Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > [Tutorial] How to ruin your top brake light!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Stacker

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Adriatic Blue
[Tutorial] How to ruin your top brake light!

Rolling with laughter This is my first tutorial Wink so go easy on me!

I managed to fix my rear wiper jet tonight, and was all very excited as it's never worked since I got the car! I had to remove the spoiler to fix it fully, so thought as my top brake light doesn't sit on properly, I would take a look and see what is what!

I took the light off the spoiler, and the cover literally fell off in my hands... convinced its been messed with before! The seal had obviously been broken judging by the state of the inside!

I took a look at the insides, as a few leds weren't working. seems to be quite simple, just LEDs soldered to the boards and resistors sort of between them. As you can see, it looks like the resistors on mine had burnt out, which seemed to be next to the LEDs that didn't work.

I thought as I didn't have the parts to fix it, it might be an idea to try and put in a red LED strip over the top, and solder it in. It does work, but isn't as bright as I would have wanted, and if I was to do it again I would have used one continuous strip of tape... But my boss was being tight as its £6 a metre, and it's made for 24v not 12v... On 24v it's very bright! The tape is actually RGB, but I only wired the red obviously as its a brake light, but maybe if I had done them all and gone white, it would have looked better, but the original LEDs are red, so wasn't sure what it would look like behind the lens!

Also accidentally put them different ways up, which is why the cross is in the middle with the cables!!

Test time, and it worked with no errors on the dash. Isn't as bright as standard, but will do until I get a new one. You will see the holes from the rust on the tail gate... I've got a replacement tailgate in with the bodyshop at the moment being prepared!!

Heres to hoping you laugh at me as much as everyone else! Thumbs Up 

Post #428860 22nd Feb 2017 11:34pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Whistle have a look here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wholesale-1-5M12...7xdLmry3hw Whistle 5 merters for less dosh, and super bright if you opt for the 5630 LED's Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #428873 23rd Feb 2017 1:04am
Stacker

Did you laugh though?!

Anyway my inner self can't buy that tape! Being from Hong Kong!! Although some people may use it and it will be fine, let me share a little experience!

We buy the tape for letters we have made up at work for weddings. The idea comes from the 'love' letters being like having. We have made our own that use 24v LED tape, so when we started we bought about 5 different types of tape on eBay, and tested them all. 2 out of the 5, actually burn themselves out! I put them all on wood, put 24v to them and they near enough were on fire and smoking, too hot to touch!

The stuff we ended up using was a product that is sold by one of our biggest supplies, probably made in a china and branded their own but is the best we have ever come across. Only downside is 50m of it is just over £300 plus vat!

It would be wrong not to show the letters though, I'm quite pleased 😜

Post #428875 23rd Feb 2017 1:27am
miggit

United Kingdom 

The Chinese are very good at selling what you want, even if they sort of have it.. 12v LED strip is a very common voltage so there is a 99% chance of getting exactly what you want. However if you should happen to get a another voltage and it's all getting too hot, you can add resistors in to the powerline and dial it down. Or add a voltage regulator chip Thumbs Up

FYI it is easier to reduce the voltage, than step it up..

Have you still got any of the self igniting LED strip? chances are it's 12 Volt !!

If you really wont buy from Ping Pong then how about these http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/led-flexible-arrays/8555949/ They are water proof too... that can only be a bonus in a ffrr Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #428887 23rd Feb 2017 9:54am
Stacker

I'm pretty sure the self igniting one was on a 12v driver, as we only switched over to 24v recently!

Anyway, that aside, hurricane Dave or whatever it's called has cost me the cover that I stupidly taped on overnight! Rolling with laughter

Post #428891 23rd Feb 2017 11:08am
Mr Tee

Scotland 

I have an old brake light you're welcome to , it has one expired led, or it did have many years ago when I took it off. Just cover the postage and it's yours.

Post #428895 23rd Feb 2017 11:28am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1