Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > pressure static when filling
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
Weejock

2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Epsom Green

I've had temperature overheat fault on my compressor before which is typical on a failing compressor (taking too long to pressurise so overheats). On investigating the wheel well had about an inch of water in it. On removing the water and giving it a chance to dry out it was still giving the overheat warning (despite not running so completely cold) so I forced it to run using IID tool. This dried it out the sensor enough to work correctly from then on and has been fine for the last two years.
The issue is two fold, the main electrical connector gets damp and temperature sensor then gives rogue readings as it's based on resistance. The sensor itself can give issues if damp gets in where the wire enters (the sensor is bolted onto the cylinder head). Heating it up can dry it enough to work again.
No doubt a dealer would have said just replace the compressor.

Static temperature is an electrical issue with the sensor signal unless your compressor is completely seized solid and not moving. This is completely separate issue from static when filling unless your compressor is completely seized up or simply not pumping. If you had both errors then I would say the compressor is probably Censored and would need bench testing to check.

Make sure the compressor connector is secured together, try taking it apart and re-seating it, I seem to remember it's not the easiest to get to together. Also check it for damp. Bearing in mind your compressor was stripped down make sure the sensor is in the correct place and not fallen off (which would give the error you now have), from memory it's bolted on the cylinder head with a signal wire coming from it.
I would hate to think of fitting a new compressor because the connector/sensor wasn't fully together properly Sad

Post #285550 10th Oct 2014 8:26pm
Joe90

England 

Aha Very Happy

Think I may have it fixed.

New compressor fitted today, cleared faults (had lots this time, mostly about exhaust valves, as have been driving around with AIR SUSP INACTIVE bleeping at me all week). Also changed relay with came with the compressor.

Started up, let settle then switched to off road, down to normal, down to access, then straight to off road, 1 minute! (see previous posts for what it was doing before)

Yet to road / time test, but hopefully sorted. If this doesn't fix it I'll go potty.

I bought my compressor from Miessler Automotive on eBay who supply just the bare Wabco compressor, along with the relay and new white clip for inside the turtle. This means a bit of dismantling and reassembly, but am a dab hand at that now! So the only new things you don't get are the temperature sensor and the solenoid which is bolted to the carrier ( and all the other wiring and pipework). It is a bit of a fiddle getting the power wires for the motor out of the connector block, but with a bit of prodding and pulling they come out. The relay they supplied was smaller than the "original" with smaller spades, but it fitted in the slots OK, and appears to work in the same way.

The Miessler alternative cost £259 delivered, so saved a fair bit on the "full package" available from others. .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #287303 18th Oct 2014 12:20pm
Welshdragon

Wales 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Monte Carlo Blue

Fingers crossed for ya, good to know that it goes up to off road height in 1 min Thumbs Up

Now you sorted that out something else will crop up next Laughing If it dont work.......burn it!

If the IId tool cant fix it.......burn the FF.

If the FF cant be fixed......buy a Land Cruiser!

If the LC cant be fixed..............................................BUY a horse !!

Post #287330 18th Oct 2014 4:21pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Sounds like that sorted it, top job, been thinking of piggy backing another compressor on mine to help out the raised off road height.... may have a play soon.... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #287357 18th Oct 2014 6:31pm
Joe90

England 

I'm going to call this solved for me Very Happy

It wasn't:

The pressure relief valve (removed/reinstated)
The pressure sensor (replaced)
The valve block (stripped)
The reservoir (tested)
The piping (tested)
The wiring (tested)
The ECU (didn't go there!)

It was the compressor (stripped, piston ring replaced, dessicant dried out, solenoids checked:)

Word of caution: My compressor was doing OK, but was slow to lift, so I carried out the bagpipingandy repair (new piston ring and seals). Only after this did the problems arise IIRC. So better to wait until it all fails ??

Learnt lots along the way, and have even less fear of taking things apart on the FFRR Smile .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #288815 25th Oct 2014 11:45am
Welshdragon

Wales 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Monte Carlo Blue

Good to here that pall Thumbs Up Thumbs Up If it dont work.......burn it!

If the IId tool cant fix it.......burn the FF.

If the FF cant be fixed......buy a Land Cruiser!

If the LC cant be fixed..............................................BUY a horse !!

Post #288819 25th Oct 2014 12:14pm
LandieMan

New Zealand 

Hi Joe90,

Looks like I'm going to be in the market for a compressor for my L322. It's now been a couple of years since you bought your Miessler compressor off eBay, is it still going well?

Post #429217 26th Feb 2017 7:51am
bmkennedy

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

if Weejock is at all available would very much your advice regarding the pressure switch on the L322 2004 air tank. Anyone else who may be able to help serious appreciation. you seem to know a load about testing to see where the issue may be on the pressure switch, our tank reads 23bar, replaced pressure switch and tank still reads 23bar, tank is empty but pressure not changing with new switch. in this chat you advised measure on yellow wire around 5v, is this a constant voltage, right now we have no volt's whether ignition on or off, have ground.

You mentioned testing at air suspension ECU to check voltage for pressure switch feed, could you advise more specifically where we carry out this test, apologies have tried to find your reference on the forum to having discussed this previously but to no avail.

We are based in Scotland, so if you are up hear would gladly try and get more help locally from you.

This has all started with 'air suspension in active', last year November, then I blew passenger front air bag, replaced that, didn't sort issue. Rebuild pump and desiccant, didn't sort issue. Replaced pump with new didn't sort issue, refurbished both valve block and rear crosslink valve, didn't sort issue. Diagnostics right from the get-go brought up 'reservoir pressure sensor not present' & 'Reservoir pressure sensor supply not present' TD6 2004 vogue, but forums advise most unlikely it was pressure switch. We try to clear fault but doesn't work. also replace drivers front air bag (just because) and rear right height sensor as its height reading where way way out to rest (46245), oddly this reading has not changed still way way out to rest. Car originally drove fine stayed at driving level just couldn't change height, then 4 weeks ago it went up to high ride and would not come down, that's when we changed the height sensor and drivers air bag but to no avail, car still higher on drivers' side

Happy to pay you for any help and advice we are desperate to get back on the road. Glenrothes

Post #645873 18th Oct 2022 2:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234