Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Water Leak Driver Side
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Stoich

Scotland 
Water Leak Driver Side

I have been trying to trace a leak coming down drivers A pillar with no success.
I have read many helpful posts on here to no avail and am stumped. I think I have seen all the posts regarding this type of leak, and nothing seems to answer my problem

Firstly I checked the sunroof drains, all clear. Have removed A pillar trim and can see the water coming down from a seam where steel from roof joins the A pillar (couple of inches down from the top of pillar). But can't figure where it's coming from to get to there. It's not the drains from sunroof as I've stuck a boroscope up the pillar and no leaks (have noticed how retaining screw and plastic clips push against these drains inside pillar though)

My question is can water get into the cabin through the A pillar plastic retaining clips for the external trim. The top clip is close to leak area so I'm suspicious. It ain't the windscreen either as I have examined the seal very closely and all seems dry round the screen.

Thanks in advance for any help If you like it, who cares what other people think

Post #428692 21st Feb 2017 7:56pm
Stoich

Scotland 

Problem sorted.

Don't know if anyone has had this one before. It is the seam inside the gutter underneath the plastic strip on roof. Found it by spending a long time systematically checking when the leak would start.
Poured water on drivers side windscreen near top and worked my way up to top of screen and right along to passenger side. No water.
Then tried pouring directly onto plastic strip at top of pillar and about six inches back. Bingo, got water coming in after about 30 seconds, just a few drips over a couple of minutes. Dried everything up and tried again with same result.
Incidentally, I had removed the headlining by this stage as I had convinced myself it was the sunrooof as was getting ingress after hosing the sunroof, obviously because it was then running into the gutter.
On close inspection, I could see very small cracks in the seam sealer where the roof meets the side of the car. It looks like original panels, don't think ithey been touched from new.
I covered over the seam with good quality silicon this morning and tried pouring water over it just before dinner. Bone dry.
Going to leave it now to cure fully before giving the car a good hosing down prior to put the interior back together. If you like it, who cares what other people think

Post #428822 22nd Feb 2017 7:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1