Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
jonnyboy54321

United Kingdom 

Agreed john, and thanks Thumbs Up 2007 Vogue TDV8 with 255/55/20's fitted

Post #427609 13th Feb 2017 6:38pm
jonnyboy54321

United Kingdom 

So I fitted my Trioma kit today after this thread and help from other members, most notably our very own Weegie (John) who has been most helpful.
My aim was to get some stored music in the car, and if possible, allow streaming from a phone via bluetooth. In an ideal world I wanted the stored music to be on an iPod permanently installed in the car (and charging as you go along). No usb cables trailing etc. Had some conversation with Umno who also supply an ipod interface. It is an either/or situation according to them - as both interfaces (the BT streaming and the ipod one) plug into the main trioma box using the same connection point. Decided that the way forward was bluetooth streaming and transfer the ipod music onto a USB stick to leave in the car permanently.
For reference, mine is the later car, an 07, with the CDC in the upper glovebox.
So a couple of useful pointers. Firstly, ensure you have emptied the CDC magazine (my cdc plays nothing but white-noise hence the upgrade, but there were discs in there). That was silly John. Secondly, the glovebox latches are electronic so before you disconnect the battery, lob some duct tape or similar over the latch so it prevents closure when you are mucking about sans-battery Thumbs Up

I decided that taking the cdc out permanently would give a nice space but a real ballache to create a bespoke empty upper glovebox so just left it in disconnected. So once I had the upper glovebox and cdc loose, Out it came (some good instructions on topix for the LR connectivity kit VPLEM004 http://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/topix/co...o%20module as the principle is the same).
My Trioma kit came with a male to female usb extension cable meaning the control gear could be totally hidden as all I would need access to would be a USB connection. So I drilled a 20mm hole in the top of the upper glovebox just in front of the venture cam cradle, put in an electricians 20mm blind grommet and the usb cable went through a treat :-

Click image to enlarge

You can see two cables there, ignore one of them, unrelated.

Now, John (Weegie) offered me the use of his bluetooth streaming unit that he doesn't need - his is the original iteration BMT1, now superceded with BMT2.

Got everything installed as per earlier in this thread, temporarily for testing. Had the CDC out for space reasons. As i did not want my (broken) cdc in the MOST fibre-optic loop, there is a dead easy way to do the connections. The white plug on the back of the cdc has both + and - connections, and MOST in and out. You can flip both sub-connectors out of this white multiplug. There is a black fibreoptic sub-plug which goes straight into Umno's black plug that connects to the Trioma. The in and out's are correctly orientated. Here's a pic of the original white plug with the connections reused onto the Trioma:-

Now. The Trioma has a three-pin power input and the supplied fly-lead is two core with a three-pin plug. From its orientation I worked out the two pins the LR plug could be placed onto to use the CDC's own power supply. For reference, red and yellow is live and brown is earth.

Sorted out a USB stick with ten MP£ tracks on for initialisation. There are jumper pins with different positions dependent on the car installation (also for Volvo etc). For the facelift '06 onwards car you take both jumpers out.

So with trepidation I put the battery back on.
Disaster.
No screen display other than the LR logo, and a flashing orange LED in the centre of the standby button.
No matter what I did I couldn't seem to get the screen or anything else to boot up. Out came the IID tool - one fault which was along the lines of no MOST signal. Disconnected battery again, reverted connections back to the original ones for the CDC - still nothing. Arghhh!

Back into the house for a consult with my friend Google (after searching here of course). Plenty threads about the screen not booting up, mostly related to knackered bluetooth modules and the likes. Came across several threads mentioning to check fuse 49.

Predictably my fuse 49 was fine. So at this point, not only have I made a duff install, I've also screwed up the head unit etc, no satnav, tv, nothing. You can imagine how I felt. Drained.

My saviour was our own Weegie. A call to him, I innocently mentioned fuse 49. "Don't you mean fuse 40?". He duly checked and his memory was correct- indeed fuse 40 also covers AV equipment. Of course, mine was blown wasn't it? Not sure how I managed that as I was as careful as a careful thing.

Never been so Censored embarrassed for a long time. I'm not normally one who asks for help until I have done a proper methodical diagnosis first. In my slight defence I was also juggling a wrong-parts nightmare with one of my vans at the same time, the van was half in half out the garage up on stands and in bits so a distraction. Still no excuse!

Took a breath. Replaced fuse 40. Battery on, and joy of joys all was well. Radio, cdc (no sound as its u/s), nav, the lot. Yippee. Relax a bit. Battery back off. This time I decided to make a better job of the power supply to the Trioma so I de-pinned the supplied power loom, de-pinned the cdc little black power multiplug, and whacked the cabling into the white Trioma power plug. Not an exact fit but I made it work well.

Battery back on and yippeeeeeeeee. All working. Cd number 1 and 4 are lit up in the cdc screen on the head unit, and one of my ten test tracks started playing. Fast forwarded to a later track, all good. Switched car off and on and the USB music was still in the right place ie where it was when I left. John alludes to this in his original post - the importance of the correct power supply to the Trioma so track position/memory is maintained. I then hooked up my phone via bluetooth as per his instructions and there we are, music on my phone is now streaming beautifully throughout the car via cd number 4. Note - you can only pair with the bluetooth unit when the cd screen is set to cd 4 !!

I then set about tidying up the install, putting the disconnected cdc back in etc:-

The Trioma fits beautifully in a nice little hole above the left side of the fusebox, you can also just see the BMT1 bluetooth unit here:-

The one thing I forgot to do is take a pic of the finished install - where all that is on show is the usb stick in the upper glovebox. I will do that tomorrow.

Huge huge thanks to all who have posted in this thread but especially to John (weegie) and for his generosity, and to Will (kingpleb) with some good pointers.

This will end up being a very very worthwhile upgrade.

Just now got to transfer about 1000 songs off an ipod into mp3 format onto a USB stick. That will be absolutely joyous Rolling Eyes 2007 Vogue TDV8 with 255/55/20's fitted

Post #428168 17th Feb 2017 8:52pm
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Thumbs Up Well done. Worth doing. John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #428169 17th Feb 2017 9:03pm
jonnyboy54321

United Kingdom 

Photo of the install showing how much of it is on show

Madam will be road-testing the bluetooth imminently! 2007 Vogue TDV8 with 255/55/20's fitted

Post #428230 18th Feb 2017 12:35pm
Urotex

United States 2007 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Buckingham Blue
low volume on bluetooth from iphone

I set this up with a BM2 so I could stream music from my iphone. In the past when I used the aux input, I was annoyed by the low volume and buzzing. The good news is the buzzing is not present with the bluetooth. The bad news is that the volume when streaming music from itunes via bluetooth is still low.
When I turn up the volume it affects the sound quality and if nav is on at the same time, the nav voice is LOUD.
Or if I switch to radio or CD, I have to turn the volume down.

does anyone else have this problem? is there a fix?
One other thing, before I buttoned everything away in the dash behind the glove box, I put an rca cord into the jack in the blue tooth module and ran it thru the glovebox in case I wanted to use it in the future. It is not being used, but do you think having the cord plugged in is affecting the volume?

Post #440236 31st May 2017 4:28pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

there is a menu where you can adjust individual volumes, should all be in the owners manual.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #440245 31st May 2017 5:42pm
Urotex

That menu doesn't allow changes to individual entertainment audio or Aux volume. Just AVC, phone, voice, nav

Post #440252 31st May 2017 6:53pm
Urotex

Re: low volume on bluetooth from iphone

Urotex wrote:

One other thing, before I buttoned everything away in the dash behind the glove box, I put an rca cord into the jack in the blue tooth module and ran it thru the glovebox in case I wanted to use it in the future. It is not being used, but do you think having the cord plugged in is affecting the volume?

After unplugging the cord, the same problem persists.

Does anyone else notice that the volume is low on music played through bluetooth???

Post #440328 1st Jun 2017 3:12pm
Clabs

United Kingdom 

Urotex

I have a Trioma + Bluetooth module sitting here but have not had a chance to install it yet due to work commitments.

Your post worried me a bit because low playback volume would also be an issue for me. So - I fired off an email to Mark @ Umno-Tech and he replied straight away. Here is what he said.

"The low volume for Bluetooth or AUX playback can be controlled by Trioma.
While Bluetooth or AUX playback, simply press long the >> fast forward button and increase the volume. Press long Button << fast reverse minimizes the volume.
I hope your questions have been correctly understood and answered."

The buttons he is referring to are on the radio, not the phone.

Give it a go and see if it works. I guess if it does work then it means it is not also possible to fast forward or rewind whilst playing a track but I guess we cannot have everything.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers, Mark

Post #440337 1st Jun 2017 5:22pm
Urotex

thanks, I contacted Umno-tech too and they replied with this tidbit from the website:

"Operator Nung:
- When in radio mode Stereo
1. CD changer or trioma mode switch MODE / CD / CD-C / AUX / CD-CHGR.
- Call / End answer press DISC3, or DISC +, depending on the Radio Model.
- Track up / down takes place Trough <> keys on the radio or steering wheel

- Press and hold keys <> long, Bluetooth volume can be increased or decreased."

I'm going to try it when I get out to my car.
I think that it will probably work because it seemed to work fine initially, and I did push those arrow buttons on the screen thinking that they were "play" buttons or that they might "change tracks", so maybe I inadvertently turned the volume down.

Post #440338 1st Jun 2017 5:27pm
Clabs

United Kingdom 

Fair play.

If I am understanding it correctly, it looks like there might be a couple of ways of doing it. And it does sound like you may have inadvertently turned the volume down by mistake.

Anyway - do let us know if it works for you.

Cheers, Mark

Post #440340 1st Jun 2017 5:39pm
Urotex

Holding down the skip track button on the steering wheel worked!!
Looks like this ">>|"

Post #440341 1st Jun 2017 5:54pm
Clabs

United Kingdom 

Ah - nice one!

I will hopefully have a chance to finally fit mine this weekend but good to know that the issue is solved.

Still a pity that we cannot FFW/RW in track but as I say, I guess we can't have everything and I am sure I will be able to live without it )

Cheers, Mark

Post #440342 1st Jun 2017 5:59pm
Urotex

Clabs wrote:
Fair play.

If I am understanding it correctly, it looks like there might be a couple of ways of doing it. And it does sound like you may have inadvertently turned the volume down by mistake.

Anyway - do let us know if it works for you.

Cheers, Mark

You can change tracks with the same button. However to change the volume you have to push and hold it.

Post #440388 1st Jun 2017 11:34pm
Clabs

United Kingdom 

I finally got around to installing a Trioma module + BT2 Bluetooth interface a few days ago. This is in a 2005 MY06 TD6. Installation was fairly straightforward thanks to the pointers on this thread.

After some quick testing, I hid the two modules behind the glove box and added the optional USB/Aux socket which I installed in the little coin tray thingy in front of the gear selector.

Having had a play with it over the past couple of days, everything works really well, with the exception of skipping forward to the next track when streaming Bluetooth audio. If I skip forward to the next track using the controls on the phone, everything works perfectly, but if I use the radio or steering wheel buttons, you can see the track on the phone change, but the audio is almost always muted for around 9-10 seconds, and then the audio cuts back in again - meaning I miss the first 9-10 seconds of the track selected. I say almost always, because occasionally, the next track plays perfectly from the beginning.

If I press the Skip button again whilst the audio is muted, the audio for the current track very briefly returns before then properly skipping to the next track correctly.

Unmo-Tech say they have never come across this problem and suggested trying a different phone/app. So - I tried an IPhone 7, 6, 5 and 4 with default Apple music app and a One Plus Android via Spotify - with identical results.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of behaviour at all?

Cheers, Mark

Post #441172 10th Jun 2017 9:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>