) goes to start the Audi to head off to the shops, no start, just turns over.

Me scratches head, reads codes, all clear.

Can't hear the fuel pump priming on ignition, so check Fuel Pump fuse, check and test Fuel Pump relay, check power at fuel pump terminals (@ 4/5 volts with ignition on, 12+volts on cranking)

Check resistance across live/earth terminals on fuel pump: 0.000 ohms

Research: 1-3 ohms OK, 0 ohms, knackered!!

Europarts only do Fuel Feed Units - must be the same thing? On ordering one up (using JANSALE 30% discount Wink) I find it has an extra outlet on top - for the aux heater. So a poke about in the parts box produces something to blank this off with.

Car full of fuel, but fortunately, no screen at the bottom of the tank filler, so syphoned out @ 30 litres and gave to the kids (keeping back 5 litres to put back in!)

Fuel pump right at the back of the boot on the Audi, one lies on ones stomach on top of the spare wheel to carry out removal and replacement Rolling Eyes A right fiddle refitting the suction jet pump to the main pump as you have to do this in tank.

All back together and after a few cranks fires up and runs as if nothing had ever happened. Get a new fuel filter tomorrow as rain stopped play .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #425653 30th Jan 2017 5:52pm
Stacker

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Adriatic Blue

As long as you didn't let said Wife use the FF while the Audi was off the road! Laughing 

Post #425664 30th Jan 2017 7:09pm
Joe90

England 

Too scared of him! .
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Post #425677 30th Jan 2017 8:50pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Like the idea of giving the kids 30 litres of petrol. Suspect this may need qualifying with their ages.... Whistle There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #425682 30th Jan 2017 9:04pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Top job Tim, had to change that sensor on wifes old V6 TT so I know what you went through... I did a lot of swearing... Big Cry Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #425707 31st Jan 2017 1:04am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1