Home > Technical (L322) > Vibration around 60 mph
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
barted

Poland 2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black
Vibration around 60 mph

Hi all,

Thanks for running this forum. I own my 2004 V8 FFRR for over 3 years now and used a lot of knowledge you stored here.

Almost from the beginning of my FFRR ownership (bought with 80,000 km mileage and now it is 155,000km) I am fighting with a slight vibration, which is most likely a driveline vibration. It occurs only between 95 and 105 kmph (59-65 mph). It is felt as a seat and floor low frequency vibration, no noise. It is almost like car is accelerating and decelerating at high frequency rate. It is not very strong, someone who does not know, would likely missed that, even when driving the car. When accelerating quickly, you can pass this speed without even exciting the vibration. It is easiest to generate on a smooth, flat road using cruise control. It does not matter if gearbox is in normal, sport or manual mode. On 5th gear it is obvious. On 4th gear (but still the same road speed) it almost disappears, but I think it is still there, but covered by higher engine noise/revs.

What was done so far:
1. Previous owner had front diff and prop shaft fixed as a recall (famous spline issue). Now there is a front drive shaft with CV joint in the front and rubber flex plate at transfer case. I do not know the impact of this change -> previous owner.
2. Wheels and tires – this car had 2x sets of rims (factory 18” winter and Borbet 19” summer) and 5x sets of different tires: 2x sets old Dunlops that came with the car, then a set of new Pirelli Scorpions Snow&Ice, then a new set of winter Michelins and summer Conti Sports. All combinations generate similar vibration. However, when the wheel balance is bad, the vibration is getting worse. That made me obsessive about wheels balance. I am using only Hunter Road Force balancers and was also trying on-car balancing. Even perfect balance results in noticeable vibration in this given (95-105 kmph) speed range.
3. 5HP24 and torque converter were rebuilt. No obvious issues with the gearbox and the TC. Some clutch plates were replaced, TC lockup plate was preventively replaced. This was done at about 135,000km on the clock. Overall gearbox is a bih smother on gear shifts and quicker changes from D to R when cold. Apart from that, no change. Vibration is the same in magnitude and at the same speed.
4. Rear drive shaft carrier bearing (TOQ000050) was replaced. No change. Complete rear drive shaft was swapped from other used RR. No change.
5. Suspension was checked for issues multiple times. Some parts were replaced over that time (tie rod ends, lower track arm).
6. Tracking and 4 wheel alignment was done two times. Always in spec. Tires wear is even, no issues there.
7. Oil in both diffs was replaced. Came out clean as new.
8. Recently an oil in NV225 transfer case was replaced. Came out dark with some very fine shiny particles. Particles were so fine, that they were floating on the surface of the drained oil. This was the second oil change in this transfer case. First was at about 100,000km, oil was also dark/black, but I have not noticed any particles. Maybe this is normal, as torsen diff is relaying on metal-metal friction to lock.

Right now I am running out of ideas. I have bought a used, complete transfer case, which is now waiting in my garage to be swapped, to eliminate that issue. But my hope that this will correct vibes is rather low.

I am also thinking to buy IIDTool to check what TC lockup’s behavior at the problematic speed is. According to RRPhill posts it should be locked solid at that speed. Actually the speed at which lockup should be fully locked is very close to the speed that my vibration is starting. Not sure if this is related.

Any ideas? Help!
Bartek

PS. Forgive my English writing skills. I am doing my best. Sorry for the long post. Barted

Post #428915 23rd Feb 2017 4:29pm
barted

Poland 2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

I made a new observation today. Sometimes, when I lift off the gas pedal when accelerating, I can feel 0.5 sec vibration coming from rear or centre of vehicle. Vibe frequency and source seems to be similar to the steady-state vibration that I experience at cruising 60mph. However, using gas pedal, I can generate that in a wider speed range, like 45-80 mph.

Looks like the whole vibration issue became worse last months. I am dealing with that for years now, but seems to be more evident recently... or maybe it is just me.

Used but good (at least that is the hope) transfer case is still waiting to be swapped. I am waiting for a better weather, as I need to complete that on my driveway. 0'C and snowing here.

Bartek Barted

Post #429060 24th Feb 2017 6:23pm
umitbat

A Trap 2010 Range Rover HSE TDV8 Atacama Sand

Is this solved?
Mine does vibrate at 80km-h at 1750-2100rpm heavily .
when i downshift vibration stops at same speed.
The tranny is new.
Injectors read badly at 1 and 6(-3 and+3)
Can this cause it? 2010 3.6tdv8 180k km.
sold 06 td6 160k
Sold 03 td6 260k

Post #429063 24th Feb 2017 6:44pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Lots of threads about vibration Whistle

Search function Thumbs Up

Post #429064 24th Feb 2017 6:51pm
umitbat

i couldnt exactly find my description
i read a lot 2010 3.6tdv8 180k km.
sold 06 td6 160k
Sold 03 td6 260k

Post #429094 24th Feb 2017 11:24pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Does this help ?

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic6961-30.html

Post #429108 25th Feb 2017 9:28am
umitbat

My transmission is revised and my vib stops at 50 not 56 i dont know if this makes difference. 2010 3.6tdv8 180k km.
sold 06 td6 160k
Sold 03 td6 260k

Post #429114 25th Feb 2017 10:37am
umitbat

Vibration at 50 gone after servicing injector 5,
but it vibrates now when cold at 1500rpm:(((.at neutral. 2010 3.6tdv8 180k km.
sold 06 td6 160k
Sold 03 td6 260k

Post #430657 10th Mar 2017 8:03am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1