Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic - Other Cars > Fattys gone. PICTURE WARNING NSF FULLFATRR.COM
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Duracell777

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Nice.

Was at Lexus just before Christmas with my wife's I.S. They tried to tempt me into an LS460 when I mentioned I used to have an LS400.
When I told them that I needed 4WD the tech said I should have a LS600h. I declined but went off to investigate.
TINY boot due to batteries and not any better 0-60 because of the extra weight and only a slight (5mpg) improvement in fuel.
Not even the silence of electricity is much of a benefit as these cars are soooo quiet anyway. Not that good for towing either - wouldn't look right anyway.

When I don't need to tow anymore an LS is at the top of my shopping list. Love 'em!

Happy motoring.

Andy

Post #424347 22nd Jan 2017 11:12pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Thanks chaps...

Andy, the LS600 is a CVT and as such is slower than the 460 and according to all the guys in the US it does about the same mpg so I can't really see an argument for it apart from cheaper tax...!!! Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #424434 23rd Jan 2017 5:22pm
DannyH

England 2002 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

See ya Pete, good luck with the new motor.

Might still bother you sometimes for advice pal. Dan

2002 Zambezi Silver

Men And Motors RR Quote - It's like having wheels fitted to your living room!

Post #424537 24th Jan 2017 10:02am
Haylands

Well that didn't last long... the 460 had a mix match of tyres on it and a few other issues and as such drove pretty badly, well a few suspension arms and some new tyres and it was back to as it should be, we went away for the weekend and..... I hate it... my old 430 was great, it was so chilled out and had a very relaxing drive, they have tried to turn the 460 into a BMW, it feels like it's a puppy always pulling on the lead, all it wants to do is take off like a scalded cat all the time even when you breath on the accelerator... a totally non-relaxing and unpleasant experience...

So it's up for sale....

I need something that is easy to get in and out of, it needs to have big doors and a low sill, the A8 isn't bad but I don't really like them... So back to 4x4's or people carriers... Kids have left home so no need for 7 seats (not that we had 5 kids anyway..!!!) so a 4x4 it had to be...

Well you know what's coming next.........

I bought a JEEP.... Whistle Whistle

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to, it was a nice colour, and cheap, the salesman said I had to buy it, it was raining, Mercury had moved into my moons... it's not a leap year... and any one of another 101 excuses... Rolling Eyes

Actually it's quiet nice in a rugged sort of way, the interior plastics have come straight from a 1970's Datsun but at least you can jet wash the inside....

But, there is more bad news.... I've gone to the dark side.... it's a diesel.... Shocked Shocked

It's a Jeep Grand Cherokee WH 3.0 CRD Limited, it's a Mercedes engine and box

It had two nearly worn out tyres and the diamond cut wheels had suffered after a few years...

So I gave Mr Kahn in Bradford a ring as he has lots of take offs from Jeeps for when he customises them, picked up a brand new set of 2016 Wrangler wheels with Nov 2016 tyres, Goodyear Wrangler, for the princely sum of £250...

I know, I didn't believe it either, you can't buy two tyres for that...

But there you go, black and white....

They did have loads of sets so I suppose they just want rid... they are 2" taller and just needed a 3mm spacer on the front to miss the caliper, they don't rub...

Had them swapped over on the rims as I don't like the white lettering and then rebalanced and gave the bloke my old wheels as payment...

Then on the way home I stopped at my mates, he plugged his laptop in and 30mins later it now has 265bhp and 600nm and goes like stink and should still do decent mpg...

Anyway, I had a Mk1 Grand Cherokee years ago and really liked it's chilled out laid back way of life and luckily Jeep have kept to that, it's just "nice to drive" and also built for fat Americans so suits me well...!!

I have a double din Android unit in stock so when that's in it will be what I want, will be doing a lot on motorway miles this year and it's a nice place to sit, not a Rangie but then it doesn't pretend to be, and it's a darn site cheaper... (to buy and repair)

Stan, I better get banned now.... :thumbsup:

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold

Post #427986 16th Feb 2017 1:55pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

tempted to mate but i will move this rubbish to 'off topic ,other cars'...... Twisted Evil

Wink ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #427989 16th Feb 2017 2:01pm
MR GLOVER

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

4.2 ready when u want it pete Thumbs Up (got me telehandler so not have to sell it)

Post #428017 16th Feb 2017 7:49pm
Haylands

I'm having a break from fattys...

I'll be back when the 405 is cheap enough to off road.... Thumbs Up Pete

Post #428031 16th Feb 2017 9:59pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Is that a Quadra-Drive II system I spy Buddy?

I was tempted by one of those, but decided to get away from computers.. Do you have to plug a Jeep computer or an MB Star one to get at the engine ECU? If it's Merc and it starts throwing up MAF and Throttle Motor codes whip the air filter out and try again Whistle I learn the hard and expensive way Evil or Very Mad Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #428051 17th Feb 2017 2:31am
Haylands

Cheers for the tip, I was thinking of you, 600nm torque and three locking diffs should pull anything you want, bits seem very cheap as well.... Thumbs Up Pete

Post #428063 17th Feb 2017 8:56am
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Iirc only the centre is a proper locker. The front and rear are electronic limited slip diffs which need a bit of pushing usually to lock up. They can be very good but most prefer the original QD for lightnoffroad duty as they lock fully when they sense they are needs Smile

There is a guy on YouTube who's done loads of mods to his and even drowned it once and I mean drowned and lucky that he drained t off and the engine was ok as he stopped it when it got too deep before it stopped itself!

Iirc injectors on some of those crd can be problematic and gearboxes if fluids aren't done.

I'm surprised you didn't get the 4.7, 5.7, or 6.1 Pete as they have come down in value a good bit albeit I think rfl is probably a smudge higher! FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #429355 27th Feb 2017 1:11am
A1GSS

England 
Re: Fattys gone. PICTURE WARNING NSF FULLFATRR.COM

Haylands wrote:

This is one of the many things I love about Lexus...The gearstick, cupholders, radio volume knob, and all other center console buttons have been swapped over from the LHD setup that every other manufacturer, irrespective of price, dumps on RHD cars....

I guess this is because they are right hand drive in their home country (Japan)..? Graham

____
Gone: 10MY L320 RR Sport HSE, Ipanema Sand
Gone: 20MY Jaguar iPace HSE, Silicon Silver
Gone: 17MY RR Evoque SE Tech, Loire Blue
Gone: 08MY Discovery 3 XS, Stornoway Grey
Gone: 07MY FFRR TDV8 Vogue, Stornoway Grey

Post #429367 27th Feb 2017 10:24am
Haylands

kingpleb wrote:
Iirc only the centre is a proper locker. The front and rear are electronic limited slip diffs which need a bit of pushing usually to lock up. They can be very good but most prefer the original QD for lightnoffroad duty as they lock fully when they sense they are needs Smile

There is a guy on YouTube who's done loads of mods to his and even drowned it once and I mean drowned and lucky that he drained t off and the engine was ok as he stopped it when it got too deep before it stopped itself!

Iirc injectors on some of those crd can be problematic and gearboxes if fluids aren't done.

I'm surprised you didn't get the 4.7, 5.7, or 6.1 Pete as they have come down in value a good bit albeit I think rfl is probably a smudge higher!

You're getting your Jeep 4x4 systems mixed up, the Quadra TRAC 2 has three lsd's the center one with an electronic lock, the front and rear ones don't lock, as you have described. The Quadra DRIVE 2, fitted to mine, has three locking LSD's the center one locks automatically in 4 low, they all lock when speed differences between them are greater than they should be in normal driving, it happens in less than a full wheel rotation, a similar system to the later fatties which has locking open diffs...

The 6.1 is just stupid and I'll be back driving a puppy on a lead again and does MPG in single figures, the 5.7 is OK but drinks petrol as well, the 4.7 is less powerful than the diesel and does far less MPG so is a waste of time... I'd have been happy with a diesel fatty if the TD6 had been better and not inadequate for it's purpose...

This one won't be doing much, maybe the odd gentle green lane, it won't be getting off road modified... Thumbs Up

Graham, lots of countries drive on the right and make cars, only Lexus changes the center console for left and right hand drive.... Thumbs Up Pete

Post #429430 27th Feb 2017 6:03pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

^^ Whistle " it won't be getting off road modified..." Whistle

Hasn't someone already increased the diameter of their wheels Rolling Eyes Or does giving it more ground clearance not count as modified.... If that's the case then my Classic is totally standard.... even if it sits 6" higher than any other standard Classic Laughing

Pete who are you trying to kid.. you'll get board, see an American modded rock crawler and you wont be able to help yourself... Whistle Didn't someone say that they were fed up with 4 x4's and wanted something faster.. how long did that last, a fortnight? Shocked Mate you've got mud in yer veins... it's a disease with no cure.. the sooner you accept it the sooner you can stop throwing yourself effortlessly into little cars and then struggle to climb out again.... And yes I am talking from experience, It's easier to climb in a car than climb out Laughing Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #429466 27th Feb 2017 9:06pm
Haylands

I guarantee it won't get modified for off roading, the increase in tyre size was because of the nice cheap price, not by design..

I haven't got time this year to do much off roading, we will probably do a South Wales trip in June as the lanes are easy and the views are superb but the other dozen or so will be missed... We missed the day and night run, which I organise, this weekend due to other commitments...

I have other projects to sort and just too much to do...

I wanted a saloon because I like them, not because they are fast, we did plan on a few weekends away on the continent but that is now not looking likely...

I do have plans for a few mods but not for off roading, just to make it a nicer place to sit.... Thumbs Up Pete

Post #429480 27th Feb 2017 9:39pm
n1cktdv8

2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

More come backs than Ray Wilkins.....hows that good ole yankee Jeep forum Pete Mr. Green

Father in Law had the one like yours. Loved it, never let him down. Sold last year as he is getting on a bit and bought a smaller caravan...and Ford Kuga.

Am sure it'll serve you well. Is this where I put the car details and a bit about myself ?........

Post #429491 27th Feb 2017 11:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>