Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > Mirror dipping
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ABAB

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue
Mirror dipping

I've been experiencing a couple of problems with the door mirror dip function.

1) Intermittently, the passenger door mirror does not revert to its original undipped position after changing out of reverse gear into drive. I am able to tell this by pressing the memory recall button and noticed that the mirror then nudges skyward slightly as it returns to its correct, memory stored position.

I have seen reference to this being a problem on older generations of Land Rover model (about 10 or so years ago) but wonder if anyone has experienced this on the L405 please?

Since it is one of those intermittent problems, it is proving difficult to demonstrate to the local dealer.

2) Only the passenger door mirror dips when the car is in reverse and not on the driver's side. Reading the owners manual, it suggests that both door mirrors should dip. If you have an L405 do both of your mirrors dip when in reverse or just one of them please?

Thanks in advance for any experience or tips.

Post #425988 2nd Feb 2017 2:32pm
AndyS

United Kingdom 

From memory only the nearside mirror dips on my L405's when reverse is selected. Not sure why it's not returning to the original position though but I suspect someone will be along soon with an explanation.

Post #425993 2nd Feb 2017 2:55pm
philbathurst

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV6 Montalcino Red

mine's a MY16 - both of mine dip when in reverse - I think there is a setting in the Steering wheel menu control
possibly the Vehicle Set-Up menu - which is only active when ignition on but engine not started

have noticed I have to adjust mirrors occasionally this may be linked to dipped mirror not returning fully, not really sure various other LR's this one is still the best

Post #426008 2nd Feb 2017 5:18pm
Nick Ground

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Indus Silver

All of my L405 have had both mirrors dip when enabled in reverse. There is a process to set the mirror position.

MIRROR DIP WHEN REVERSING Selecting Reverse (R) gear will cause the doormirrors to automatically adjust, providing an improved viewing angle for reversing.The exact dipped position can be adjusted whenthe mirrors are dipped. The next time R is selected, the newly adjusted position will be selected.When the gear selector is moved out of R, the mirrors will return to their previous position.Note: If the vehicle's speed exceeds 7 km/h (4mph) in reverse, the mirrors will return to their normal driving position for enhanced visibility.The automatic Mirror dip feature can be enabled or disabled using the Vehicle Set-Up menu.

If your right hand mirror does not move try the above.

I would suggest you move the left hand one from its current set position and see if it still fails to go back to the normal position.

Nick 2019 D5 HSE Lux SDV6 Indus
55 D3 SE
98 MX5 1.8 RS
gone 17 older variants of FFRR

Post #426031 2nd Feb 2017 8:01pm
DrF

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Orkney Grey

Yep both of mine dip.
Thumbs Up

Post #426073 2nd Feb 2017 11:21pm
ABAB

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Thanks to all for the replies.

The LR dealer has done a software flash to the seat/mirror memory pack and this seems to have made the driver's door mirror dip in reverse now. It's also cleared up a problem with the driver's seat not returning to its original position after the easy entry/exit procedure.

With thanks to Nick but it seems that for my car (MY16) it is not possible to adjust and then save the position of the dipped mirror when in reverse. I'm guessing that this must have been a model year change somewhere along the line (manual extract below)

MIRROR DIP WHEN REVERSING

Selecting Reverse (R) gear will cause both of the door mirrors to automatically adjust, providing an improved viewing angle for reversing.

The dipped position of the mirrors is a preset position. In R, the mirrors can be adjusted, but the new position cannot be saved.

When the gear selector is moved out of R, the mirrors will return to their previous position.

NOTES
If the vehicle's speed exceeds 12 km/h (7 mph) in R, the mirrors will return to their normal driving position for enhanced visibility.

The automatic Mirror dip feature can be enabled/disabled in the Instrument panel menu. See INSTRUMENT PANEL MENU. 2016 SDV8 AB

Post #426833 8th Feb 2017 9:22am
Rob99

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

ABAB wrote:
The dipped position of the mirrors is a preset position

That seems a backwards step. Why would they now be preset when drivers are different heights, use different driving positions and sometimes want to view at different angles.

Just think, someone (or more likely a committee Whistle ) had to make a conscious decision to change that "feature" and make it less useful Rolling Eyes 2017 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography
2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster - Gone, but not forgotten

Post #426845 8th Feb 2017 10:44am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1